Cheeky camp spot near Arnside

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

liamg

Cheeky camp spot near Arnside

Post by liamg »

My gf and I will be driving up to Arnside for the Dales Divide late on the thursday (pre easter weekend). Does anyone have any recommendations for spots to wild camp? Ideally, it would be within walking distance of somewhere to leave the car as we'll be arriving pretty late and don't really want to faff with bikes, etc.

Thanks
boxelder

Re: Cheeky camp spot near Arnside

Post by boxelder »

Tricky round there I reckon - domain of OAPs and twitching curtains. Your best bets are:
1.The car park at the end of Sauls Drive G ref: 450774 - arrive late, leave early
2. The middle of the playing fields on Red Hills road - arrive mid afternoon and look really bad-ass surly.

For an actual campsite, Gibraltar Farm nearby is good.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

There's a wooded area between there & Silverdale, but i think it's as Boxelder mentioned & there's been some opposition to cyclists.. Get the feeling that there's some there actively trying to keep off road bikes out of that wood..

There could be some nice areas along the coast, but the weather would obviously have to be right..

Wherever you pick in that area i'd arrive late & deffo try to leave early..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I think you're talking about Eaves Wood Wotsits, which is a really important site for various reasons - butterflies, ants, tree species etc, so fair enough that they don't want bikes through there.
Trowbarrow quarry may work if sticking to dark, but don't leave a car there with anything in it.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

boxelder wrote:I think you're talking about Eaves Wood Wotsits, which is a really important site for various reasons - butterflies, ants, tree species etc, so fair enough that they don't want bikes through there.
Trowbarrow quarry may work if sticking to dark, but don't leave a car there with anything in it.
I think thats the place Boxelder, thought it was a SSSI. Quite a while since i've ridden there, but noticed a few things on social media over the years, always seemed to come across as anti off-road cycling. Understandable if it's an important area though..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
liamg

Post by liamg »

Thanks for the info chaps. Sounds like the best option is around Arnside Knott. We'll be arriving under the cover of darkness and leaving early so it hopefully won't be an issue. Cheers.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've kipped in my van on the far end of the prom before now. Don't be tempted to camp on the beach if its there when you arrive though :shock: