Tent advice - Lunar Solo

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisF

Tent advice - Lunar Solo

Post by ChrisF »

I’m looking at getting a one man tent - have been using tarp and bivvy up to now and would like a bit more protection for winter camps and somewhere to hide from the midgies in the summer.
I like the look of the SMD Lunar Solo, about £230 but need to get a pole too (from Stuart perhaps).
Does anyone have any experience of the Lunar? Any suggestions for similar, ie similar price, 700g ish shelter?
Don’t really like the look of trekkertent - looks a bit cramped.
Ta in advance.
FLV

Re: Tent advice - Lunar Solo

Post by FLV »

I have one, its really good. Ideal cross between bivi and tent for me. It can be a bit of a black art getting it set up just so, but I can be fussy with that.

Dont know of anything else that competes really (though I am sure there are things), I used to have a bear paw lair, which was good but not as good.

I also have a carbon pole form stu, this is also very good and does exactly what its supposed to
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that the Lunar Solo is probably the ideal and possibly ultimate bikepacking 'tent'. There's very little to beat it when you factor in all considerations such as weight, packsize, room, etc. As Dave says, it can be a little fussy with regard to getting the perfect pitch (although a nearly perfect pitch can be achieved in a few minutes) ... pole length, flat ground and the angle you place the pegs make a big difference.

Not the cheapest of shelters especially once you add the cost of a pole but there's always a good SH market for them should you decide to sell it on.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I have one.
A few points worth mentioning.
The advertising shows it as dark forest green.
Mine arrived as bright light green. Which stands out in most areas I have used it. Not happy with that as I do a lot of wild camping.
The zip is fragile and am I not sure it will last long.
The bathtub floor is non-existent in mine. Doesn't matter how I set it up. But I will keep trying. Maybe one day I will work it out.

I used an old pole from an old tent. Cut in 3 then elastic threaded through.
I am very tall and it fits. Better with the sides strung out.
My first nights I didn't have a pole and just hung the apex loop to a branch. Works nicely.
Sleeps 2 friends or loads of gear.
It flaps in the wind but is much quieter than my Akto and Unna.
Comes with reflective tabs on it. Annoying.

Recommend.

Based on 25 nights in it.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I have a Luna solo tent, love it.

But just to let you know, consider getting from backpackinglight.se it’s an online cottage store in Sweden.

I’ve bought a few items from them and had good reliable service. Bought a cumulus quilt from him.

The site is in euros but it work out the Luna solo is around £206

He also has a you tube channel at

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNAo_j ... N1C4S87yxQ
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks for all the tips - Lunar Solo is still looking like the favourite.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another LS owner here.

Pretty much ideal. I had an idea for my perfect tent, thinking I might get some one to make it. Then someone told me it already existed!

I have the version with the lightweight groundsheet. I noticed it has several pinholes in it recently.

Never had any problems pitching it or getting the floor to form correctly. I think this is all to do with the angle of the pole.

Colour is green. Certainly not a dark green but very subdued and stealthy.

I have the Easton carbon pole. It's thinner but more flexible than Stu's version. It'll bend if you try to tighten the guys too much.

My concerns about condensation have proven to be mostly unfounded. It's only been an issue once and that was on a coastal pitch in thick haar.

Would most definitely recommend (and have, resulting in two more purchasers)
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I’ve got the LE model which has been great - a bit heavier but more space and maybe a bit more resilient.

Looks that’s now been discontinued and SMD are revamping the Lunar Solo so it may be worth waiting for the new ones (or a good deal on the old ones!)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Stevemorg wrote:I’ve got the LE model which has been great - a bit heavier but more space and maybe a bit more resilient.

Looks that’s now been discontinued and SMD are revamping the Lunar Solo so it may be worth waiting for the new ones (or a good deal on the old ones!)
The new ones are what they are selling now.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Have never heard of that floor issue before. I love mine.

Literally my only complaints are FLAPPYFLAPPYFLAPPY in the wind, and when it's warm, the walls get soaking.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Can't say I've noticed any undue flapping.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Counter view. I used mine about 6 times and never really gelled with it.

I'm 6'2" and slowly working my way back to 95kg, so not the biggest bear in the woods. But even with the ends tied out I could only just stretch out and found the fabric either brushing my face or my feet. Which would not be an issue if it wasn't always so wet in there.

That for me was the killer issue. Perhaps because I camp mostly in forests on inevitably damp ground and very little wind, it was always dripping inside. I remember once, a gust of wind got through the trees and it was suddenly raining inside the tent as all the condensation fell onto my quilt. Only once did this not happen, and that was the first time I used it.

I would hate to have to use it on a wet long weekend. You'd never dry it, and unlike with a double walled tent, where you can separate the inner and outer and not worry too much, the whole thing would be soaking. I've no doubt people cope, but not my idea of fun at all.

Pluses? Very light, very easy to pitch once you get the hang of it, really compact and a great awning.
I'm just going outside ...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That's what puts me of them. I'm 6'3 with a long quilt and a long mat. I've been out with a few people with them and always thought they looked good
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Metalheart has one. He's not short.
Tying out the two mid-panel lifters makes quite a differenceto usable length.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sleeping with one half of the door open (or at least not fully shut) should pretty much combat any condensation issues. Anyone finding them overly flappy - trying pitching with a rear corner facing into the wind.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Sleeping with one half of the door open (or at least not fully shut) should pretty much combat any condensation issues. Anyone finding them overly flappy - trying pitching with a rear corner facing into the wind.
This is what I do in mine - only in really wet conditions do I close the door completely. It survived a pretty well in the Cairngorms on very wet afternoon and it dried the following night in no time for a comfy night. I also like the netting as I hate getting midged…. like a tarp but with more bug protection.
For the record - 6'3" here and about 100kg. Have used it with a winter bag and thick mat... I make sure I sit up in the middle :grin: :-bd
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

From reading the above posts, it looks like there may be a lot of variation in sizes between them.
6'2" is too small. But mine would easily fit someone 6'6" in a thick bag.
Flappy v not flappy.
Bath tub floor v not.

Maybe the final 'cuts' of material is not very accurate.
Or again, maybe just the setup or pole length/angle.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Rasta wrote:From reading the above posts, it looks like there may be a lot of variation in sizes between them.
6'2" is too small. But mine would easily fit someone 6'6" in a thick bag.
Flappy v not flappy.
Bath tub floor v not.

Maybe the final 'cuts' of material is not very accurate.
Or again, maybe just the setup or pole length/angle.

I think it's all to do with pitching.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Maybe we should have a Lunar Solo owners map where people can come and try one before they buy? :smile:

I'm about 5 miles east of Bishop's Stortford in Herts if anybody wants to see one.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thats a good point,

ChrisF - I'm in glossop, yours says peak district so shout up if you want to come have a look
Mart

Post by Mart »

I just got one from Ebay - Managed to haggle the cost down to £175.

There's one left if anyones interested : item number 183682523985
2924 miles per Gallon
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Interesting

I'd avoided them in the past on the basis that they're too small for tall people. But there is indeed conflicting information here

For those above 6'2, do you find the side walls to be sloping down in your face? Particularly when raining or windy. And if it's not 100% flat do you find yourself sliding down to the edge without any effort (as you're pretty much nearly there already)
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Just pressed the button on ordering a Lunar Solo (before I saw that EBay offer :sad: ). Thanks again for all the advice and opinions.

FLV - I’m just over the hill from you in New Mills.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

benp1 wrote:Interesting

I'd avoided them in the past on the basis that they're too small for tall people. But there is indeed conflicting information here

For those above 6'2, do you find the side walls to be sloping down in your face? Particularly when raining or windy. And if it's not 100% flat do you find yourself sliding down to the edge without any effort (as you're pretty much nearly there already)

There is a U tube vid of a guy who I think is 6'6". Easy to find.

Mattress thicknesses plays a part. If you are 6'3" then I say - no problem.

Plan on using it with the side guy outs. A bit of 2mm string and x2 2ft sticks from the bushes. Or use your bike.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thinking I should perhaps erect a range of shelters at the WRT so people can take a closer look and try them for size?