Potential April GPS issues for older units

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

u02sgb

Potential April GPS issues for older units

Post by u02sgb »

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2019/ ... poch_ends/

Like the Y2k issue but for GPS. Might be worth contacting your manufacturer to see if yours is affected. My Garmin watch got an update yesterday which says it was for GPS wonder of it's related.

Hope Mountain Rescue aren't busy in April!
ianfitz

Re: Potential April GPS issues for older units

Post by ianfitz »

I thought this was going to be another brexit-shambles based problem!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good spot that thanks, I'll have to check if my eTrex or SPOT will be affected as April is when I will need them for the first of this years events. This line from the article caught my eye,

GPS.gov also notes that the new CNAV and MNAV message formats will use a 13-bit week number to solve the epoch migraine right up until the planet becomes uninhabitable via climate change or we all blow ourselves up.

I would have thought that the way things seem to be going lately that there is no need to change the system to avid the issue, just rolling over the old system would give us another 20 years which seems more than long enough for one of the above to have occurred :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ianfitz wrote:I thought this was going to be another brexit-shambles based problem!
We'd really have to be going some to get ourselves excluded from GPS! :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Like the Y2k issue but for GPS.
I was drag racing over in the states Nov 1999 ... never seen so much panic over nowt. Strangely, no one seemed to be stocking up on food, candles or useful items for the impending doom but guns, ammunition and such. Very odd it was.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Like the Y2k issue but for GPS.
I was drag racing over in the states Nov 1999 ... never seen so much panic over nowt.
It was only "nowt" because the problem was identified and resolved satisfactorily.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Around 5 years of identifying potential issues and software development made it 'nowt' but the media did get quite hysterical.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It was only "nowt" because the problem was identified and resolved satisfactorily.
*Genuinely asking* But were those problems real or were they problems that wouldn't have amounted to anything at one minute past midnight regardless. Is it not possible that nothing would have happened anyway? I recall some companies spending thousands in preperation and others doing nothing ... outcome for both seemed the same?
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ok - this is potentially very crap as I will be in the middle of nowhere in April, reliant on GPS. How can I tell if my device will conk out or not?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I was drag racing over in the states Nov 1999 ... never seen so much panic over nowt.
Which one was you , Stu? :o
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The pretty one.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
*Genuinely asking* But were those problems real
The collapse of the UK banking system real enough? It was a genuine problem.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yeah, was the same in grocery retail. Everyone from Spar to Tesco used a derivative of the same supply chain software and if it wasnt fixed no orders = no food on shelves. Of course because it was fixed before hand everyone asked what the fuss was about. But where is the fun in preparing properly for a major event that could affect everyone, and not "leaving" everything until the last minute :roll: Good to see we learn from history :sad:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
*Genuinely asking* But were those problems real or were they problems that wouldn't have amounted to anything at one minute past midnight regardless. Is it not possible that nothing would have happened anyway? I recall some companies spending thousands in preperation and others doing nothing ... outcome for both seemed the same?
I was working for a pharma company at the time and when we tested our production lines we realised they'd have failed catastrophically come the end of the year.

So in that particular case, with certain drugs at least, people could very well have died.

It does amuse me to see Y2K brought up a lot regarding Brexit. Because the reason everyone says Y2K was a non issue was BECAUSE WE HAD COMPETENT PEOPLE IMPLEMENTING PROPER PLANNING TO AVOID A POTENTIAL CATASTROPHE.

Ahem... please go about your day. :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm just trying to get my head round this please humour me ... so, what everyone's saying is that Y2K was a problem for some companies relating to their software / hardware and not a complete meltdown of the internet and electronic world as was touted about at the time?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Possibly Stu, but from my direct knowledge many individual companies WOULD have had localised problems if they hadn't been checked for and fixed; but of course also nobody really knew whether a problem supposedly local to one company might not have affected the whole planet as well :wink:. Would you have wanted to be the company that took the whole planet down? Bit embarrassing. Rich is quite right.

You've given me a flashback now. I also worked on several of those projects at the time. Amusingly, a few weeks before The Big Day, the rather large institution that I was working for in the final few months asked for a "volunteer" from my group to sit at a desk with a terminal and a big red telephone and a mug of tea as the clock ticked past midnight, to field any IT problems. Everybody else ran rapidly in the general direction of "away", but I thought about it and then volunteered (well, offered to get paid :wink:). My view was that if nothing happened then I would have just had a quiet evening with a big red telephone for company. If something HAD happened, what, seriously, would I or anyone else have been able to do on the spot that we hadn't already spent four years or so trying to sort out? :wink:. I might have been able to squirt a fire extinguisher at something but certainly not much else. Luckily we all did a quite superb job beforehand so nothing (noticeable) happened :-bd .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Me, I just reset the clock on my computer to 12.01, Jan 1st, 2000 a week or so before ... nowt happened, quite disappointing really.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"I just reset the clock on my computer to 12.01, Jan 1st, 2000 a week or so before ... nowt happened" - WADR, that's probably because us lot had tested exactly the same scenario considerably earlier than that in a controlled situation, then put the fix in with plenty of time before you were naughty and tried to break things :wink:.

And as Rich says, don't worry because we'll all have a lovely opportunity, in about six weeks time, to see what happens when we've taken the opposite approach to a potential/real problem :smile:.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richard G wrote:
ianfitz wrote:I thought this was going to be another brexit-shambles based problem!
We'd really have to be going some to get ourselves excluded from GPS! :shock:
Given the staggering levels of incompetence in the current government I would not put this past them!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Ok - this is potentially very crap as I will be in the middle of nowhere in April, reliant on GPS. How can I tell if my device will conk out or not?
the link said that any device after 2010 was likely to be ok

I would contact the manufacturer/ make sure it was updated
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

u02sgb wrote:https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2019/ ... poch_ends/

Hope Mountain Rescue aren't busy in April!
We're pretty much always busy. Shouldn't affect our mapping capabilities though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Still we've got just short of nineteen years to deal with the end of 32 bit time :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Sorry Greg, was more meaning for the extra work! Don't think you'd have got into basic training relying purely on a GPS.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm just trying to get my head round this please humour me ... so, what everyone's saying is that Y2K was a problem for some companies relating to their software / hardware and not a complete meltdown of the internet and electronic world as was touted about at the time?
Well, the internet would have melted down for sure had the infrastructure guys not patched the hardware. But obviously you don't hear about it... because they did!

I can't speak for planes falling out of the sky etc. My assumption would be that aeronautical systems would have probably needed patching the same as most other systems, but I haven't read what catastrophic effects if any would have occurred (not my industry).
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

So basically, we didn't all get lost and stranded in the snowy mountains because we realised that it would be better to have a look at the map before we set off. I think.