Attaching a quilt to a mat, any tricks?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Attaching a quilt to a mat, any tricks?

Post by pistonbroke »

The mat thread reminded me that I've been trying to find a solution to this problem.
I move about a bit whilst asleep so get cold spots when using a quilt. I thought about carefully attaching press studs to my Exped mat but cannot find ones compatible with my Alpkit quilt and they cannot help me. I'm aware that some quilts use a lacing system behind the mat but I'm not keen to be trussed up like a joint of beef. Tried sticky back velcro but it doesn't stick to the mat. Any bright ideas?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Attaching a quilt to a mat, any tricks?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't attach my quilt to my mat but have thought that some wide elastic sewn to the edge of the quilt to form a strap that run from quilt edge to edge and long enough to go under the mat, might do the trick. Obviously, you'd probaly need two or more.
May the bridges you burn light your way
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

You could try those elastic straps with clips on, that come with ironing board covers
This is just a guess, as the (maybe just perceived) minor temperature gradients around the edge of the quilt puts me off.

Currently trying to mentally justify the cost of a small pack size, down bag, at the moment, so risking cash on a quilt is a non-starter
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Go to a haberdashery and get some 20mm elastic tape; 20mm snap locks and some mitten hooks that have a 20mm slot at the other end. Should be fairly obvious how to fit everything together. Then you just need some loops of cord on the quilt for the mitten hooks to clip on to.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Thanks for the tips, if I'm reading it right, the straps would pass under the mat attaching to either edge of the quilt. This is the trussing up effect I'm trying to avoid. The ironing board clips could work if attached to the mat but I'd be worried about puncturing the mat with the teeth of the clip. Does this sound paranoid?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I completely understand that a mobile sleeper might end up with cold spots. I normally lie on one side and barely move at night, but I've woken up a couple of times with a cold back - but only when I've been in a tent. If tarping, I'm always in a bivvy bag. That constrains the quilt movement a bit anyway.

The "under-mat" elastic cord on my Cumulus has loads of adjustment so you'd get it to work OK without it being too tight. The two "over-mat" cords are also adjustable for snug-ness (I'm using it without any at the moment, just as a bit of an experiment).

Attaching the quilt to the mat seems to me like a bad idea. It would be harder to adjust for warmth and could make getting in and out of it a bit of a chore (one of the reasons I've removed the cords)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Found some on Amazon.es that look ideal, 4 short clips to see whether clipping to the mat works and 2 long ones to go under the mat if they don't.
Thanks for the tips, mitten hooks, who knew!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

pistonbroke wrote:Thanks for the tips, if I'm reading it right, the straps would pass under the mat attaching to either edge of the quilt. This is the trussing up effect I'm trying to avoid. The ironing board clips could work if attached to the mat but I'd be worried about puncturing the mat with the teeth of the clip. Does this sound paranoid?
No! You make a loop that passes right around the mat. The mitten hooks can slide around on this loop and you clip the quilt to these as you see fit, i.e. one side or both sides.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Ah, I see, that would work. Thanks for the explanation, the straps on Amazon are looped so should work with minimal faff.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Have you not thought about the velcro that comes with sticky backing 3m... surely velcro (or 3m) will do a version thats most appropriate to stick to fabric...

Then you just stick one side to the unde side of the mat on some of the edges... other side to some of the edges of the acrual quilt.

Then just velcro them together when lying down. I've recently just bought somethibg sinilar (sticky backed velcro) by 3m. It has a mushroom type vecro attachment so theres no seperate hook and look but rather both sides (hook hook) attach to each other. Pretty secure hold too and maybe if the sticky backing (3m vhb) doenst adhere well to the fabric of the mat/quilt you might able to use an iron on solution afterwards.

Hope that maketh sense

https://www.amazon.co.uk/25mm-Black-SJ3 ... 06CZM3V799
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Or maybe get the sow on version and then see if it can be ironed on with something from (example) Pennine Outdoors ??
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Having tried a quilt a couple of times now I'm wondering if it needs a skirt so as to avoid cold spots for those of us that move around a lot.

I was thinking that you'd basically have the elasticated strap attaching a few inches inward of the edge of the quilt, basically allowing movement without opening up the side of the quilt to the outside world... if that makes any sense. Wouldn't be the most weight efficient obviously, but for those of us that can't stay still, it would be one hell of a feature.

Who's handy enough to help me make one?!? :grin:
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Just throwing this in the ring, I `ve never used a quilt so I don`t know, but could I assume a quilt is not ideal for a "active" sleeper?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's also going to depend on what clothing you are wearing whilst sleeping, but as above. I find a lightweight bivvy bag makes the whole system less draughty.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find a lightweight bivvy bag makes the whole system less draughty.
This.

Anyone struggling to sleep beneath a quilt due to the reasons mentioned above, might consider a Big Agness sleeping bag - there's no isulation on the bottom of these, just a material sleeve to put your mat in. Still lighter than a full bag but not quite a quilt :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Jurassic pusher wrote:Just throwing this in the ring, I `ve never used a quilt so I don`t know, but could I assume a quilt is not ideal for a "active" sleeper?
Possibly but then I find I get wrapped up in a sleeping bag as well. Wearing something that doesn't drag on the bag/quilt's material will help you move around.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I move around while sleeping and much prefer a quilt for the reasons Bob mentions above. It's also worth thinking about the size of the quilt ... bigger / wider the quilt, the more it'll hang over the sides and the less draughts. Sleeping under my Enlightened is very different to a Cumulus.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I came up with this super easy and most functional solution for my DIY quilt.

The white 'clips' were cut from some robust plastic containment for icecream (if I recall correctly).
The quilt has three attachment points (webbing loops) on each side.
The lowest/bottom loops are simply tied together with a little elastic. I hardly ever open it so much, so it has stayed in place ever since.

The upper loops are at about hip and shoulder height, respectively. The clips are simply hooked to the loops and secured with gaffer tape. Permanently.

Then, I have tied the ends together of two thin, elastic cords, which hang off of one side of the clips so the cords don't get lost during packing/unpacking.

When I have inflated the mat, the two elastic cords go around the mat (depending on thw situation at this point mostly detached from the one side of the quilt). Each roughly in hip and shoulder position.

When getting ready to sleep I attach the clips on one side to the elastic cords. Usually about 5 - 10 cm from the edge of the mat. Then I repeat it for the other side.
This way the quilt goes only around my body and not around my body and mat.

Works really well. If I have to get up in a hurry (those moments when a bear or moose runs through the camp) I simply sit up. With enough tension, the elastic cords slide out of the clips by them selves.

But then, I only clip the quilt to the mat when I'm pushing the comfort limits of the quilt.
8/10 times I don't use them.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I find a lightweight bivvy bag makes the whole system less draughty.
This.

Anyone struggling to sleep beneath a quilt due to the reasons mentioned above, might consider a Big Agness sleeping bag - there's no isulation on the bottom of these, just a material sleeve to put your mat in. Still lighter than a full bag but not quite a quilt :wink:
I find this is more a head thing. Of course, a bivybag will make your sleeping system warmer, but also will (and to a much greater degree) even just half the amount of the bivy bags weight in down make your sleeping much system warmer.

If the forecast is accordingly, I often sleep out with just a quilt or in winter just a sleeping bag. I also like a good view from where I sleep. Yet, when it's very windy you might want to rethink your camp spot rather than urging to bring a bivybag...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A quilt needs to drape over the sides rather than sit on top of you, think of an inverted 'u' cross section rather than an inverted saucer. The Cumulus quilts are quite narrow so if you are, ahem, bigger then you'll get draughts.

I notice that Cumulus have moved from their original figure of eight shock cord arrangement to something similar to Enlightened Equipment's method of securing the quilt to the mat. I think it's Big Agnes who use a system very close to what Gian's done.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it's Big Agnes who use a system very close to what Gian's done.
Big Agness use a material sleeve for the mat to go in ... almost a sleeping bag but with no insulation in the bottom shell material.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Alpinum's crystallised a vague thought I've been having too, which is that if the weather's fine but very cold more fill in your quilt/bag might be 'better' than adding a bivvy bag. Likewise if it's raining I'd rather change etc under a tarp than inside a bivvy bag. Two reasons I've continued to resist a bivvy bag. I can understand the stealth aspects of a bivvy but a quilt/bag on its own is just as stealthy. 'Each to their own' :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Alpinum's crystallised a vague thought I've been having too, which is that if the weather's fine but very cold more fill in your quilt/bag might be 'better' than adding a bivvy bag. Likewise if it's raining I'd rather change etc under a tarp than inside a bivvy bag. Two reasons I've continued to resist a bivvy bag. I can understand the stealth aspects of a bivvy but a quilt/bag on its own is just as stealthy. 'Each to their own' :smile: .
I don't tend to think of bivvy bag and tarp as an either / or but as something most often used together ... unless conditions are near perfect, a bivvy bag on its own is something I rarely look foward to.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I think it's Big Agnes who use a system very close to what Gian's done.
Big Agness use a material sleeve for the mat to go in ... almost a sleeping bag but with no insulation in the bottom shell material.
I've got one of these - a Yampa 45. It's actually quite nice but mine is a regular size and the sleeve doesn't take a wide pad. Ive had it for about 4 years I think but not used it much, as I tend to use a hammock when it's warmer and have a quilt for that. Definitely worth a look though.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye fair enough Stu. I really ought to just give it a go and see what it's like rather than rudely sniping from the sidelines - I really can see the appeal but can't quite tip meself over the edge. One day.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster