Lightweight shelters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Re: Lightweight shelters

Post by middleagedmadness »

BigdummySteve wrote:
RIP wrote:I can't see him but I can tell Stevo's wavering, oh the peer pressure :lol:
I’m beginning to think a tarp might be the only way to loose any weight, even the very spendy zpaks is 430g plus pole, plus additional pegs needed.
Just had a look on z packs Steve and the hexamid looks like the jobby 1 person 95 g if I hadn't got other stuff to buy for the youngfella then I may have already pay pal'd my money over :roll:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

BigdummySteve wrote:
I’m beginning to think a tarp might be the only way to lose any weight, even the very spendy zpaks is 430g plus pole, plus additional pegs needed.
Steve, just had a weigh up of some of the kit we have, used the kitchen balance scales and rounded up to nearest 5g.

BB Pick & Mix pole (enough sections to make 120cm for the Gatewood) plus six carbon pegs is 120g

Custom BB carbon pole for the Trekkertent tarp (115cm) plus six carbon pegs is 110g

Trekkertent cuben fibre tarp (the smaller one), Borah Gear cuben bivy, custom BB pole and six pegs is 420g

I suspect that the pick&mix poles are ever so slightly heavier because the sections are only 15cm so there's extra spigots to make the joins. Apart from the custom pole it's all standard kit though I bought the bivy second hand from Ian Fitz. The total cost was about £320. Using current prices you'd be looking at £415. Yes that's £1 per gramme :shock:

The Plexamid with custom BB pole and pegs is going to be around 530g at a guess.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Can't get the hang of the quotes thing Tim, so I can't quote your quote and reply to your quote. I'll have to give it a go sometime cos I think I managed it once. r_c (which is a curious moniker) the pole would be for my Trekkertent 9x7 custom cuben tarp. Oh, if Steve makes the right choice I'll then have a spare 110 carbon pole available.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote:Can't get the hang of the quotes thing Tim, so I can't quote your quote and reply to your quote. I'll have to give it a go sometime cos I think I managed it once. r_c (which is a curious moniker) the pole would be for my Trekkertent 9x7 custom cuben tarp. Oh, if Steve makes the right choice I'll then have a spare 110 carbon pole available.
Whats the right choice please Reg... I might make it for him if it involves kit :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

To be perfectly honest I think I've now totally lost track of what on earth's going on :???: :lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote:To be perfectly honest I think I've now totally lost track of what on earth's going on :???: :lol:
I think he'd settled for one of these https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-fa ... nt-p434157

(And a Bob trailer train :lol: )
redefined_cycles

I love these threads... :-bd

Cuben fibre trekkertent looks good btw

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/9- ... 50cm_8ft_x_
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote:I love these threads... :-bd

Cuben fibre trekkertent looks good btw

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/9- ... 50cm_8ft_x_
I've the smaller of those two sizes Shafiq, I think Reg has the larger size. Marc will do small customisations - I had extra lifters added as per the Alpkit tarps. Worth noting that cuben fibre though much lighter than Silnylon doesn't pack down quite as well. It also takes a few packing/unpacking cycles before it becomes less "sheet like", the lighter weights become like soft paper to the touch.

From your link in the next to last photo if you replaced the rear pole with a bike lying down you get what I was on about earlier today. In that configuration it's worth having lines on each corner to let the tarp lift a bit otherwise you end up continually touching the material.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

As bob says earlier I have a hexamid.

Mine is the long beak version with full net and a bathtub groundsheet. I’ve used it all year round in conditions from still summer midge-a-geddon through to wind driven snow. And rain. Plenty of rain.

I’ve had several tarps, shelters, tents etc and this is by far my favourite. It’s very weather proof, quick and simple to put up (once you’ve figured out the tricks) it’s well vented and although it can gather some dampness high up its never dropped on me.

There’s plenty of length for me on a neoair at 5’9”. Plus room inside the mesh for kit to one side and more outside under the beak, which can be clipped up or deployed. You could squeeze two people in emergency but you’d best be friendly.

In its bag, ready to pitch, with a Stu pole, carbon pencil pegs it’s 535g. I’ve had lighter systems but this is quicker, easier and provides top level protection against wind, rain and winged-teeth.

For racing I used my home-made waterproof bivy with sewn in midge net which is 275g. For everything else the hexamid comes with me :-bd

I bought mine second hand in great condition for about £200 in 2015. They are expensive but I’d buy another!
Last edited by ianfitz on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

I reckon now would be a perfectly reasonable time to add this just here

https://backpackinglight.dk/tents/one-p ... light-tent
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote:
RIP wrote:To be perfectly honest I think I've now totally lost track of what on earth's going on :???: :lol:
I think he'd settled for one of these https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-fa ... nt-p434157

(And a Bob trailer train :lol: )
:lol: :lol:

(blimey I've done it Tim!)

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote:I reckon now would be a perfectly reasonable time to add this just here

Crikey! USD price is £420 (plus duty lottery), that's £760 :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh, not seen this before - kinda like a Tarptent version of the Plexamid. Just 879 euro to you squire.

May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

whitestone wrote:
redefined_cycles wrote:I reckon now would be a perfectly reasonable time to add this just here

Crikey! USD price is £420 (plus duty lottery), that's £760 :shock:
I hope that includes kylie minogue inside :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Tarp and something like a kestrel and you are done but might get slugmouth if you arent zipped in.

Zpacks (other brands are available) uberlight tent if you like a decent sized bugfree zone. No crawlies in my pit at night.

Just remember its all about footprint - you can bivvy in places you cant tent.

Greetz

S.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I've just taken a delivery of a DD Superlight Tarp....

This is how the first pitch went in the garden

ImageScreen Shot 2019-03-20 at 22.25.12 by Escape Goat, on Flickr
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Scattamah wrote: might get slugmouth
:o :YMSICK:
Oh the horror

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Slug mouth is the least of your worries :grin:
I was in the garage this morning swapping forks on my hardtail when I spotted something out of the corner of my eye, 3ft long false smooth snake was making its way along the top of an internal wall. Managed to get it wrapped around a tree pruning pole and ejected it through the garage door. Dispatched it with a sharp spade to the neck, they're mid range venomous and can kill small pets so didn't feel much remorse.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Cheers Duncan, not doing much to convince me,so a tarp although light could bring about death by exposure,snakes or slugs/midgets.
Actually the exposure might not be a problem, I survived after exposing myself to the lovely French lady on the run to the sun :lol:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

so a tarp although light could bring about death by exposure,snakes or slugs/midgets.
F*ckin midgets ... why are you scared of us small folk!
redefined_cycles

I was dreaming 500g shelters (was debating with someone that said shelter is or isn't over 590g or something/the other).

Anyway... what do the hardened lot think of this. Claims to be minimal weight at 445g (I assume thats without the Poles which I assume is what keep it up)... Add some Stu specilaist Reg-requested types and surely you'd have something close to 550g but not at 550 squids (or slugs)
redefined_cycles

RIP

Post by RIP »

First it's midgets then it's eastern Europeans! ("without the Poles" ;))
Last edited by RIP on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Outdoor pursuits have a long history of xenophobia...

https://www.instagram.com/p/nRN_p2F9tD/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

what do the hardened lot think of this.
I think it's not actually waterproof. It has a rated HH of 1000, material should be 1500 minimum to be considered waterproof ... we're back to the lightweight innertube thing again.