Medical cirtificate of fitness?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Medical cirtificate of fitness?

Post by FLV »

Hi. Does anyone have experience of obtaining a certificate of fitness to enter events in Italy.

Ive asked my GP but they wont do it for insurance reasons.

Any ideas?

Ta
Alpinum

Re: Medical cirtificate of fitness?

Post by Alpinum »

Not knowing how it is in England, but ... seriously? There must be an association (or similar) for GPs, ask them for a written statement. If the response is positive, go back to you GP with that statement and tell him what to do.
If negative, contact the event organisers and ask/tell them about the situation.

Does the event organiser have a template?
If yes, ask the GP again..?

Good luck Dave
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I have had a few, but in France.

It's a basic check-up.
Make sure the doc names the sport you are going to do. And any other sports such as scuba diving etc that you may want to do as well.
It usually has to be done within a year.

Main problem is that some 'Frenchies' refuse them if they are not written in French or state the exact sport you are doing.

I tried to do the Tour du Mont Blanc sportive but my medical 'to do sports' did not specify cycling. So I did it in my own time.
30 or 40 Euros for a 20 min check up.

Check with the event if they will allow a UK certificate in English.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Fake one?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Its the tuscany trail, he states in his faq that a letter from the doctor would also do.

Ill try a template
slarge

Post by slarge »

|For the Tuscany Trail I used a letter from my doc that said there was no medical reason I could not do the event. The letter stayed unopened in my bag as the organiser never asked for it.

You could always just show the E111 card - that's all the insurance you could need (or maybe not post Brexit)
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I don’t think it’s a show stopper for the TT. I’ve previously just wrote down my E111 number on the entry form, although not sure how relevant that will be after this March!!

I think it’s more relevant for Italians to check for any underlying health conditions.

Somebody actually passed away during last years event, but it wasn’t a health issue. They had apparently gone off route & rode into a chain that was placed across the trail ☹️
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
gairym

Post by gairym »

I don't think Andreas has ever looked at my medical certificate for the TT. I'm pretty sure I didn't even bother taking one last year and wasn't going to this year either.

But when I do need one I usually fake it from one I got years ago with some light Photoshop date tinkering.

:-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers guys. Ill not stress it too much then
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I used to ride a lot of sportiv's in France. Initially a mate who's a GP used to sign the medical form, after a while I used to sign them myself with made up name. I think the only time the cert would ever get checked is by an insurance company in the event of a claim being made involving you and the event organiser.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Pirahna wrote:I think the only time the cert would ever get checked is by an insurance company in the event of a claim being made involving you and the event organiser.

Negating any claim and landing the 'fraudster' in trouble in a foreign country.
Potentially risky behaviour imo.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve heard it’s possible to download blank versions of these from the interweb and complete then yourself.

I’m sure this isn’t a good idea though and obviously wouldn’t recommend it :ugeek:
Javi

Post by Javi »

https://doctap.co.uk
Did it for an event in France. Done in minutes
golfcurry

Post by golfcurry »

i copied a medical certificate from a web search, changed the details to my doctor, then asked him to sign it, i was charged £20.
i can email you the pdf certficate i produced if you want.

i m in the Italy ride but have dislocated my thumb and had to have it wired, so very doubtful now. fingers crossed it repairs in time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If the notion of ever making a claim exists, then I'm not really sure you should be entering?
May the bridges you burn light your way
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Due to an amateur cyclist having a heart attack in a gran fondo many years ago, amateur cyclists in Italy are required to present a "certificato di idonieta'", basically a certficate obtained from a doctor who has watched you pedal slowly on his indoor exercise cycle for a couple of minutes. Yes, it does sound more formal than it actually is.
Nevertheless, all Italian event operators will always require this certificate, even "underground" bike packing events; it's the culture of the country.
However, they will generally accept proof from home nation relevant body i.e. if you have a BC racing license they are likely to accept this.
They will accept a letter (in English) from your doctor.
It is up to the individual UK doctor if they will give you this letter. Some may charge you.
A similar letter was required by the Belgian organiser of Across the 5.
I was lucky enough to have a friend who was a doctor and she provided the letter for me.
Another cycling doctor friend said he would have done the same.
One thing is for sure: you need to either get the letter or the BC licence to do an event in Italy - wasting your time going there without.
For further international reciprocal rights with BC license, contact BC directly.
Hope this helps
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

PS E111 not the same thing and unlikely to be accepted.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
If the notion of ever making a claim exists, then I'm not really sure you should be entering?

It doesn't have to be the entrant making the claim.
Random member of the public who you ride into during the event for example.
Or the event organisers if you crash or any number of reasons.
My comment was simple to add a little bit of alternative thinking to those who are glibly suggesting forging documents to enter an event in a foreign country.
It most likely would be fine to knock off the certificate but it is certainly not without risk.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
robbie

Post by robbie »

I faked one for the tt 2 years ago after my doctor refused to give me one for insurance purposes. They never asked to see mine so i wouldnt stresd about it. Im doing the divide and need one for that so will see if i can find the same form online.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Didn't realise it was a requirement. Nobody asked me to show them mine last year. :(

I understand there are some doctors in chambers off South King St in central Manchester who will basically sign any piece of paper for a small fee. They do the reports for whiplash claims etc. Might be able to get you some contact details if you're genuinely stuck.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Try this guy?
Attachments
Nick_Riviera.png
(11.67 KiB) Downloaded 2189 times
FLV

Post by FLV »

an update to this,

In the end I got my GP to write in my notes that there is no medical reason why I cant take part in the event, then got the surgery to print and stamp the transcript. Should be ok, if not then I have the GPX so will just ride anyway :-bd
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I haven't bothered with one on the last two occasions nor was I asked for one.
Dont recall putting my E111 number on the applicaion either (I did take it with me though, not for the event but 'just in case').