It's open - WRT 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Re: It's open - WRT 2019

Post by Asposium »

For WRT I drive over from Hull on the Saturday morning. Usually arrive around 11am

For BB200 drive over Friday night and camp / have food at the star inn.
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

In like Flint!
See you at Y Star.
psling

Post by psling »

Sorry for a daft question... so whats the default position for most riders the night before and the night at end point... do you guys just sleep in your cars or bivi closeby somewhere... or do you get to lay your bivi/mat/bag down at BBtowers? Same Q for both/all events (ie. bb200 and WRTy
WRT - Personally I drive the approximately 100 miles up on the Saturday morning for the WRT (although I have made a longer weekend of it before now by riding Fri / bivvying Fri night). After all, you plan your own route / ride and you've got all Saturday morning to get there - having said that, I'm always amazed how many people seem to miss the raffle! At the end I squeeze in behind the wheel full of cake and tea for the drive home and a hot shower :cool:
In my experience of previous WRT events car/van camping, camping, bivvying, at BB Towers or in their field doesn't happen. Obviously that is up to Stu and The Boss but at the end of the day it's a working small-holding with 'Welsh topography' and already a lot of vehicles parking in almost straight rows for the weekend on an often damp field (sorry Stu if I'm treading on your toes writing this :wink: )
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

The wifetax is going to be crippling :o
:YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:

Steve, mate, pay the tax. It's better than the alternative. I missed last year due to a drama with my X who decided, at the last minute, that she didn't want to swap weekends with the kids after all and scuppered it all for me. We're on far better terms now.

Booked on and I'm bringing everything. EVERYTHING. Folding chair. 2lts of water. Three square meals per day. Cocktail shaker. Change of clothes for everyday. My bike will be so overloaded Rich G and Reg will have hernias just looking at it. :lol:
I'm just going outside ...
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

After years of wanting to make it to the WRT I've finally entered. Gonna cost me dearly at work as that now makes me unavailable for every single weekend in May (and we're an events/chip timing company so it's all weekends...) but ah well.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

psling wrote:
Sorry for a daft question... so whats the default position for most riders the night before and the night at end point... do you guys just sleep in your cars or bivi closeby somewhere... or do you get to lay your bivi/mat/bag down at BBtowers? Same Q for both/all events (ie. bb200 and WRTy
WRT - Personally I drive the approximately 100 miles up on the Saturday morning for the WRT (although I have made a longer weekend of it before now by riding Fri / bivvying Fri night). After all, you plan your own route / ride and you've got all Saturday morning to get there - having said that, I'm always amazed how many people seem to miss the raffle! At the end I squeeze in behind the wheel full of cake and tea for the drive home and a hot shower :cool:
In my experience of previous WRT events car/van camping, camping, bivvying, at BB Towers or in their field doesn't happen. Obviously that is up to Stu and The Boss but at the end of the day it's a working small-holding with 'Welsh topography' and already a lot of vehicles parking in almost straight rows for the weekend on an often damp field (sorry Stu if I'm treading on your toes writing this :wink: )
Nice... all making sense nicely... ta
Chew

Post by Chew »

redefined_cycles wrote:Sorry for a daft question... so whats the default position for most riders the night before and the night at end point... do you guys just sleep in your cars or bivi closeby somewhere... or do you get to lay your bivi/mat/bag down at BBtowers? Same Q for both/all events (ie. bb200 and WRTy
The WRT doesnt "start" until early afternoon, so people will either travel over in the morning, or travel on the friday and stay at the Star Inn (which is a couple of miles away)
People generally get back on monday afternoon (whenever you like) and then make there on way home after that.

BB200 is a bit different due to the early start (IIRC about 8am). So people stay over at the Star Inn or make there own arrangements. Same for afterwards
Winter Event is somewhere in the middle
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

:-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

redefined_cycles wrote:
I’ve found that for my 250ish mile drive, it’s least hassle (especially when generally I have to prep & pack the car on a Friday night) that a dawn raid on the UK road network is the way forwards, including the BB200. It’s quite impressive what pace you can get across the country early doors! Typically get fuel on the A458 just after Shrewsbury, and I’ve recently stopped grabbing a Maccers breakfast in Newtown as they take far too long and my average speed then drops significantly.
Robster

Post by Robster »

I've always enjoyed driving up on the day. leaving 5.30 to 6 from Torbay. missing a lot of the traffic while listening to the Stones, Led Zep & once into Wales Stone roses second coming.

If you can get a foot long sub for Llanidloes on the way in you can have half for lunch & have half for a wonderfully flavoured meal when you stop later.

Cheer Rob