Carbon seatpost, Carbon frame

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Carbon seatpost, Carbon frame

Post by Jurassic pusher »

To stop the seat post seizing in the frame, I would use normal grease or copperslip on a alloy post in a steel frame but with a Carbon post in a carbon frame do I have to use special carbon grease or would copperslip be ok?
Thanks
johnnystorm

Re: Carbon seatpost, Carbon frame

Post by johnnystorm »

I'd use proper carbon paste. It's also grippy so you don't have to overtighten the clamp to stop the post slipping. I'm also sure I read that normal grease can be absorbed by the carbon so it swells up and then gets stuck.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

johnnystorm wrote:I'd use proper carbon paste. It's also grippy so you don't have to overtighten the clamp to stop the post slipping. I'm also sure I read that normal grease can be absorbed by the carbon so it swells up and then gets stuck.
Thats right... copper grease from extrapolating the above would be even worse I imagine as it just stays put (it compresses when tightening bolts around it as opposed to moving out of the way like normal grease...

Another thing I would add is to (if your not confident at mwasuring torque by hand) invest in even a basic torque wrench (canyon do a decent one thats at least 70% accurate) that does low NMs. You dont want to be in a situation where carbon has melded (whatever the appropriate word is) itself to carbon... no heatguns honna sort that out and I'm yet to learn the solution of that
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Thanks, Deffo not copperslip then!!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

This is similar to what I use, but mine is in a little 10ml tube and was a sample I think.

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=360

I also use it where my stem clamps around the carbon steerer on my forks.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I use Tacx Carbon Assembly Compound when grippage is required. And Park Tool High Performance Grease HPG-1 when carbon-friendly grease is required
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

or some pencil lead :wink: