The price of tools.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

The price of tools.

Post by Ray Young »

I visit bothies quite a bit and it seems that many have saws supplied but not axes which are often more suitable for cutting wood so thought I'd see what hand axes were available and how much they weigh.
I was a bit surprised at the cost of some
https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/ ... sheath.htm

This was more what I had in mind.
https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/ ... re-axe.htm
whitestone

Re: The price of tools.

Post by whitestone »

Ray, just nip down to your local hardware store and see how they handle. The ones you've linked to don't have enough "heft" to split logs - well you can use them but you are using your strength rather than the momentum of the axe to do the work. That size is more for chopping kindling.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Very few seem to be properly sharpened purchase either.

I recently bought an ace this size as a gift. Went for a small silver line from toolstation for a tenner.

A few passes on the bench grinder then whetstone and it’s kitchen knife sharp now!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

they are like bikes in that you can get one for pence or fr thousands.
Main thing is how often will you use. - the greater the use the higher the quality. IME anything basic will chop straight dry wood and i use one form aldi as it is never going to have a hard life - I have a hydraulic log splitter so its main use is kindling.
I would not want to take it on a bike ride with me mind.
What about a wedge and then just bashing the floor/using a rock?
Thinking of wight and TLS there,

https://www.axminster.co.uk/bahco-split ... dge-101036
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

My son has a Gerber version of the bottom axe Ray, it doesn't hold an edge well
But will do 'small ' campsite' duties, I have an ex firemans hand axe and a cheap Stanley
One I don't mind bludgeoning with a rock :grin:, however, for not much more money
Than the Fiskars one have a look at the Hultafors small trekking axe, I have the slightly
Longer version and it's a lovely piece of kit, sharpens well and holds an edge for ages,
They have enough bant to split logs etc....a cracking piece of Swedish steel. I use mine a
Few times a week in conjunction with a Husqvarna chainsaw as I have just put a log burner
In and splitting and making feathers etc is a regular occurrence :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

All good advice, thanks. Wether I'll actually go and purchase one is doubtful due to weight. As mentioned you need something with a bit of heft to split logs. The wedge sounds like a good compromise though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you want a really good axe get a gransfors bruks - they are pricy but they are hand made by a Norwegian dude who signs your axe. They are top quality, can hold a razor sharp edge and will last for ever (with occasional replacement of the head and the haft of course :mrgreen: )

There forest axe will cut through wood up to 8" dia and works as a reasonable splitting axe. The wildlife hatchet is great for kindling and slicing up smaller stuff (as well as slicing all the tendons in your thumb if you aren't careful...)

[url][/https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/produc ... st-axe/url]
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Maybe I shouldn't go playing with axes after all. I've just made a basic rookie mistake with my very sharp penknife. Used it for something I shouldn't be using it for and it folded up on me inflicting a rather nasty cut, doh! :roll: .
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Gransfors are Swedish.
They are also very expensive. They are beautiful handmade items and I have one myself.
I can recommend either Helko Werk (German) or Prandi (Italy) as really good alternatives. Not hand made but hand finished. The edges are hand ground and the overall quality is great.
I'd probably never want to carry an axe bikepacking unless it was fat biking in a winter boreal forest with Lars Falt.
You are looking at a combined head/shaft weight of at least 600g and length of 40cm minimum to start being useful for splitting in a meaningful way.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

lune ranger wrote: You are looking at a combined head/shaft weight of at least 600g and length of 40cm minimum to start being useful for splitting in a meaningful way.
600g I can cope with, :-bd .
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

htrider wrote:If you want a really good axe get a gransfors bruks - they are pricy but they are hand made by a Norwegian dude who signs your axe. They are top quality, can hold a razor sharp edge and will last for ever (with occasional replacement of the head and the haft of course :mrgreen: )

There forest axe will cut through wood up to 8" dia and works as a reasonable splitting axe. The wildlife hatchet is great for kindling and slicing up smaller stuff (as well as slicing all the tendons in your thumb if you aren't careful...)

[url][/https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/produc ... st-axe/url]
I have a gransfors ace too! A 30th birthday present, it’s had 12 years of hard work, been sharpened once in that time and is still spot on.

Not cheap but it’s looking like it will our live me!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A 30th birthday present, it’s had 12 years of hard work, been sharpened once in that time and is still spot on.
Were the other 8 years easy? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
A 30th birthday present, it’s had 12 years of hard work, been sharpened once in that time and is still spot on.
Were the other 8 years easy? :wink:

Ooof! Harsh.

Stuart, I can see some justification in those Clint-sticks now! :YMDEVIL:

:lol: :-bd
ripio

Post by ripio »

Ray Young wrote:I visit bothies quite a bit and it seems that many have saws supplied but not axes which are often more suitable for cutting wood......
A good bow saw is much better than an axe for cutting firewood for use in bothies, and a sawhorse makes it even easier.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ripio wrote:A good bow saw is much better than an axe for cutting firewood for use in bothies, and a sawhorse makes it even easier.
That's going to depend entirely on the diameter of the source wood you have to hand. If it's sticks and branches, then maybe yes.
Realistically to process wood efficiently you need both a saw and an axe - 'salt & pepper'.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Not all bothies have saw horses or good quality bow saws though. Add in wet wood and a saw can be a right pain.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have two gransfors axes, I had a third (the mini one) but sold it on ages ago. One of my previous hobbies, which I suppose is still an interest, was bushcraft. I also have a Gerber back paxe somewhere

Knife collecting was also a hobby and I still have my collection, some of them pretty pricey and/or custom. Rarely use any of them now, mainly just the Swiss Army Knives, which are probably the cheapest and most generic ones I have...
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Another vote for hultafors axe from me. Reasonably priced and come in a variety of sizes. I'm a fan of the Bacho Laplander folding saw even for wet wood Ray.

As an alternative you could Take a froe for splitting instead of an axe. Possibly lighter. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=froe&t=iphone ... 0x1000.jpg
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:... look at the Hultafors small trekking axe, I have the slightly
Longer version and it's a lovely piece of kit, sharpens well and holds an edge for ages,
They have enough bant to split logs etc....a cracking piece of Swedish steel. I use mine a
Few times a week in conjunction with a Husqvarna chainsaw :-bd
Same combination of tools for me. :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

still think a wedge makes more sense for backpacking,

I quite like the grenades for actual logs but cannot see the use of one of those in a bothy
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Lazarus wrote:its not much use to make kindling which is what I assume they want the axe/wedege for
If you mean the froe, it is ideal for making kindling.

http://youtu.be/o5daBhSvqSc

:grin:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you're looking for a saw then the Silky is the best for me, I think my one is the pocket boy. My laplander is relegated to gardening use

If you need to get a fire going then check out the pocket bellows
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Silky Fox saws :-bd