Head torch recommendations?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Head torch recommendations?

Post by ootini »

Hi all. I've decided my cheapo head torch ain't up to the job anymore.
What would the BB massive recommend for a lightweight head torch for camp duties (not riding)? Nothing too spendy please.
middleagedmadness

Re: Head torch recommendations?

Post by middleagedmadness »

Petzl tikka or e-lite ,or cheaper there's the alpkit ones
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've got two Petzl head torches, one I bought at Black in 2002 for about £20 that is still working today despite years of use. It's not supposed to be waterproof, but I always wrap a bit of lekky tape around the seal after changing the batteries, and it has survived several dunkings and countless rain storms.
I'm just going outside ...
gairym

Post by gairym »

Depends how 'good' you want it to be.

For general bimbling around the camp then it's hard to beat the Petzl offerings for value/performance.

But.....if you want to potentially use it for more (and possibly even riding as a backup light) then take a look at LED Lenser.

I bought Mrs Gairy an H8R headtorch for Christmas and at 60€ it's not crazy spendy and at 600 lumens it's perfectly capable as both a camp light and as a backup light.

Usb chargeable and plenty of energy saving options too.

I think they're great!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Petzl Zipka for me. I like that it's not TOO bright as it's less likely to draw attention when I'm pitched up.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I use this. You can turn it on from off straight to red and goes all the way up to really bright.

Black Diamond Uomo Cosmo Headlamp https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W54SB8D/ ... ACb3VM0VFT
Al

Post by Al »

I use this tiny petzl one for camp duties when bikepacking and a very bright dimable led lenzer one for hiking stuff. Got an alpkit one I won at the wrt which also gets used most days for dog walking - they’re pretty good value.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/activities/111 ... lsrc=aw.ds
psling

Post by psling »

For camp duties I like one that also has a red light to preserve my night sight and, like Scotroutes says, be less obvious when bivvying. A green light is also useful if you're looking at OS maps at night, it preserves your night vision and lets you see contour lines on the map! (learnt that on here :-bd ).
I have a Black Diamond one which is small, light and reliable.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

+1 for different coloured lights. My Alpkit Gamma does red (and I think possibly green, though I never seem to get that option to work; maybe I'll read the instructions some time...).
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

We use Peztl e-lite too. They are great for setting up camp, eating etc and not calling too much attention to yourself. Very lightweight and compact - weighs only 26g (with batts). Downside is that it's not rechargable so you have to put in a couple of CR32 batts. Definitely no good for riding with but invaluable for pottering about in the dark.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/e-Lite-2-50L ... ctupt=true

ETA - That one ^ has a strap, we have one like that and one that just has a string on it, which is lighter and more compact but needs worn with a hat or it is a bit sore after a while.
Last edited by Borderer on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have a black diamond torch storm, had to swap the headband for something more stable, rendered useless with the original headband!

Have two alpkit ones, one for the wifey and one for me. Both torches are similar but the wife’s torch is definitely brighter. Most peculiar!

I’ll be sticking with Petzl in the future
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Borderer wrote:We use Peztl e-lite too. They are great for setting up camp, eating etc and not calling too much attention to yourself. Very lightweight and compact - weighs only 26g (with batts). Downside is that it's not rechargable so you have to put in a couple of CR32 batts.
One of the reasons I prefer the Zikpa. I can use rechargeable AAAs.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Not wishing to hijack the thread, I'm looking for a lightweight head torch with a rear red led.
I know Vango do one but it’s front lumens are a bit low. I use a Petzl TIKKA plus and clip on a cheap flashing led on the rear but would be interested in an integrated unit if one is out there?
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Petzl have a new model the bindi, rechargable so lighter than the 3 x AAA classic types
The Black diamond iota is similar and has the useful feature of a lock to prevent accidental switching on
Last edited by mtbmarkymark on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Best one I've found is the Alpkit Qark
It's amazingly bright, focusable and can use small batteries if the included battery runs flat between charges

https://www.alpkit.com/products/qark
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Not wishing to hijack the thread, I'm looking for a lightweight head torch with a rear red led.
I've got an older Qark from Alpkit, which has a rear red light - steady and flashing. Doesn't take AAA batteries as a back up, but does last a long time on low beam, has a reactive mode (good for map reading at night) and is bright for an hour on full.

No use if no longer available though.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Petzl Bindi

Amazing little thing :-bd
Andy Peers

Post by Andy Peers »

Petzl Zipka
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Sort of depends on what it's for. small and light, Petzl E+lite - i actually have 4, one of each of the versions and a spare of the zip one. Massively useful little things

My main headtorch is a Black Diamond ReVolt. Usually take the E+lite but the ReVolt is enough to do night walking etc. I used for a pre-dawn start in the Alps last year, navigating on rocks and glacier - it's 130 lumens on max so I reckon I had it on around 80. It's amazing how little light you need, you do need everything else not to have a night sun though
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

E lite is a great stashaway torch, always find those little disc batteries have a surprisingly long life
Use an Alpkit 3as number for around the farm, the red light mode seems ideal for sneaking up on ewes lambing

My fave for longer trips is the Black rock Revolt (bright enough to use while riding). Like the fact it takes 3as, but has a usb port so can recharge if used with rechargeable 3as.

Really can't knock the Alpkit one overall
Javi

Post by Javi »

Hi,

I use a Petzl Actik core. Light weight and still 350 lumens for an emergency. I bought this one because I can recharge the removable battery via standard USB cable or use AAA batteries instead
Blag

Post by Blag »

Petzl bindi. Best ever imho
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Moved from a Petzl Tikkina last year into their e-lite model. The red light is really good for in the pit in the evenings and the space saving is substantial in my gas tank.

Greetz

S.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Not really a headtorch as such, but what i like about my Exposure Joystick is that it is a long-lasting powerful bike light, but you can then take it off bike and use the seperate headband to turn it into a head torch, saves weight of carrying both, and there aftermarket colour filters that work with it
Mike

Post by Mike »

Id second John climbers offering! Ive seen one these in action and for the money they are great!! They last ages and the beam can be changed, it gives off so much light and the battery can be charged from a dynamo setup. It also has a very good red light more than enough for stealth pitching at night if required