A Blast from the Past

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

A Blast from the Past

Post by whitestone »

As a counterpoint to the wood burning stove thread ...

Many years ago, like 30+, I bought an MSR stove off a mate. They only did the one model at the time, variously identified as the G, GK or XGK with each iteration depending on which fuels it could burn. I'm not sure which mine is but I've used all sorts of flammable liquids in it including dry cleaning fluid :shock:

For some reason I decided to have a ratch around the loft to find it and see if it would still work. An hour's searching and I came up trumps :grin:

So here's a shot with a BB 8g meths stove for scale.

The fuel bottle is a genuine MSR fuel bottle from the time. The instruction/information sticker on it suggests that one pint of fuel will melt enough snow to make 24 quarts (effectively 24 litres) or boil the same amount of water. The metal "hook" at the bottle end of the fuel line is a catch to go round the pump body to keep things together - you don't want pressurised petrol spraying over a hot stove! The knurled knob just visible behind the burner unit is the sparker handle, no need for matches with this stove. It really doesn't follow the TLS principle, not included in the shot are the windshield base and side - heavy duty aluminium foil 200mm high and will take a 200mm diameter pot, the whole lot: stove; pump; bottle and windshield is a smidgeon under 500g.

Here's the pump

There should be a plastic air line exiting the pump to the left and bending in the opposite direction to the fuel line. The pump is almost upside down in that shot - the fuel line sits in the bottom of the bottle and the air line touches the top. The air line had perished since I last used the stove so I'm also a bit wary as to the condition of the pump body.

Trawling through my memory I think the last time I used the stove was on Mt Kenya around New Year 1989/1990 :o I remember frying chips on it, proper chips in fairly deep fat. The GK is a serious bit of kit, we'd refer to it as "the Saturn V" due to the roar of the burner - ear defenders were optional :grin: MSR stoves are field serviceable so I'll check the seals in the pump but I'm not sure what will need replacing. Worst case will be a new pump which is looking likely as MSR have told me they don't do spares for such an old model (tsk, tsk! :wink: ) but the bottle might need replacing as well as the pumps don't use the same interface as Sigg bottles and the like.
Last edited by whitestone on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Borderer

Re: A Blast from the Past

Post by Borderer »

We recently shared a bothy with an old timer using one of these. After he cleared out next day I found it had left great clumps of soot behind on the table, which I then had to clean up. :sad:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hmm, soot indicates that either then or on previous burns he hadn't run it at the correct temperature. Basically full blast for most fuels as it doesn't simmer well.

Still, he should have cleared up after himself :roll:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I used my omnilite stove in a trangia in a NT bothy in Devon that I stayed in with my son. It was ridiculously loud in there, very good but very loud. I'll be getting a berniedawg silencer for it at some point. I'm sure you could pick one up for your XGK too
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

whitestone wrote:Hmm, soot indicates that either then or on previous burns he hadn't run it at the correct temperature. Basically full blast for most fuels as it doesn't simmer well.

Still, he should have cleared up after himself :roll:
That wasn't all! It was by far the worst behaviour I have ever come across in a bothy so it was particularly shocking that it was from one of the old guard.

Yes he had the thing going full blast with flames shooting up in the air. Sounded like a jet engine!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

whitestone wrote:The fuel bottle is a genuine MSR fuel bottle from the time....but the bottle might need replacing as well as the pumps don't use the same interface as Sigg bottles and the like.

I'd check that if I were you.
The really old msr pumps did work on Sigg bottles. They changed the thread in the early 90's I think.
Ran Fiennes took such a stove on his unsupported Antarctic trek with Mike Stroud. They too Sigg bottles and didn't check.
Day 1 in Antarctica they discovered the problem. The pimp goes on but is loose. They spent the next 100 days knowing that at any given meal they may blow themselves up or burn the tent down!!
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

That is so FREAKING COOL. I've got one of these on my shelf - an Optimus stove that burns kero. It's massive and bulky and the fuel is dreadful but I take it on caravan trips for its entertainment value. It's incredibly temperamental - spurting and spluttering - but it makes a wonderful noise once it's up and running.

I'm just going outside ...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In the same cardboard box with the MSR were a Primus stove and an Optimus stove like that one. :-bd Again no real idea how long ago I last used them.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I used to have an Optimus 8R when travelling by motorbike. I ran it off petrol and so always had a ready supply. We used to joke that I could mount it on the back of the bike and use it for a extra propulsion.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

When I read the post title and saw the stove pic I was expecting a conflagration type pic at some point!
As it happens, many years ago my Dad was using a primus stove on the summit of Ben Nevis. The pressure relief valve had stuck (unbeknownst to him) and when it started to get a bit lively he retreated to a safe distance to watch the results. Eventually the solder let go which let to a substantial fireball and a very dead stove....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Blimey Tim, that thing is out of some sci-fi horror film! Fantastic. My first stove in the late 70s was an Optimus petrol jobby. It folded up inside a blue metal box, and had to be started with a meths pre-warmer thingy. The large fuel tank folded outwards putting it an inch further away from the burner which I couldn't see making any safety difference whatsoever. The whole thing was basically a bomb waiting to go off. Using it one time I noticed a small flame jetting out of the relief valve. I watched it for a while trying to work out how it got there then tapped it out with a finger. In reality I should have legged it smartly away and hidden behind a tree. Just searched for them and they or similar are still available apparently - £200!!! Should've kept mine.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
paramart

Post by paramart »

my msr is similar to bobs but slightly newer I burn petrol/ thinners/panel wipe, as stated not a simmering tool, can't see how he had flames leaping about in the bothy as once running they glow and flames are small, and make really loud noise so not a popular item in close proximity areas, great bit of kit which I used for the 1st time in 10-13yrs at the dragon rally when my pocket rocket canister started to freeze, not to big for bikepacking but stealth would go out of the window, think most good outdoor shops do spares
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I remember the Optimus fold out stove Reg, sure I had one at one time. I'll check (and photograph) the two that are still in the loft.

Whilst looking up info about the MSR I came across this site https://classiccampstoves.com/ just brilliant, I mean, the "Fettling Forum" :-bd To paraphrase Kryton from Red Dwarf: "Geek Heaven!"

I've ordered a new pump for the GK - MSR/Cascade Designs reckon that it will fit the original fuel bottle. We'll see, if it doesn't then I'll get a new bottle.

All tests will be done outdoors :???:
Last edited by whitestone on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm a member on that forum...! More of a lurker though
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

benp1 wrote:I'm a member on that forum...! More of a lurker though
Me too. Not been brave enough to poke my head up lest my naive questions stir the trolls.
Blimey Tim, that thing is out of some sci-fi horror film!
It's definitely of another age. Ive got the original cardboard box too. Just a brilliant thing to have, I think.
I'm just going outside ...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The fold-out Optimus is the same 8R I had.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm just amazed we're all still alive to tell the tales. At the very least I'd've expected one or more of us to be now lacking eyebrows.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote:I'm just amazed we're all still alive to tell the tales. At the very least I'd've expected one or more of us to be now lacking eyebrows.
Speak for yourself! :lol:

Anyway, here's the two boxed stoves

On the left we have an Optimus 8R petrol stove.

And on the right an Optimus 86L paraffin stove

I've really no idea how long it is since either was fired up and running.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Climbing in Chamonix years ago ('88?), some Russian climbers were selling cheap Ti knock off versions of the MSR. I'll never forget a fella we'd met running through the crowded campsite holding a flaming bundle, which he hurled over into the next field, followed by small explosion. Could have been a lot less funny.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Nice find bob! I think we have an inherited msr of similar vintage somewhere in the kit room.

Pretty ferocious things under power :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I still have a very vivid memory of a certain someone firing up an MSR on the very first Winter Bivvy and sending a ball of flame rocketing up into the tree he was beneath ... no wonder we made him go and sleep in the 'annex'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I had a Primus similar to the The Brown Dog's photo earlier. When I started work in 1976 my first purchases with my new found wealth was a Primus stove, Blacks down sleeping bag (£25) and a Vango mkII LW tent. I recall asking my dad to write me a cheque and me giving him the cash to buy the tent mail order. I was only 17 and you could not get a chequebook until you were 18. It was £37 in a sale.

I used the stove loads but lost it during a house move in 1985. No idea what happened to it. I have thought of buying a second hand one but know I would not use it.

I gave the sleeping bag to a friend who had fallen on hard times and the tent I chucked a couple of years ago as the cotton had gone a bit mouldy after many years storage and no airing.

(I was on £29 per week for a 37 hour at this time and the tax rate was ~34%)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well the new pump has arrived and it fits the fuel bottle :-bd

Gulp!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have two Whisperlites in the garage: one gas and one liquid fuel. I can't recall when I last fired them up. 20 years for the liquid and 15 for the gas?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Northern England this afternoon :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way