27.5 plus tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Kito

27.5 plus tyres

Post by Kito »

Hi I'm looking for recommendations for 27.5 x3 plus tyres for general UK riding that don't cost the earth. What are you all using?
Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: 27.5 plus tyres

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like the WTB Ranger. Found the cheaper 'comp' version goes up fine tubeless, not pricey nor draggy yet enough grip for most conditions.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Robster

Post by Robster »

Worth keeping your eye on Planet X. They sometimes come up very cheaply. ;-)
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Mate of mine rides a Sonder that came with WTBs. He hasn't been too keen on the WTBs (not sure which ones)... a few sliced sidewalls etc. (North Wales hard pack forests and single track)… he has moved to Schwalbe Nobby Nicks in 2.8 - 3" flavour and is much happier with their performance and longevity (making them ??cheaper in the long run).
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mate of mine rides a Sonder that came with WTBs. He hasn't been too keen on the WTBs (not sure which ones)... a few sliced sidewalls etc. (North Wales hard pack forests and single track)…
If he's on Trail Blazers I concur ... sidewall tends to be the widest part of the tyre on TB and takes the brunt.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

I live in the lakes and slashed up several maxxis tyres I've gone over to the WTB tough line not had a issue since think I've a trailboss rear which is a tough fast compound, and a tough high grip vigilante front they are not + size but I can't praise them enough for performance and resilience to slate
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Got a trailblazer on the back and a ranger on the front ,,2nd trailblazer I've had in 18months , side walls are exposed but I have caught them roots and trail debris and not had a problem ,but when I change again it'll be for a ranger or bridger with the side nobblies ,no problems with the ranger but have only had it on a month ,at £23 from wiggle I really can't moan about it (apart from the fitting of all wtb +tyres)
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Mate of mine rides a Sonder that came with WTBs. He hasn't been too keen on the WTBs (not sure which ones)... a few sliced sidewalls etc. (North Wales hard pack forests and single track)…
If he's on Trail Blazers I concur ... sidewall tends to be the widest part of the tyre on TB and takes the brunt.
Could well be Stu - not sure what Alpkit fit... I know he's changed recently as we were talking about this on Sunday.... I like NNs too so was asking about the 27.5+ ones he had. I've been thinking f something with some front bounce to keep up on the downs (I'm sure my skill levels on the Jones on the ST is reaching it peak :-))
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

He hasn't been too keen on the WTBs (not sure which ones)... a few sliced sidewalls etc.
also my experience with Trailblazers which had a 4 " gash on the sidewall during the Trans cambrian trail. Not even on a massively rough section more a sort of loose hardpacked road

Did set up tubeless easily and was easily repaired with dental floss and a needle so i could finish the ride - actually still on bike but not sure i trust the sidewalls so unlikely to replace like for like
Last edited by Lazarus on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
postierich

Post by postierich »

Another vote for WTB Rangers with the Tough casing I have just gone Spesh Butcher on the rear and a dirt wizard on the front for the wintry conditions at the mo!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

are they set up tubeless how easy was it it if they are?
Andybev

Post by Andybev »

the wtb rangers are a piece of the proverbial to set up tubeless
:-bd
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

I have 1 new and 2 very little used Specialized 27.5x3.0 tyres I can do a very good deal on, as they are just sat in the garage as I don't have a plus bike anymore. PM me for details
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nobby Nics here - but I have some Bontrager XR4 Team Issue to fit when they eventually meet their demise. I've been using the XR4s on other bikes and really like them, so hoping for good things.

NNs have been great too TBF. Easy tubeless setup on WTB Scrapers.