Restoring a classic road bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Restoring a classic road bike

Post by Scud »

Someone near me was advertising an old Peugeot 1980 Record du Monde road bike for £20.00 and i bought it on an impulse, everything is original, Simplex derailleurs, Weinmann brakes etc and they all work well, even the tyres and brake blocks seem to be original.

But having been left in the back of a shed for years, it has the usual surface rust both on the frame and the components.

I'm of two minds between trying to restore it properly as a bit of a project, or clean off the wordt of the rust and use it for bimbling about on as a singlespeed..

Any pointers as to best way to remove the surface rust? Had a quick Google and seen everything from rubbing it with foil through to various chemicals?

Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Restoring a classic road bike

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Autosol metal polish will get rid of much rust from chromed parts and the tarnish / corrosion from alloy. On chrome, once rust has properly pitted the surface, then you're really fighting (and losing) a never ending battle.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've got a Columbus SLX framed Daccordi with 7 speed Campag Record in the loft if you want to make an offer. It's missing a front wheel. :smile:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Paul
Have a search for BMX restoration/rust removal. Those guys really know how to do it eg restoring chrome with scrunched tinfoil and coca -cola.

Having seen pictures of the bike, Its very low spec. I would say there are better bikes around if want a restoration project (edit: eg Piranhas and he isnt too far from you). I would do the minimum to make it rideable as a singlespeedand get on and use it. Otherwise you might fall into the trap of buying a Nature Boy Disc when looking for a beater to leave outside the pub :oops: :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

wriggles wrote:Otherwise you might fall into the trap of buying a Nature Boy Disc when looking for a beater to leave outside the pub :oops: :roll:
Bit off topic, but you didn't buy that from eBay over the weekend did you? A friend of mine from Turo was selling one, he messaged me to say he was selling it in case I knew anyone who was interested and by the time I replied it was sold.

Back on topic, definitely fit new tyres and brake blocks. I dug an old mountain bike out to sell a while back, it had the original tryes and brake blocks from the 90's still on it. The rubber goes hard so there was no grip from the tyres and you couldn't stop :lol:

I have good results on paintwork using cutting compound (posh t-cut) to bring paint back up to a shine, but go easy and use plenty of water with it so you don't go right through the paint.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

go on BMX / Raleigh Burner forums. Tin foil dipped in cola. Clean off the general mank with Screwfix degreaser
Scud

Post by Scud »

Thanks will try with Coke and tin foil first (with the way the world is going i may stock up to make myself a hat too), if not then i'll try the Autosol.

Not looking for a pro-finish, just get the worst of it off, new tyres and brake blocks, probably turn it into SS and be happy to be left locked up outside pub
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Bit off topic, but you didn't buy that from eBay over the weekend did you? A friend of mine from Turo was selling one, he messaged me to say he was selling it in case I knew anyone who was interested and by the time I replied it was sold.
I did. One of those silly situations where something pops up for a great price just as you have done a search. Really nice guy selling it as well - knew within 15 seconds of chatting to him that wasn't nicked and everything would be fine.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If it's to leave unlocked then don't bother cleaning it at all?

The mtb I sold to a friend, when I dug it out to show him it was filthy from years of dust/dirt and being sat about. He said it was exactly what he was after.

I washed it, cleaned up the paint and ally bits and it looked like new-ish. When he came to collect it he was mortified. He wanted it to leave in the bike rack at Southampton and when he goes over on the ferry in the morning he could ride it up town to work. He wanted it looking filthy and un-loved as it makes it less desirable for bike thieves.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scud

Post by Scud »

Sean, i have a bit of history here, having a lovely Reilly Gradient gravel bike, Stooge MTB and Beargrease fatty, i bought an old Singular Peregrine SS as a bike i won't be scared to leave outside pub with one lock, it is now the bike i ride 90% of the time and i have spent a fortune on it with lovely Thomson parts and CK hubbed wheels!

So this truly will be just a run-around, but would be nice to give it a bit of a tickle with the polish...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Once you got the worst of the rust off, rub it over with an oily rag and keep doing this after washing - will keep the rust at bay and give it a nice patina. Avoid full paint job type restos as this costs a bomb and the end result can look over restored. If the gears work leave them on and ride it as it should have been.