Route planning assistance; Southport to Whitehaven

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Route planning assistance; Southport to Whitehaven

Post by Asposium »

All,

Planning a ride for a weeks’ left over annual leave; likely last week in March.

Need a route from Southport (end of trans pennine trail) to Whitehaven (start of Rat Race: The Crossing).

Any suggestions for sections to include or avoid?
On a gravel bike, so nothing too gnarly.

Ta
Lazarus

Re: Route planning assistance; Southport to Whitehaven

Post by Lazarus »

i can get you from Southport to Cumbria

TBH it depends what you want - straightish route or interesting- basically though you are either going to have to do one of the following

1) quiet roads,canals, strange route to get round Preston then off road to Lancaster via salter fell and then route around the bay to Grange over sands - not sure of that bit as never done it and something across cumbria/lakes - i could map that as well if you really wanted,
2) Quiet roads and some sustrans to Cumbria
3) start from somewhere else :wink:

No obvious way I am afraid and not really possible to do it all off road [ not even theoretically with massive detours. ] as you cannot easily get across the Ribble [ preston has 3 bridges and next one is Ribchester] and you cannot really get to either off road]

PM me though its probably easier to talk you through it whilst you look at a map /discuss options.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Many thanks

Packing for Feb bivi-a-month.
Have a route idea that plotted on ViewRanger; will make public and PM you the link.

Ta
Much appreciated
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

ok and obvs I am local to that area so will know most of it
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I can send a GPX from Lancaster to W'haven - mostly sustrans with some off road highlights, 88miles.
Can't attach files here, so you'd have to send an email address.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Some more suggestions.

Take the quiet roads of NCN 62 from Southport to Preston, then either NCN 6 or the canal to Carnforth (the former is straightforward with some gentle rollings hills on quiet roads, the latter will be alive in spring - swans, geese, ducks, herons - but it's not a fast route), NCN 6 or 700 to Milnthorpe then cross-country to Levens, Underbarrow, Windermere, Ambleside before heading west over Wrynose and Hardknott passes, then Gosforth, Egremont and Whitehaven. No shortage of shops, pubs, cafes and only the mountain road over the passes will present any real challenge.

Alternatives might include NCN 700, NCN 70 and Lakes & Dales Loop via Grange-over-Sands, or heading north from Ambleside to Keswick then west on NCN 71.