The money no object thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: The money no object thread

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not even curious to try something?
Not really at present Colin, there's nothing tickling my imagination ... although, on my way to the post office, I was thinking that a Crust Scapegoat might be nice but then on my way back, I decided against it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Be nice to have anything you wanted but I'd be constantly worrying about leaving it places no matter how secure.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ray Young wrote:Be nice to have anything you wanted but I'd be constantly worrying about leaving it places no matter how secure.
Doesn't matter if money is no object - unless it's actually irreplaceable/sentimental.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I'd be looking at something like ti Fargo but custom made with Pinion gearing and wheels for every occasion.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Be nice to have anything you wanted
But would it really? Wouldn't it remove some of the pleasure of attaining something?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Pretty content with my content kit array and newly built up Ritchey..
But having endless funds would open up scope for trying new things.
Would like to try out a Cutthroat and have something Ti based (Timberjack or similar offering from Moots)

If I can have a tractor on demo for 4 months (not sure I technically should) surely mere mortals should be able to demo these high end rigs.. (this may already exist)
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Something from 44bikes just because they look nice :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Jamesh wrote: If I can have a tractor on demo for 4 months..
Where do I sign up?
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm going along with the 'time' angle. Really, each new shiny bauble or trinket takes less time to pall than the previous one. I pick up the odd bit now and then but faaaarrrrrrrr and away TIME is the best currency I've ever spent. For example, 11 year old BP machine, does the job, and the pleasure is in the doing not the having... I'd have as much fun BP'ing on an old Raleigh shopper. (Hmm... <thinks> .. I wonder if anyone has a photo of one of those for BP.......)
Last edited by RIP on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

RIP wrote:I'm going along with the 'time' angle. Really, each new shiny bauble takes less time to pall than the previous one. I pick up the odd bit now and then but faaaarrrrrrrr and away TIME is the best currency I've ever spent. For example, 11 year old BP machine, does the job, and the pleasure is in the doing not the having... I'd have as much fun BP'ing on an old Raleigh shopper. (Hmm... <thinks> .. I wonder if anyone has a photo of one of those for BP.......)

I came here to say this really.

Bikes are nice. Nice bikes are nicer, but not by much.

I know I have been afflicted by buying new bits, things and other stuff because I thought/hoped they would bring me happiness. When in fact they are just things; deeds, actions and people are the things that genuinely make me happy.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

And while I'm indulging myself being a slightly miserable old git (actually I'm not, it's the opposite, I'm now revelling in some old BP memories and wacky experiences - and memories and daydreams cost nowt :smile:), so while indulging, does anybody else get that thing where whatever you buy there's always something, however small, despite however long you think you've spent evaluating it before purchasing it, that's ever so slightly wrong or disappointing about it but you only notice afterwards? That almost takes away any pleasure supposedly gained from buying the blasted thing in the first place :wink:.

Ooooh, we're having another little philosophical moment today aren't we :smile:.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think you only really appreciate something when you don't have a lot of it - time, money, etc. a bit like Ben, I don't really need anything and my finances are such that I don't have to worry about minor to medium purchases. However, in the spirit of the game ...

Custom ti fat bike frame, adventure rather than trail geometry, Suitable for 5" tyres, plus detachable rear rack. Onyx rear hub, SON dynamo front hub, 100mm carbon rims, carbon Jones loop bars, SRAM Eagle 1x12 drivetrain, not sure what brakes.

Complete fantasy :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:Custom ti fat bike frame, adventure rather than trail geometry, Suitable for 5" tyres, plus detachable rear rack. Onyx rear hub, SON dynamo front hub, 100mm carbon rims, carbon Jones loop bars, SRAM Eagle 1x12 drivetrain, not sure what brakes.
Ti fat bike frame, adventure geo, takes 4.8", have a rack for it, Hope rear hub, SON front, Supernova light, 80 mm carbon rims, carbon bars but not Jones', SRAM GX drivetrain, Turbine cranks.
Interested? :wink:

Happily to say my dream bikes are those I ride.

Money is volatile, experiences aren't. I want the right tool to perform well when I'm out collecting experiences. I'm not going to save money fulfilling my hobbies anyway, so I don't bother much about it. (Thankfully I don't have to, being in a priviledged situation.)
RIP wrote:does anybody else get that thing where whatever you buy there's always something, however small, despite however long you think you've spent evaluating it before purchasing it, that's ever so slightly wrong or disappointing about it but you only notice afterwards?
Very much so. That's by far the main motivation that gets me behind my sewing machine etc. for self-made bike bags, quilts, shelters, rucksacks and modifying clothing. I don't like sewing at all, but (designing and) using MYOG is fun enough, to justify the effort.
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

How about a bikepacking tandem or rickshaw and a willing front man/ woman!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'd quite like a hot air balloon.

And one of those nice BMC carbon softails with a Lauf fork on it.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

I've spent a lot of time, effort and money getting the bikes I have to a point I'm happy.

That said I am eyeing further changes to the suspension of the Enduro.

Why, because it's an integral part of the appeal, I love trying things, gauging the changes and trying to work out the compromises.

As Reg said, the most valuable thing in the world is time.... and I love spending mine shamelessly.

For the point of the thread.... I'd love a couple of the smaller Ortlieb bags and a Z Packs Plexmid.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

In Reverse wrote:I'd quite like a hot air balloon.

And one of those nice BMC carbon softails with a Lauf fork on it.
If you have a friend who sells them and used to race them himself, you may not be wanting one. The black rubber - for complicated reasons I simply can't call it's name - in the seatstay has a very short lifespan and looses it's inital properties fast, leaving you with a knocking and loose sensation.

Just run a thin seat post :wink: more comfort when riding seated, less faff. Oh... and cheaper.

*internal monologue* No, just because money is no object it doesn't mean we should/could/would get a new bike, just because a little part of it fails. There's also the difference of having a butler cleaning the bike, rather than just buying a new one instead of cleaning it. I should clean my bikes more.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Alpinum wrote:
In Reverse wrote: Just run a thin seat post :wink: more comfort when riding seated, less faff.
I’ve just fitted an EESilk suspension post, only 50g more than a Thompson and very comfy. That and carbon woodchippers and the Fargo is near perfect, perhaps I don’t need that dream bike.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

All you time hippys can get off my capitalist money grabbing thread right now. I’d also like multiple Gore Shakedry jackets so I could ride them near thorns and not care about holes. And maybe a full set of Revelate bags.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Loki

Post by Loki »

Money no object, first off I would love the next two years free from work to go enjoy my riding, bike? I would love a Surly Pugsley and a Fargo Titanium
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I had always planned to splash out on something for my 50th however now it's only a few months away not sure I will bother. Still like my 12 year old Inbred, you'd have to prise my Ritchey Swiss Cross from my dead body and I have a nice old Mercian road bike for a change.

But since we are writing cheques...*

Pretty much a Salsa Cutthroat but custom made in 853 with a nice unicrown straight blade fork (like an old P2), proper 1 1/18 headset, 2x11 xtr with Gevenalle shifters. If Mercian can make it I want it in chocolate brown with red barber's pole paintjob

Lightweight tandem gravel bike, this would be utterly pointless as my wife refuses to try a tandem

And a custom dog trailer built on to a bob yak so I could take my wee dog with me. He's only 8.5kg :ugeek:

And one of them Swift Hinterland saddle bags for my sandwiches

*not literally as I haven't seen my cheque book in years
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Right then, I've woken up this morning and decided I'm having a cabin next to a lake in Alaska and I will become close friends with a bush pilot ... job's a good 'un.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

restlessshawn wrote:Lightweight tandem gravel bike, this would be utterly pointless as my wife refuses to try a tandem
Twenty years ago my ex and I had a Dawes Double Edge fitted with a suspension fork and suspension seatpost on the rear. Best £800 I ever spent for the best off road fun ever. It really balanced out our differences in fitness. It was however unusable offroad until I fitted the sus fork as obviously there is no way you can lift the front end.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

She's having none of it Ray!