Stan's and temperature difference

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Stan's and temperature difference

Post by middleagedmadness »

Does Stan's have different sealing properties when it's cold ,I don't mean in the weather wise but when your riding obviously the air temping the tyre is higher than when it's been left in the garage , pulled some thorns out the other day on a ride and one spin of the wheel and sealed ,took off the wheel yesterday to fit new cassette and found some more so pulled them out spun the wheel but the garage wall looked like a giant had jizzed all over it and the hole (2-3mm) wouldn't seal and I ended up putting a plug in it for now ,the only thing I can think of is the air temping the tyre causing it to seal quicker when warm ,any ideas? ( Will repair fully with a mushroom when I've got time to wrestle the tyre off the rim)
benp1

Re: Stan's and temperature difference

Post by benp1 »

I would have thought it was due to the size of the hole? You want slowish release so it has a chance to cure I would have thought?
middleagedmadness

The hole was smaller than some of the other monsters I'd pulled out Ben ,that's why I'm thinking the warmer air thickens the Stan's faster ,if so I pull the little feckers out when I'm riding in future
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Don’t know about temperatures, but age and already having used the granules sealing a hole will obviously make a difference.
middleagedmadness

Yep ,but it's only about 6 weeks in the tyre Ian ,so not sure ,looks like bringing the wheel into work though so I can use the vice on the tyre ,as I get older my thumb's get weaker :lol:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ingredients include anti-freeze (or an eco version of it now iirc), so it should work across anything we encounter in the UK. It does tend to separate with time etc. I keep meaning to play around with my own mixture, I bought the ingredients a few years back and keep finding other things to do in the meantime :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Perhaps not much fluid is left after filling up the other holes? If it’s first time the tyre has been tubeless, some of the fluid will initially cost the inside of the tyre, leaving less for holes. Top it up and see how it goes.

Can’t see temperatures being an issue this time of year (perhaps mid winter in, for example northern Scotland may affect it) but it’s fairly mild now
middleagedmadness

voodoo_simon wrote:Perhaps not much fluid is left after filling up the other holes? If it’s first time the tyre has been tubeless, some of the fluid will initially cost the inside of the tyre, leaving less for holes. Top it up and see how it goes.

Can’t see temperatures being an issue this time of year (perhaps mid winter in, for example northern Scotland may affect it) but it’s fairly mild now
From the state of my garage wall there was easily enough fluid left ,not the first time tubeless for the tyre so already well coated ,just a little bit strange ,ah well the bung will do for now and then a permanent fix with a mushroom
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I didnt read it properly! D’oh!!
paramart

Post by paramart »

I always leave stuff in the tyre no point pulling them out unless it's metal, then let some air out it seals quicker,
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
middleagedmadness

paramart wrote:I always leave stuff in the tyre no point pulling them out unless it's metal, then let some air out it seals quicker,
I think that's what's gonna happen mart ,all of these are from our last outing ,the bleedin penkridge cut was like thorn heaven
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i assume the friction of movement [ being in a tyre that is moving] has some impact on[ increasing] the fluid temperature and therefore the viscosity
I have no idea if its enough to cause what you describe or whether other suggestions are the real answer,

I have never pulled thorns out my tyre - what is the advantage of this when you have tubeless and it is not leaking?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My Krampus tyres still have around 16 thorns in them from last years BB200
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

paramart wrote:I always leave stuff in the tyre no point pulling them out unless it's metal, then let some air out it seals quicker,
That’s all well and good until you need to use a tube. Granted I’ve not had to in the three years since I saw the light but I’d got into the habit of pulling the thorns after washing and still found several big ones when I changed tyres. I imagine if I’d not been pulling them it would have been into double figures.

For the bigger holes if less than plugging size I’ve carried an emergency bottle of stans with lots of the kids glitter in it. It really does work.

As for the not sealing at home I’m not convinced it’s the temperature, I think it’s more to do with the movement. If I pull a big one :shock: I just ride off and forget about it, if I try the same thing at home while spinning the wheel it seems to take much longer to seal.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
middleagedmadness

Right just put a mushroom in tyre ,(permanent repair according to the fleets ATS man ) when I sucked out the Stan's before removing the tyre to plug I expected nothing but got 150ml out plus what's stained the garage wall at home there must have been 200+ml in it ,me thinks this may be a bit over compensating ,what do you guys normally put in a 2.8 tyre
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

In the summer, never had an issue, in the winter or snow, it doesn't seem to seal as well.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

middleagedmadness wrote:Right just put a mushroom in tyre ,(permanent repair according to the fleets ATS man ) when I sucked out the Stan's before removing the tyre to plug I expected nothing but got 150ml out plus what's stained the garage wall at home there must have been 200+ml in it ,me thinks this may be a bit over compensating ,what do you guys normally put in a 2.8 tyre
I don't use Stans but always Effeto Caffelatex. No real reason other than it was the first sealant I bought and it's always worked well.
They have an app (yawn!) that lists tyre size, type, use etc and gives an amount to put in. I tend to follow this and add a bit more with the first set up.
I guess the recommendations should work for other sealants of similar viscosity- pretty runny...
Tubeless ready. 29x2.3 = 90ml
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Should have read your post better.
Tubeless ready. 29x2.8 = 140ml
WSC
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Lazarus wrote:

I have never pulled thorns out my tyre - what is the advantage of this when you have tubeless and it is not leaking?
Depends. I can eye up some thorns and I just know it will wiggle and keep opening up the hole and re-sealing and repeat. When you stop it;s fine, but then you ride and it wiggles and let's stans out. Pull it out, and it either seals, or you need to shove a plug in it...
Some are fine and I just cut the tip off.
When it's a stone, it can be a bit of a PITA...
middleagedmadness

Gone onto the mushroom as a repair zippy a bit more faff but they work really well
Attachments
2019-03-17_08-42-25.jpg
2019-03-17_08-42-25.jpg (141.65 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
middleagedmadness

And from the inside
Attachments
2019-03-17_08-42-14.jpg
2019-03-17_08-42-14.jpg (130.57 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Looks a little heavy duty for a bicycle tyre :-bd could you not carry either a dynaplug or bacon strips.
My oneup EDC tool has a plug kit and I’ve successfully used a heavy duty version on a car tyre without sealant.
Although the car version is only a temporary fix if left it in for half a year :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've been thinking about this as I've also found that if I pull a thorn out on the trail and just ride off it seals... but I've pulled one out in the garage and spun the wheel and it just sprayed Stans about.

Could it be that riding on the wheel opens and closes the hole slightly as the tyre flexes and this somehow affects the way the Stans gets into the hole? I also wonder if the dirt being pushed into the outer surface of the hole sticks to the Stans and gives it a chance to set/seal? I had a puncture from a thorn on a tarmac cycle path the other week and it took ages to seal, the front of the bike (and me) had a good coating of sealant. Never had the same issue off road and the Stans must have sealed hundreds of puncture over the last 10 years.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
middleagedmadness

You may have something there Sean ,before Christmas riding down the new tarmacked canal path had a cut off a bit of glass got drownded by Stan's as soon as I got on the unsurfaced path it sealed in seconds, hadn't thought of that before you thought of it :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I tend to stop and move the hole to the bottom so gravity helps stans find the hole.