Wildcat - the final sale

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

darbeze

Re: Wildcat - the final sale

Post by darbeze »

This is a shame. I have a seatpack, which every time I use, makes me happy. It is seriously well made, well designed and does exactly what I want. I fit it and forget it, with full knowledge that it will do what it is supposed to do.

An excellent product made by people who are clearly very keen on cycling, bikepacking and the outdoors in general.

Sorry to see Wildcat go.

Thank you Beth and Ian.

Si

:-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

There's some wonderful comments here, thank you all :-bd

It's been a lot of fun, and hard work too, as DB points out. Overall the last 9+ years has been rewarding, especially when reading some of these comments, and we're pleased the gear stands up so well (perhaps too well?) to the serious abuse that bikepacking in the UK and wider world throws at it.

To answer a few specific comments, in no particular order;

Bob - I think I know what you're referring too, I'll have a rummage in the garage and see what I can find :cool:
JC - sorry old chap, these were a one off to see if we could. But you knew that was going the answer anyway :wink:
Jameso - thanks dude, that means a lot to us.
Ian - that would be cool, keep in touch
Various others - thanks for all the positive comments and well wishes. We've definitely not been forced in this direction, but we felt is was time to call it a day or a variety of reasons. The hard bits have been trying to keep everything UK made in the face of product development / marketing / sponsorship from major manufacturers. From where we started, the market has changed a lot, and there's a lot of choice out there now with pricing for far-east made kit being competitive. The good bits have been making gear that works, without the major produt development programme, marketing, sponsership and fancy manufacturing equipment and processes. We always tried to innovate, not immitate, and as Steve says, we were the ones they copied :ugeek:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can only echo what others have said, although I can add that being 'there' for the conception, birth and now demise (wrong word probably), I wonder just where the time has gone. Things have changed but those who innovate tend to be remembered, where as those who simply imitate, are soon forgotten.
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

Sad news to hear that Wildcat Gear will be no more; innovative and ahead of the game in a market that is now, shall we say, "well served" by all and sundry!
Best wishes for the future, keep those pedals turning (and maybe some more tales on Middle Ring?) :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Sad news - my Wildcat kit is great and seems to last for ever (which is not good if you want to sell more!) - All the best to Beth and Ian with whatever they do next!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Wishing you guys all the luck in the world for future endeavours!

:-bd
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

All the best Guys, all the best.. :-bd
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Wishing all the best and good luck for the future Ian and Beth... 2 custom frame bags that fit perfectly and are still going strong here... best bits of kit ever. :-bd

Just picked up a double ended stuff sack too... been thinking of one for ages.

Thanks for trashing me all those years ago too on the first trans wales Ian - opened my eyes to what could be done if I tried harder too :grin: :-bd
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

So long Beth and Ian. Not a lot to add to anyone else, but wish you all the best, thanks for what you've done to the community :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks Zipp, Mark and others. Just to be clear; we're not the leaving the planet or anything :lol: there will still be riding and bikepacking going on quietly in the background. I might even update my blog one day... Don't think I'll make the WRT this year, but and I hope to make it down to other events in due course.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Sorry also to see the Wildcat brand go. Although having never owned any of your gear, I've always heard fine positive comments about them.
All the best for the future...
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Another thanks from here - for the kit I've been using for years, and in advance for the stuff that this "vulture" has just ordered to have in (and be able to change colour schemes :grin: )
All the best.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ah... well... sub standard.

Thanks.

For what you did and how you did it. Unpretentious, authentic, innovative and in a style I can much relate to.
The two of you. Both of your riding and how you managed Wildcat.

I took lots of inspiration from the front Harness to make my own and am looking forward to taking the Drover on some more trips.

All the best for your Wildcat-free future.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

All the best Ian and Beth, got a few things from you over the years (Inc 3 frame bags!) and its been good kit. Happy biking etc.
Phil
barney

Post by barney »

Thanks Beth and Ian

Not just were the products great but the service extra special... you can't buy that with certain "bigger brands".

Sad but happy for you both as I can imagine it wasn't the easiest decision.
Wait for me...
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

So just made my final purchase... completing the "full house" of Wildcat products (yes I have at least one of each) with the last Standard Cheetah in the shop (not needed but just would regret it if i let it pass... to make the full set) .

End of a era... having made my first forays into the world of "modern-era" bike packing 8 years ago with "front-and-rear" from Wildcat, its been perfect kit.

Thank you Wildcat.
Last edited by NorwayCalling on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I'll add my best wishes Ian and Beth.

Used my seat harness for all sorts of on and off road riding, and fully intend to put it to use again on Paris-Brest-Paris or the TransPyrenees this year.

As my Revelate tanglebag is looking a bit worse for wear and also a bit small for my new frame this thread has prompted me to pick up a last of the line Ocelot. Perhaps it'll be a collectors item in years to come when everyone else has mass-produced generic framebags.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

All the best for the future Ian and Beth. Gear is second to none. Have just purchased a new Ocelot and drybag to complement my other wildcat gear.

Good luck :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Sorry to hear. Only last week I was thinking of contacting Beth about a new frame bag for my next adventure but will have to look elsewhere now.

Best wishes for the future and will think of you whenever I use your bags over future years.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Doh! Went out on the bikepacking bike for the first time in a few months as I've been favouring the gravel recently, lo and behold the frame bag zip broke! It peeled back from the closed side about half its length. I managed to close it working the zip opener backwards if that makes sense but I think it looks a bit wonky. From previous experience with suitcase zips this usually heralds the beginning of the end. Strange thing was there was nothing in the bag as I was just out for a quick recce of a new C2C section. Time to find a local seamstress I think!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Sometimes zips can be restored, but your bag will have done more miles than most! With the coil zip, sometimes the teeth recede slightly into the fabric they're wound into, and pushing them back out from the inside can work if the teeth themselves aren't too "blunt" to engage properly with each other. Similarly, the slider can benefit from a tweak with some pliers, gently closing the back of the slider so the pressue on engaging the teeth is greater - squeeze the slider 90 degrees to the plane of the fabric and its direction of travel, if that makes sense.
FlyingFox

Post by FlyingFox »

Just had my last purchase delivered from you. Needed a harness to complete my main setup, and so glad I could get hold of one of the double dry bags.

Delivered just 4 days after ordering, still fantastic service till the end.

All the best for your future plans. Your kit will be going for a long time yet!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Ian & Beth, I've just seen this as I've been out of the loop for some time with injury and other life stuff going on. I totally get it, and I'm sure it's a wise decision.

Your bolt on framebag is still going strong and took a lot of sub standard on tour divide, I'm quite sad I can't get another for my impending pinion frame. Maybe I'll get the frame made to be the extact same front triangle as my current one! :grin:

All the best in your future adventures!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Stuff arrived. Cheers!

I just have to hope my bar harness holds up for quite some time now as it's the only one I've ever found that I like!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Really sad to see this, one of our own hanging up their sowing machine! :cry:

Got a fair bit of stuff off you & its all been top quality, the service you've both provided has also always been top-notch too!
That incldes a few repairs that you've done for me very recently!

Just been on & amongst other things bagged the last Wayfarer..

Thanks Beth & Ian..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!