What mat ? Exped or thermarest or ??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

What mat ? Exped or thermarest or ??

Post by firestarter »

New bag on the way now for a mat apr to Sept possible usage bag is comfort rating of zero deg , looking possibly at Exped Synmat UL7 or a bit more expensive the THERMAREST NEOAIR XLITE
Thanks in advance
ScotRoutes

Re: What mat ? Exped or thermarest or ??

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH, I doubt you will be disappointed with either. Personally, I prefer the UL7 as it it quieter.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I have both and definitely prefer my long/wide Exped, though it's heavier and dosn't pack down so small. I sleep on my back a lot and never really get comfortable on the Neoair as my arms flop off the sides. I use a quilt, so am not cocooned as I would be in a sleeping bag. And as above, it's quieter, much easier to inflate (with a Schnozzle bag) and deflate.
I'm just going outside ...
HUX

Post by HUX »

Ul7 and sea to summit ultralight insulated here. Both great mats
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As Colin says, either will do, the Exped and Thermarest NeoAir ranges are the most popular on here. Some have gone with one range, some the other. Both are "noisy" in that they aren't like a mattress on your bed at home but they aren't a rave going on in the next room.

Generally get the warmest you can afford and isn't too bulky as a mat doesn't have an upper temperature limit like a sleeping bag or quilt.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

TheBrownDog wrote:never really get comfortable on the Neoair as my arms flop off the sides
Have you got the large neoair Tim? I have the big one and don't have this problem

I've changed from a pump sack to a mini electric pump on my neoair. It's about the lighter than the big pump sack (the small one isn't particularly good), packs smaller and is far easier. I'm sure there must be an exped one.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Cheers all I'll have a ponder
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

In the end went with a thermarest as it has lifetime warranty and was I stock in local shop so it's now in my hands. Light but very slippy. Thanks all
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

benp1 wrote:
TheBrownDog wrote:never really get comfortable on the Neoair as my arms flop off the sides
Have you got the large neoair Tim? I have the big one and don't have this problem

I've changed from a pump sack to a mini electric pump on my neoair. It's about the lighter than the big pump sack (the small one isn't particularly good), packs smaller and is far easier. I'm sure there must be an exped one.

No mate, I bought the regular one. Which is 183cm long and just 52c m wide. Why? Because I'm an idiot. Pure and simple. The large one would have done the trick, I think, but I was rather focussed on cutting pack size at the time. No idea why .... probably because Im an idiot.
I'm just going outside ...