If you had ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

belugabob

Re: If you had ...

Post by belugabob »

Get the train from Gatwick to Plymouth, then take my time riding home, along the coast(ish)

Now, if only I had some train tickets on my desk....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not prying, don't answer if it involves deportation orders, why is it compulsory to stay in the UK?
In all honesty Duncan, there's a lot of faff with air travel especially living here, I love the UK and there's parts I've never visited but I do appreciate the offer and would tell anyone more faff tolerant than me, to get themselves over to you.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's a list of islands I want to visit so I'd head for Islay and just work my way north.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

train [home] to scotland Cairngorns or highland 550 then cycle back to glasgow and go visit some relatives [ something different if midge season]
Alec

Post by Alec »

If you had access to a pack raft id be tempted to try and play snakes and ladders is Scotland, ride till you reach a suitable river, bimble down it when bored ride to the next and keep going and see where you end up.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

This question returns regularly doesn't it?

And it's definately not the first time I suggested riding S-N through the UK, linking bits and bobs of know routes like the dales 200, the peak 200, HT550, the lake 200 etc.

Out of central Wales could catch a lovely route at Leicester. Then Derby-Buxton-Edale-Glossop-Hebden B-Malham-Dent-Kendal-Keswick-Gretna G-Moffat-Ardrossan-Dumbarton-Oban-Castlebay-Stornoway-Ullapool-Thurso-Stromness-Kirkwall-Lerwick.

I must have the route or the track from riding it lying about some where.
Nothing hard, just easy offroad travelling through some of UK's lovelyness.
Or even better, draw your own route.

If you just leave the house with no route, you risk ending up on roads, where as you could be sneaking past cities and other congested areas on lovely dirt ribbons with some research and a route.
Surely both ways of travelling are alluring.

Not flying to a holiday destination is a big fun part of it  :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Boat to Ireland? Or from Scotland to Ireland and back home?

Distillery tour of Scotland?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It probably does Gian but people have new ideas / thoughts and no harm in letting the more recent members play the game :wink:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

See how many cups of tea you could have at boners houses.
Like bothy bagging but no staying over, just brew and onto the next one of your disciples.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Assuming the weather is perfect and the midges haven't come out
Train to Mallaig.
Then a Fat bike and pack raft trip (with ferries) through Skye and over to the Outer Hebrides.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
It probably does Gian but people have new ideas / thoughts and no harm in letting the more recent members play the game :wink:

Good game for all sides :-bd
mountainposture

Post by mountainposture »

This is a game? :o
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Life is a game.

The happiest wins :grin:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Good question. I've got two weeks to kill in this year without going abroad so: I've joined the Peddars Way to the Harcamlow Way to the Ridgeway then made up a little bit and joined up some other routes to take me across the Quantocks and Exmoor then down across Dartmoor to Plymouth. This gives a route from the north Norfolk coast to Plymouth using a little road as possible.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I'd either circumnavigate Mull, or some tour of the western isles. Either way i'd be up that neck of the woods, unless the midges were out, in which case I'd just go exploring the innards of Wales.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I'd link all the NP's in England and Wales with NCN type routes and then off road through each of the parks. Taking in the highest (legal) pass or peak in each park.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hebrides and Highlands for me I think or Wales, round it / up and down it ish. Can I go twice and do both please :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Do a sort of super WRT theme style ride: all Edward I's castles; English Civil War battlefields; etc.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Sweary Dave is on the money...the EWE.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've received a copy of this today, which is now giving me an obvious idea :wink:

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I've received a copy of this today, which is now giving me an obvious idea :wink:

Ooh good call, I love a Neolithic monument, I once went to a performance of the tempest at the Rollright stones, at just the right moment a thunderstorm passed through the valley behind.
Ancient trails like the ridgeway often connect stone circles, the feeling of traveling through the lanes and landscape of our forefathers is a very strong connection.
I know some here dislike prescribed trails but following our ancestors footsteps can really give us a way to connect to our past. How many of us have passed on the ‘opportunity’ to bivvy at waylands smithy? I have, it just didn’t feel right.

A tour of the stones would set me right :-bd

I’d recommend reading a book called ‘pathways’ by Dave Stewart. We’re not the first to tread these lanes.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

BigdummySteve wrote:
I’d recommend reading a book called ‘pathways’ by Dave Stewart. We’re not the first to tread these lanes.

Aliens???
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

LeJog off road if I had to stay in the UK. That would involve trains which can be stressful with a bike.

Or ride over to Hull and catch the ferry to Holland and head for Ikea land for something different.

We've done a couple of trips where we've ridden from home to a ferry port. Nothing simpler.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

2 weeks- I would go to somewhere that is "not-like-where-I ride-every-week".

Lets face it Mid Wales is great and having been riding off road here since 1988 (when you could tell who was out riding but the tyre tread pattern in the mud...I kid you not), I do appreciate it for what it is - "the big green" in summer or the "big-kind-of-orange-brown" in the winter...with every other direction of the up variety.

So go some where "other" - the flat lands of Norfolk.... "Atlantic Coast" style riding along the North Cape in Scotland... etc. What ever it it, just make sure its 2 weeks of "different".
RIP

Post by RIP »

'prescribed trails' - that might be me then :smile: . I think ancient tracks are not the same somehow, not 'prescribed'. I doubt it was called 'The Ridgeway' thousands of years ago, people just used it in their daily lives without thinking about it. Still, maybe that's how our descendants will view the Pennine Way etc centuries from now :smile: .

'Different' is a good plan too, shakes you up a bit.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster