Croix De fer

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Croix De fer

Post by middleagedmadness »

Just pulled the trigger on one of these as my commuter and general towpath basher , anybody got any idea if the standard rims will go up tubeless ,I'm presuming so but am a little lacking in experience in these things ( to many thorns on the towpath commute means tubes would be a nightmare)
Cheers
Stuart
ianfitz

Re: Croix De fer

Post by ianfitz »

I don’t know about those rims but land cruiser tyres will go up tubeless and are very tough but still fairly quick rolling.

I used a pair tubeless for the three peak cyclocross, along with a large proportion of the field too(!), and they were spot on.

They will be going on my commuter once I decided what bike it will be
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Quick google says its Jalco rims...

My rule is (on road rims) if they're cheap, they'll probs be heavy which means they should be pretty tough on the side walls (assuming we're talking about alloy)...

so as long as you're not running super high pressures (which I assume on 38c tires you'll probably get away with around 40 to 50 psi if not less) I would put on tubeless and not worry.

Just make sure you have tubeless ready tires though as I found trying to use non tubeless tires on a road bike (like we used to do way back when with mtb) are a no-go due to the higher pressures. Although you might get away with being gravel bike and wider tires, I wouldn't bother risking the hassle of needing to put a tube in midride down the line... or the trail... :-bd

Shafiq
middleagedmadness

Cheers it comes with wtb riddlers tubeless ready so tyres are good
middleagedmadness

Cheers Ian ,once idare say I've ripped the Riddler's I've have a look at the land cruiser
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I setup the jalco rims on my genesis cda no problem. I don't think they're tubeless rims but they've been fine
Nutsnut

Post by Nutsnut »

If they still come with WTB i19 rims they'll go up tubeless no problem
middleagedmadness

Nutsnut wrote:If they still come with WTB i19 rims they'll go up tubeless no problem
No mate they've got jalco on now same as Mike w CDA ,but his went up ok so will give it a try when it arrives
paramart

Post by paramart »

had mine tubeless from day 1 pump them up to 80psi for road work, and what ever feels comfortable off road not had any issues other than trying to get a wire bead to work which was futile it was cheap and worth a try.
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
middleagedmadness

Cheers mart , will give it a try the weekend ,just had the email should be here friday :-bd