Packed bike weighIn Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Packed bike weighIn Thread

Post by whitestone »

I remember reading about a rider who rode all the cols used by the Grand Tours, I think the route/challenge was called "100 cols". His total kit, on a road bike, was 3kg.

As James notes, when it's summer and warm and dry you really don't need much in the way of kit.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

It's the best dual use of a down jacket. I could keep ice cream frozen for a couple of hours in the evenings in Colorado doing that. Problem was, knowing the ice cream was there made me want to stop sooner..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:13 am I remember reading about a rider who rode all the cols used by the Grand Tours, I think the route/challenge was called "100 cols". His total kit, on a road bike, was 3kg.

As James notes, when it's summer and warm and dry you really don't need much in the way of kit.
So I might be going slightly extreme now. But for the upcoming Peaks200 in a couple of weeks. If the weather stays happy like this. Assuming that I'm only taking the sleeping gear for extreme need and will try best to keep going through the night (with an mtb batts up front and a NiteCore 1000lumen -running at 400 - on my helmet). Then I might get away with just :

The Hunka XL (500g)
Rab Down jacket (400g)
Klymit skeleton thing (still needs slow leak plugging) cut down (250g)
Rapah Winter waterproof gloves (not the extreme deep winter ones) (123g)
Spare socks (in case it gets extremely wet and I need to swap out)....

Anyway... you get the gist could make a potential sleep kit down to 1500g... or just not take any at all. Bob you seem to know the Peaks200 well enough (care to share thoughts!).

What I personally know of the Peaks is to always take my wet jacket and winter gloves and underhelmet hat as you never know when it starts hailing
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:06 am I took ginger beers yesterday... amazing how cool they can stay inside a black framebag after 2 and 4 hours of riding :grin:
Shafiq, I put ice in the bladder in my frame bag then stash my cold beer (other beverage options also available) next to that. :)
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:42 am The Hunka XL (500g)
Why not leave it at home if it's only one night with dew but otherwise no (or extremely unlikely) precipitation.

Take your lightest sleeping bag/quilt instead. This way you can also leave the down jacket at home too.

No bivy bag needed. If it snows it's practically never warm enough for the snow to melt on the sleeping bag/quilt. When proper cold you don't even get a slightly bag shell. Shell in this case is 7d ripstop Nylon. Nothing special, just thin af.

Thunderstorm smitten trips in the Alps, thus a bivy bag as I knew I was going way above the elevation of Alpine pastures where huts and other sorts of shelters can be found. Here I find a bivy bag handy.

I often bivy out with my quilt(s) without a bivy bag of any sorts. No idea where this "oh, but it's so draughty" comes from, but I often come across it (bikepacking but also hiking related). We only need tuck ourself in.

I question every item when out for a trip. Every trip is different and may require different gear to keep me comfy when in movement and help me find good sleep.
redefined_cycles

Gian... Thanks v much for that idea and I might just do that and see how goes it...

Techno Mail (sorry I forgot your name :o )... Thats a smart idea especially since I do keep the bladder in the freezer anyway. So next time will leave a little eater in it when putting away. Indeed the whole point of the ginger beer feeling like a prize at the sey milestones is when its uber cold (or is that ultra!)...

Thanks all :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

On trips where I plan to ride through the night I carry one of these

https://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com/s ... bivvy.html

It's not breathable and sleeping in it would be a last resort (which helps with the carrying on through the night bit) but it would keep me alive if it all went pear-shaped and I had to stop riding, e.g. mechanical I couldn't fix.

It only weighs just over 100g and is the size of a small apple. I've never had to use it yet and no doubt it wouldn't be a comfortable nights sleep but I'm used to that :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I do the same as Sean. Especially this time of year.
I go with enough gear not to die but not enough to be comfortable. That way in the deep of night I see carrying on as a better option than stopping.
Definitely helped me on the B150 when I was feeling sorry for myself in Horner woods in the dark :grin:
Last edited by lune ranger on Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I do the same as Sean. Especially this time of year.
I go with enough gear not to die but not enough to be comfortable. That way in the deep of night I see carrying on as a better option than stopping.
Definitely helped me on the B150 when I was feeling sorry for myself in Horner woods in the dark :grin:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:37 am On trips where I plan to ride through the night I carry one of these

https://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com/s ... bivvy.html

It's not breathable and sleeping in it would be a last resort (which helps with the carrying on through the night bit) but it would keep me alive if it all went pear-shaped and I had to stop riding, e.g. mechanical I couldn't fix.

It only weighs just over 100g and is the size of a small apple. I've never had to use it yet and no doubt it wouldn't be a comfortable nights sleep but I'm used to that :lol:
In which case the Hunka XL ia my friend... Whats 400g between brothers (I mean bivis)... 😊
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Gian, pretty much agree with you except for one thing - midges :shock: I'm prepared to take a lightweight bivy bag with midge net to keep the blighters at bay.

I've used the SOL Escape bivy (the heavier version than the one Sean linked to) along with a down vest and been fine - Audax hotel, AKA a railway station waiting room, not out in the open.

Shafiq - whatever system you use trial it first before you need to use it in anger, even it that's in your back garden. Just because something works for Sean, Gian, me or anyone else is no guarantee that you'll be happy with it. I've tried the Peak200 once so don't know it that well though have done the trails around Hope and Edale a few times. Water might be a problem especially on the southern part - if there's too much then sections like Gratton Dale and the woods before Chatsworth will be glue-like mud, if those are dry then you might struggle to find water to drink (or for prayers).
redefined_cycles

I will indeed (try) Bob. Another option I just thought of (all on my own but obviously its been inspired by weeks of watching the dots as well as the chstter on here. Mayne not too clever but just a little clever. My waterproof jacket and massive goretex trousers.

Might try sleeping a few, well minutes, out in garden with them some time next week... or maybe try myself a BAM :-bd :sad:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:16 pm Gian, pretty much agree with you except for one thing - midges :shock: I'm prepared to take a lightweight bivy bag with midge net to keep the blighters at bay.
Absolutely agree. I go extra distances (literally and gear wise) to keep them off me.
On the last trip to Scotland I was really lucky as my midge net was proper poor show, but it was too windy for them. I do not count on luck when it comes to the creatures from hell...
Yet, it's simply not an issue at all in the Alps (given a certain altitude) so I tend to forget them...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:16 pm midges :shock:
I'm lucky that there aren't any here. Thinking about when I've taken the emergency bivi, one was the B150 and it's midge free? the other was the BB300 and every living thing not riding a bike was washed out to sea by the storm :lol: and a few bike riders nearly were as well!

If I'm planning to sleep I always take a bivi with a built in midge net but for me it's to keep the slugs/snails out.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fatbike and kit for a one-nighter (including 1.5L of water) - 18Kg
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:22 am Fatbike and kit for a one-nighter (including 1.5L of water) - 18Kg
Can we safely say thats uberlight territory.. or is it just ultralight (uber being more extreme than ultra right :???: )... for a fatBike??
redefined_cycles

84.7 -

21.8 kg

(Rather a lot of food: 6 sarnies/3 nanas/lots of bars and plenty emerhency bars/ halal emergency haribos and spare halal emergency haribos/ 2 ginger beers one of which wrapped in down jacket and other next to water/ alpkit hunka xl (+ the jacket as quilt :wink: )/tools/ spare merino socks/spare merino swanky jersey (I'm just wearing an ultra thin swanky one/370g wearing/worn Lowe Alpine wProof jacket/thin gloves and early winter Swanky emergency gloves/spare tube/miswak (herbal toothbrush as advised by Muhammed PBUH)/BT speaker/ power bank and few cables/1.8L water in bladder/spare squished 1L empty Buxton bottle/shovel/2 of Stus finest Voile straps in UKgreen/all divided into 1L saddlebag/my refurbed WC Leopard full framebag with wrongwayRound zipper and now filling full frame after extending BrandX drooper cable/Revelate barbag and pretending waterproof front feed bag-pouch and a Swanky wProof top tube bag/bar feed bag (lovely recycled Cordura from Stu :-bd )....
redefined_cycles

Gonna keep niggling at me and I won't get my final 20ish mins sleep!

Spare 1 set of brake pads/rear Exposure flare light/Nitcore 200ish g headlight/MTB lumenator light on Thomson GoPro faceplate with them bolt adaptors/a waterproof thin bag for gadgets (as well as using the AK Drybag in case the rain does come afterall ).

*Swanky = Crikey, how much :grin:

----------
Edit: how useful it was talking through my kit list. Just before snoozing for that extra 20 mins I realised I'd forgotten pump :shock: so put reminder on for it and gonna add it to bike just now :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just to say, weighed the #Wildcat (B+/Rebas mode) and it's 17.7kg - plus water - for this weekends shenanigans. I expect it'll be a bit heavier once it has soaked up some of the coming storm though! :|
redefined_cycles

Not sure if I got my TLS strategy right. But with the extra weight of the forks I'm still weighing in at 20.5kg (was pretty close last time I think)...

Have put thw alpamayo on to try and see if I can shpulder it a bit better for stiles n gates (locked). Will just undo that strap on top tube at the seattube end and seems ok...

Tools and a few bars in saddlebag (1L).

Spare merino/windbreaker jacker; MTB batts battery: Osprey collapsible rucksack; Nitecore torch for head duty and a few bars inside half frame bag.

Yellow tinted Spectacles (to keep me cheery) in Stu-special ethically made Acepac mountain feedbag (something will go in later I'm sure).

Sleepin bag; mat; hunka xl bivvy inside bar bag and a couple of cheese n onion, 2 Graze bars and couple of twix (missus doesnt know yet) from her secret stash [and now a couple of bramley apple pies and my honey in a thin plastic mintsauce tubs added to Acepac feedbag too] inside the front pack of the barbag...

Oh... and shovel and wProof jacket in front harness

:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:

"shovel" - snowdrifts? :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:55 am :smile:

"shovel" - snowdrifts? :grin:
Poo shovel... Just as a backup plan Reg :-bd :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you're backed up you don't need the shovel...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Apologies for pursuing this delicate subject. It's the size of implement that I'm concerned about (on your behalf) rather than the item itself - trowel fair enough, shovel... mmm.. prunes (arg) in stem cell as backup? :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If that's for the BB200 you might want to swap the yellow tinted glasses for rose tinted ones :lol: