Tubeless puncture repair

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Tubeless puncture repair

Post by lune ranger »

Had my first nasty puncture with a tubeless set up today.
May brand new Nobby Nic having traveled about 20km and 1km off road got a nasty gash. 15mm long across the middle of the tread.
Bummer but their you go.
Sealant was spewing forth from the fissure so I reached for my handily prepared tubeless puncture kit.
The anchovy whatnots that I got in September last year were useless. Just a pointless paste in the plastic wrapper.
So to plan B.
I popped open some super glue and squirted some into the void and reached for a suture set with good thick silk and a cutting needle. I they started to close the incision but quickly realised to do this well I'd need to dismount the tyre or go back in time and bring a curved needle.
As it was p1ssing it down I pressed on and ham fistedly sutured away until I got enough material - glue and silk - in place for a clot to form.
It's held pretty well up to now. I'll see for sure when I carry on my ride tomorrow. I do have a tube if needed.
1) Would anybody have done any thing else?
2) Recomend some anchovy things that don't turn to paste.
Thanks
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jam bo

Re: Tubeless puncture repair

Post by jam bo »

The weldite ones I have seem to last ok. 15mm cut might be on the limit of what they would seal though. I’ve jammed three in a hole to hold enough air to get home before.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Buy motorcycle / car tubeless repair strips - much thicker and more resilient
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Not tried the car strips ,but the automotive mushrooms for a permanent repair are brilliant
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've heard that strips of inner tube also work
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

benp1 wrote:I've heard that strips of inner tube also work
Yup free and effective - cut of lots of strips and tie a knot in them.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've got a stupidly expensive Dynoplug kit, I couldn't resist the anodised purple container.

It comes with 2 different sized plugs. The plugs have pointy metal tips, stick the plug into the insertion thingy and pop it into the tyre. Job done. Apparently you can use multiple plugs on a big split but I've never needed to.

I've used it twice. First time on a half worn tyre that lasted the rest of it's life. Second time on wifey's bike last summer, hundreds of miles later it's still fine.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

To be fair 15mm gash :o would scupper even the most hardcore setup. On the winter event I had my first proper puncture in three years. A particularly evil thing went in the bottom and came out the side. Although reg was very excited about the failure of this new fanged technology we made it back to HQ.
When I finally wrestled the tyre off I found another 5 thorns embedded and sealed in the tyre. Before the ‘one’ I must have pulled over 30 thorns etc from this setup , quick spin of the wheel and it’s sorted. :-bd

To be honest if you’re having a backup plan which gets you out of a 15mm cut I reckon you’re better off than most of us.

:-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

To fix a 15mm cut you'd need to get a boot glued to the inside of the tyre with powerflex or similar flexible superglue. A few of stitches first can help it too. I've tried other things but now would go straight to the glued boot fix. Have done it a few times over the years on the flinty trails here. Means you need a tyre-rim combo (and reseating technique) that can be done trailside and that's no bad thing to be confident in.

If it's raining, dark or I'm fecked tired I'd be more likely to put a tube in, but risks of old thorn flats etc make the glued boot fix the way to go. It is a faff though, a 20-30 min job even if it goes to plan, so I tend to avoid thin casing tyres that are more likely to get a larger cut.