650b+ Older Fargo

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

650b+ Older Fargo

Post by lune ranger »

I'm enjoying my Fargo immensely since I built it up.
In the end I plumped for a narrow/light wheelset in 29er size.
I'm hoping to add another set of wheels and potentially retire my Krampus. I have a 2015 steel Fargo and understand it would take 650b/27.5"+
Has anyone done this?
What is the max size one can cram in the frame/fork. Ideally I want as wide a rim tyre as possible in order to make the most of the plus-ness.
Thanks
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mariner

Re: 650b+ Older Fargo

Post by Mariner »

The spec for 2015 states a 29er x 2.3 as the max tyre size.
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/2015_fargo_2
How 29x2.3 equates to 27.5x3 you will have to research.

Guitar Teds Fargo page has a history of the Fargo but does mention 650b until the later models.
http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/p/ ... sions.html

If you have got or can borrow a tyre/wheel combination just try. It will either work or not.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Guitar Ted looks to be the most detailed info on it. Can't find an awful lot more out there. Searching brings up the post 2017 models mostly.
It would seem 27.5x 2.8 on an i35 rim goes with more than adequate spacing.
The fork takes my 29x 3 on an i49 rim Krampus wheel fine.
I'm gonna try a 2.8 on an i40 Scrapper rim out back in a while if I don't here anything contrary to that.
I think it'd be useful to have the option for plumper tyres at times.
I'm also trawling eBay for a suitable (100mm QR) suss fork with an uncut steerer to add into the mix n match approach.
WSC
Joe

Post by Joe »

I just converted a Jones 29er to 650b wheels, before I could only fit a 29x2.3 in the back but since the tyre is further back it's not easy to compare and will depend on your chainstay design. I used a WTB trailblazer 2.8 in the back which is designed to go in 29ers, it's got a slightly narrower tread width and a wider casing so it fits in 29er frames but still has lots of volume.

I also tried a 27.5x3 wtb ranger and there was absolutely no room (wheel wouldn't even turn), mostly because of the wide tread.

I can measure either of those tires if it would help you, just let me know.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Joe wrote:I can measure either of those tires if it would help you, just let me know.

Thanks. If you could measure the Ranger and tell me what rim you have it on that would be ideal.
I'm wanting to run a 2.8 Ranger on a Sraper i40.
Thanks again
WSC
Joe

Post by Joe »

Sorry it's not a ranger I have on the front of my Jones it's a 3.0 Bridger, which measures 76mm on a 45mm id scraper rim, I've got a trailblazer on the back which is 67mm on a 40mm id scraper rim.

I found this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cec5nxU8-A0 video where the guy measures a wtb ranger, might be useful to you?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

:-bd
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The results are in:
2.8 Ranger tyre sitting pretty on an i40 Scraper rim. Adequate mud clearance - loads of space to the bridges, closer to the stays.
The ride is sufficiently different to warrant the second set of wheels. I have a 3.0 tyre at the front and had some fun on Dartmoor today. It doesn't have the smash it's way over anything feel that I get from the Krampus. It's grippy and reassuring and not too hard to spin up to speed. Weight wise the 27+ is way less than my 29+ (but very different components choice) and fairly similar to the standard 29er with 2.4's.
Happy bunny!
WSC