The colour of luggage?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

The colour of luggage?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Morning, while most luggage available is black, I'm wondering whether you would consider buying luggage of another colour if it were available. Alpkit luggage is available in other colours than black and Apidura don't make black luggage and both seem popular?

So, black only or something else?
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Re: The colour of luggage?

Post by whitestone »

I've a variety of colours. The Wildcat harnesses and frame bags are black. The Apidura feed bags are some sort of grey. The Alpkit bags are a mixture of red, yellow and blue. The Revelate feed bags are black and orange.

I suppose black "goes" with any frame colour whereas the others need to match or complement the frame.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Green... everything should be bought in green by Acepac Stu... Its an eco friendly bag and green is more green (right)... Surely I thought you knew that. Plus the green would sell much faster (then blue abd after that the ugly black)... :geek:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Black and silver/grey are universal I guess, hence popular. A range of colours means more material to buy, more stock options to hold. That can increase prices and then there's the chance of being left with an unpopular colour.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

I got a Tweety yellow one for my wildcat saddlebag harness as I thought it'd be more visible for cars.

Used to have a red alpkit one in the front for similar reasons but went to a Lomo one which was only available in black.

So generally if try to get something hi-viz if available, as long as it doesn't look rubbish.
Last edited by u02sgb on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Any colour ,not fussed about it matching a frame colour but do like to have it any matching colour otherwise it looks like one of those old vw harlequin cars :lol: ( I mainly have black as I have no flare whatsoever)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A range of colours means more material to buy, more stock options to hold. That can increase prices and then there's the chance of being left with an unpopular colour.
That's why I'm asking Colin.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

If it's for the acepac stuff your getting stu ,the blue dosent look bad in the images aprt from the frame bag and then it just looks too much blue , don't think you'd go wrong with the black/grey they have or even the camo they have as their colours are quite bright ( only seen on tinternet so may be toned down in reality)
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

All of my stuff is black, then it works on any bike and it all matches itself. I'm a little ocd. Also I tend to only buy stuff with sewn on logos so I can take them off.

Oh apart from the red tangle bag I just bought, red FFS!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Red, black and blue. I mix and match on size required rather than any aesthetic considerations.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They are quite bright Stu but not vomit inducing. There's no way I'd be able to stock all the colours - my initial thought was simply stock black but I'm now thinking that it might be better to stock something other than black ... or possibly two colours other than black. Apidura luggage stands out in a sea of black because it isn't :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Black. No trim or detail colours. Mix and match from a range of bag brands w/o it all looking that way. Not that visuals really matter, just that 'why not black'. If it was a range planning decision for a brand (rather than what I buy ad why) colour option would be based on how the product is made, cash flow etc.

I haven't bought Apidura kit simply because of the colour/styling. I know they do it for brand ID and perhaps to encourage you to buy matched sets, but for me neither work and you need to be sure your kit functions really well across the whole range to persuade me into a single luggage brand, unique aesthetics approach. There isn't one brand that make a great seat pack, gas tank, bar system and frame bag imo. Wildcat have the best take on most of it, all in black too.

On the other hand, now I know how/what I pack for most trips I'd like to get a set in a colour or fabric that makes the bike look a bit different, more personal etc. You know, like those posh Luis Vuitton matching suitcase sets :wink: I'd expect that to come from a custom manufacturer or option that I'd pay more for though, not from a standard range.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Black. No trim or detail colours. Mix and match from a range of bags w/o it all looking that way. Not that visuals really matter, just that 'why not black'. If it was a range planning decision it'd be based on how the product is made, cash flow etc.

I haven't bought Apidura kit simply because of the colour/styling. I know they do it for brand ID and perhaps to encourage you to buy matched sets, but for me neither work and you need to be sure your kit functions really well across the whole range to persuade me into a single luggage brand, unique aesthetics approach. There isn't one brand that make a great seat pack, gas tank, bar system and frame bag imo. Wildcat have the best take on most of it, all in black too.

On the other hand, now I know how/what I pack for most trips I'd like to get a set in a colour or fabric that makes the bike look a bit different, more personal etc. You know, like those posh Luis Vuitton matching suitcase sets :wink: I'd expect that to come from a custom manufacturer or option that I'd pay more for though, not from a standard range.
This is my quandary James. 'Tis very much a double edged sword with pros and cons either way.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd go for a green/brown camo as it wouldn't look so grubby but there are too many folk choosing "tactical" colour schemes - especially with fat bikes and that puts me off.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Just took a look at their range. Quite nice colour selection but would probably buy black. Maybe grey if I was feeling adventurous.
redefined_cycles

Stu... do you have prices yet please?? If so what sort of prices for example on the framebags (roll top or standard zipper) in large flavour. 48cm long I believe and with the zipper on the one side?? Thanks
redefined_cycles

Oh... I forgot to ask.. do you kniw if these framebags (5L capacity is the one I speak of) have webbing straps so one can upgrade the velcro stuff. If not I might still consider as the strap upgrades can just be sown onthe standard one by oneaelf I suppose...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I suppose black "goes" with any frame colour whereas the others need to match or complement the frame.
I am amazed to see anyone picks their kit to match their bike - then again I have multiple bikes so nothing is going to match them all- actually no two items are the same colour [ and i have three frame bags and two front harnesses/bags and two seat packs

Stu it seems that
1) those that care would accept black[ remember to make the logos easy to remove]
2) those that dont will also accept black

Black for ease is what i am taking from this[ and charge a massive premium for other colours to exploit their OCD 'ness :wink: ]
redefined_cycles

Dont think yhe bikepqcking people loy are too OCD bout colours to be fair I suppose... hence if you git the 3 main... black and blu3 and green. Hopefully they wont be sat about for too long. Reason why I going for one is cos of the good prices they seem to have and appear more durable (and gree with the eco material off course) than other bags (which are strong enough anyeay)...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I like the way the camo stuff looks, I doubt I'd move to a bright colour. All my bags are black, in fact they're all revelate too. I even went from a yellow alpkit tapered bag to a black revelate one recently
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu... do you have prices yet please?? If so what sort of prices for example on the framebags (roll top or standard zipper) in large flavour. 48cm long I believe and with the zipper on the one side??
As an example, a roll-top frame bike like the one below would be £49.99. It's completely waterproof as it has a removeable waterproof liner bag. The large version of the same would be £57.99. I think prices are good given the materials used and little touches like the inner bag.

Scud

Post by Scud »

To be honest i went with Apidura purely because it had more reflective details than others that i could find at the time and i often used half -frame bag and / or a feed bag for commuting or audax type events.

But it hasn't worn very well, frame bag has been back once for repair, but they sent me a new one in it's place, so i can't really complain.
redefined_cycles

I will be tak8ng one in green please Stu.. Still not sure which I needs though... the rolltop or the standard. I think standard would make more sense to me as its on the road bike and needs things accesible easily and quickly.shame it doesnt have the pocket on opposite side aswell but beggara cant be choosers right...
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Brighter the better. Be visible - stay alive.
redefined_cycles

Glad to report that it also seems to be playing (played happily with Revelate Tangle before this) happily with my shiny new (well not shiny but muddy and used but lovely) WC Leaopard... Thanks to the webbing strap and have manged to get on the top tube...