Lightweight shelters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lightweight shelters

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You can gain some on both shelters by using the end tie-outs and some type of lifter but there's more to gain with the Deschutes because if need be, you can lengthen the pole and raise the entire pitch ... the Lunar's a one length deal kind of thing :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:You can gain some on both shelters by using the end tie-outs and some type of lifter but there's more to gain with the Deschutes because if need be, you can lengthen the pole and raise the entire pitch ... the Lunar's a one length deal kind of thing :wink:
But my mate Pythagoras reckons that making it taller also makes it shorter.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye yes indeed there will be a trade-off but you can't win 'em all. A compromise will be required but I'm not talking about adding an additional 12" or owt.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

After lots of procrastination I’ve ordered a Deschutes Tarp :-bd with my new über mat my sleep kit comes to
1169g plus pegs and a ground sheet. Hopefully under 1.5Kg all in.
On the wayfarer trip I ditched the revelate tangle and took the normal kit plus food, I’m hoping I can do a multi day trip without any front bag if I can get the tarp and mat in the frame bag, if so I’m looking at saving nearly a kilogram :-bd
The Deschutes won due to cost/gram ratio and I like the wide open front. On dry nights it will be a much better view than from the tent.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

BigdummySteve wrote:After lots of procrastination I’ve ordered a Deschutes Tarp :-bd with my new über mat my sleep kit comes to
On the wayfarer trip I ditched the revelate tangle and took the normal kit plus food, I’m hoping I can do a multi day trip without any front bag if I can get the tarp and mat in the frame bag, if so I’m looking at saving nearly a kilogram :-bd
The Deschutes won due to cost/gram ratio and I like the wide open front. On dry nights it will be a much better view than from the tent.
I didnt twig that was you at the Wayfarer - apologies.

Also, we're about the same height, if you can fit in a deschutes I imagine I can well enough. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BigdummySteve wrote:After lots of procrastination I’ve ordered a Deschutes Tarp :-bd with my new über mat my sleep kit comes to
Job done... well done. Good choice. So my thinking isnt too far behind yours (for the trekkertent stealth which without the inner should be around sub500 with both poles and pegs!

Well done Steve (or did I already say that)... I imagine you didnt go for the cuben version
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I didn’t realise they did a cuben one, if I get on with this beginner tarp i might look at other posh stuff, but to be honest I’m in the diminishing returns area kit wise.
There are a few bike bits where I could save a couple of hundred grams but I’m not willing to spend the cash until bits brake or wear out.

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

my new über mat my sleep kit comes to
Hope you've factored in another kg or so for a hammer to get the pegs in :shock: the ground is like concrete atm, it rained on Tue for the first time in 9 weeks. Clearly theres another 5 weeks to go till we set off so anything can happen. Btw did you get my mail re spare spokes, mech hanger, gas cannisters etc?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I did thanks Duncan, do you really think I need spare spokes? I carry one of those emergency Kevlar spokes but have never broken a spoke if my life despite riding like a drunk monkey. Of course if I don’t pick some up they be be going off like jumping jacks :shock:
9 weeks without rain? The U.K. has after our mini winter heatwave returned to form, I needed a boat on the way home last night.

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

It's the usual dilemma, if you bring them you won't use them! That said, the number I've broken in 2 trips has prompted me to replace all my spokes in both wheels with 2mm straight guage rather than the double butted that they were built with. The front is a 36 spoke on a Stans Arch rim built by Just Riding Along which is one of the best builders in the UK. My point is that there are some components that we'd be unlikely to get and could stop us dead. For the sake of a few grammes, I'd bring some, this also applies to a mech hanger. For the sake of balance, on both trips we've had tyres that were irrepairable due to large slits in the sidewall. Last year the owner of a campsite drove 80km to the nearest shop to get a tyre and only accepted payment for the tyre. It's not down to riding style, 1,000km is a long way to push your luck,or your bike.
What are you doing re stove? I'm bringing my meths kit and 5 days worth of instant porridge and coffee, the rest we can get en route. Don't forget a mini rucksack for shopping.
6P's Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
Oh, and don't turn up without a helmet.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Congrats Steve, finally there; it's been an educational thread this - literally at your expense :-bd . thank you for that. And as RC says you now have the pleasure of building up to the cuben version at 214g :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:42 am
what length pole do you use with the Gatewood?
114cm Bob, so 115 would be fine. There's a little more wiggle room with pole length than there is with a Lunar.
Been looking at ones of these stu would the 1100 pole I had off you work or am I gonna need the extra 40mm
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Been looking at ones of these stu would the 1100 pole I had off you work or am I gonna need the extra 40mm
It'd probably be a little to close to the ground Stu. A slip-on extender wouldn't be a problem.
middleagedmadness

Grand ,once I make my mind up (probably after WRT) I'll let you know ,not sure I need another shelter at the moment quite happy with tarp and bag but may crave a bit more coverage if it's wet this year
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll stick mine up at the WRT if you want a closer look fella.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bl@@dy annoyed I can't make the start of WRT :sad: :mrgreen: . And now I'm going to miss all these impressive erections orchestrated by Stu as well. If I'm lucky maybe he'll grant me a private viewing later.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:09 pm Bl@@dy annoyed I can't make the start of WRT :sad: :mrgreen: . And now I'm going to miss all these impressive erections orchestrated by Stu as well.
Yeah, pretty annoyed I'm not going to be able to see it too. Blinkin' family wanting to spend time with their dad/husband... What's the chances of us getting a nice photo gallery of the assorted shelters to peruse at our leisure?
middleagedmadness

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:52 pm I'll stick mine up at the WRT if you want a closer look fella.
Perfect :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

How bulky is the Deschutes? Or perhaps better: how small does it pack? Given it's 20% heavier and made of the same material as the Alpkit R3.5 I'd imagine, hmm, 20% bigger than that?

The Gatewood looks like it would be half that (the new version that is).

Unsure whether and which one to pull the trigger on. :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

whitestone wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 pm How bulky is the Deschutes? Or perhaps better: how small does it pack? Given it's 20% heavier and made of the same material as the Alpkit R3.5 I'd imagine, hmm, 20% bigger than that?

The Gatewood looks like it would be half that (the new version that is).

Unsure whether and which one to pull the trigger on. :wink:
I'm going through the same dilemma Bob but the saving grace is just had to buy a new washer dryer and £200 on the boiler for a repair British gas reckon isn't covered in the contract so buying a new shelter is gonna have to wait giving me chance to see the Cape at wrt
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I spent part of this morning with various poles, bits of string and tape measures laid out on the living room floor trying to work out how much vertical room over my head and feet there'd be with each model :geek: Basically, using the recommended length of pole for each shelter, the Deschutes has an extra 25mm of space at 1m distance from the pole.

Beginning to look like the Gatewood shades it :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

middleagedmadness wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:17 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:52 pm I'll stick mine up at the WRT if you want a closer look fella.
Perfect :-bd
Perhaps we could organise a mass shelter pitch?

Gari

Post by Gari »

Just about to order a nano to use inside my Khufu,
Wanted to check with those that have one if it’s a pyramid shape or a wedge? Hard to tell in the photos I’ve seen. A wedge would be pretty much unusable in the Khufu I expect. Thanks.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a pyramid shape Gari.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Thanks Stu. Hopefully it’s highland midge proof🤞🤞