Gravel bike with MTB clearance

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Gravel bike with MTB clearance

Post by ootini »

Might have a opening for a new bike. I'd like something drop bar/gravelly but I'd like the option of swapping to my current mtb wheelset on occasion. So, is there a gravel bike, £1,200 ish limit, that can accept tyres up to 650b x 2.4"?
ootini

Re: Gravel bike with MTB clearance

Post by ootini »

voodoo_simon wrote:Here's a starting point
http://www.bikepacking.com/index/650b-gravel-bikes/
Brill. Thank You
ootini

Post by ootini »

Looks like that Salsa Journeyman is ticking the most boxes so far. Anyone have experience of one ?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I was gonna say the fatChance as my IndyFab Steel deluxe in Reynolds 853 was just an amazong ride both on slicks aswell as mtb tires with rigid (Surly 1x I think aswell as a Fox)... Who wouldn't want a bike built by Chris Chance (I assume the frame is!) but that price is a bit steep...

Hence if it was me (and you can make sense of the (apparently) low bottom bracket, then I would choose the Fairlight... Same/similar lovely tubing in being the Reynolds 853 and coming in at circa 1k for frame and fork is a steal (in my opinion) as these frames are well engineered and thought through by some pretty (not sure if they are pretty) smart chaps and possibly chapesses...

See what Stu says/suggests.. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

See what Stu says/suggests..
I suppose what I'm wondering is why the desire for drops? It appears that most of the bikes on that list are mountain bikes with drops. A mountain bike without drops would be a much cheaper option?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Or just add drops to the mtb. Easily done and now that we have disc levers for drops its even easier
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: It appears that most of the bikes on that list are mountain bikes with drops.
Karate Monkey secondhand frameset with drops, 1x10 and 2.2 ikons, coming up to 4k miles in two years, built for a lot less than a Fairlight Secan.

faustus

Post by faustus »

Really like the look of that KM Dyffers. Think it looks better with normal drops rather than really flared ones.

That the fleet in the background btw? Dorset native exiled to Berks you see...
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Yup, was working on Portland for a few days the other week so rode from home with my civvies in the bags on the bike. The other pic is the Roman Road from Eggardon to Dorchester a couple of days later, the only bit of snow left in Dorset. :-bd
faustus

Post by faustus »

Nice :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

voodoo_simon wrote:Here's a starting point
http://www.bikepacking.com/index/650b-gravel-bikes/
Some bikes in that list with optimistic max tyre sizes quoted.

I've seen an Open UP with XC 2.25s on, wouldn't get far with those clearances. Surely there's some way to say what's a jam-in and what's a fit, the 6mm tyre to frame clearance in ISO is good enough for me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very true James.

Just to follow on from my comment earlier, it's probably worth remembering that some bikes are designed for drops and some aren't. If you're of normal build, you might find that a later model mountainbike won't take kindly to drops without looking like it's fallen from the ugly tree. However, I have found that older mountainbikes tend to fair much better with their shorter TT.

I'm also thinking that a Vagabond fits your criteria very well and complete, would cost less than many of the frames in that list. I'm also wondering why I like this so much.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Vagabond is 29er, whilst the op is asking for 650. Would changing the wheels alter the bike much?
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Yeah after a year I finally decided that my Inbred wasn't quite right with drops. Frames designed for drops tend to have a longer head tube too so it can be hard to get drops high enough on an MTB.

Whatever that is Stu I like it!

From that list the Gorilla Monsoon looks ace but frame only is almost the price of a Vagabond complete...still trying not to buy another bike :cry:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Vagabond is 29er, whilst the op is asking for 650. Would changing the wheels alter the bike much?
Ah, very true Simon. Although, I notice that quite a number of the bikes on the 650b list also feature on the 29er list too.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Ah, very true Simon. Although, I notice that quite a number of the bikes on the 650b list also feature on the 29er list too.
What’s an inch or so between friends :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

ootini wrote:Looks like that Salsa Journeyman is ticking the most boxes so far. Anyone have experience of one ?
Only in that I've drooled over the ones that Keep Pedalling have in stock, iirc they have a couple in their sale section. The pink Apex 1 version look brilliant.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Doesnt quite fit your requirements as its 650b x 2.2 and its a grand for frame and fork... but the fairlight Secan looks lovely.

I have long been a nay sayer with regard drop bars off road, but... I do enjoy riding my warbird mostly on the road with 38's on it and occasionally crossing gravel roads, old railway tracks etc etc. I dont like it fully off road but then I like it better than a full road bike on the road as that just beats me up.

Anyway, Secan. I like it,

https://fairlightcycles.com/wp-content/ ... cba1185463