Exped downmats?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Exped downmats?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Having splurged on a Revelation quilt I was wondering about getting a new "complimentary" mat. Downmats seem to be the answer. Anyone got one? Was struck by the weight of the standard 7 ones (880 for a full length). The UL versions then seem to be a bit of a leap in price but 300ish lighter.

Outdoors GB are doing them for c£100. "worth" it?

Can't stand cold feet so always go full length.

Got a numo, leightweight Alpkit mats and some ancient superlight thermarests already.
Gari

Re: Exped downmats?

Post by Gari »

Yeh I have a standard 7, great mat. I was out the other night with it, in a Bivi bag out in the open. The temp on my thermometer recorded a low of -12.9, I was in Braemar. No problems at all, really comfy too.
I tend not to worry to much about the weight for winter stuff(within reason of course) I think worrying about a few grams is counter productive this time of year.
If you are worried about the cost the synthetic one is the same weight and pack size, just not as warm. -18 or some such, as apposed to -24!!! I think the're worth the money myself.

Gari
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Fair point about winter gear and weight. However, I was planning to use it all year round. A possibily silly question but is it ok for that?
Mike

Post by Mike »

have a look at the exped synmat ul7 i love mine, its lightweight and packs down small i find it warmer than my thermarest pro
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Thermarest Xtherm Neoair?

Haven't tried mine in anger yet mind you...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Flatfishy (downmat UL) and myself (synmat UL) spent last night on a very cold stone floor ... which we couldn't feel. I was also using a quilt, so nothing but the mat under me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Heres the Downmat 7 UL m next to my Regular Neoair for size reference,
Having used it for the first time on the Welsh Winter Bivi, I must say I'm very impressed with it.
Comfier than the Neoair and whilst i've never really felt the cold floor through a Neoair it's definitely warmer. The baffles are also lengthways with the two outer ones being slightly bigger than the inners meaning its harder to roll off like the Neoair that I always feel like I'm perched on top of it.
I'll still use the Neoair in the warmer month's due to pack size but for comfort and warmth the Exped Downmat is my new favourite by a country mile.

The packed weight including Stuff sack, repair kit and Schnozzle bag is 689g.
They quote 565g iirc.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I see no reason for not using it all year, a little heavier and bulkier than a summer mat but that's all really.
In fairness the size would be about the same as a n other self inflating mat anyway. Comfort is for year round right :D
Gari
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have a downmat 7, its by far the most comforatable mat. I always take it for winter use.
Mine is the standard version which is a pain to pump up but its good once up.

I also have an airmat UL, which I like but its got no warmth to it.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Sorry to deviate away from the topic (only slighty) but could s8tsnnorm tell me more about the quilt he used with his exped?
I am going for the exped ul 7 as well only in the widest they do and would like to come away from a bag as i feel really restricted in them and like side sleeping plus on my last outing i had a bit of a panic in the middlemof the night when i got cramp and could not get my arms out or sit up, sounds funny now but at the time it wasn't.
Thanks and apologies for deviating from the op question
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

just found another post that answers the question.
any way +1 for exped ul7 i am comfort over weight i just need to put my money where my mouth is. :D
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry to deviate away from the topic (only slighty) but could s8tsnnorm tell me more about the quilt he used with his exped?
I shall be doing a review on the quilt shortly ... besides the Enlightened I've also used a Golite Ultra 20 with the mat.
nobby

Post by nobby »

Probably too late to be helpful but I have an Exped downmat and a Neoair.
I used the Exped in all four seasons for three years (started with a std. but realised I wasn't long enough for it and bought a short). I had a problem with it suddenly going cold under me (I bought a second quilt before I realised that it was the downmat at fault) and the after sales service from the distributor was superb. They replaced it with the newest model even though I didn't have a receipt.
I bought the Neoair when I decided to reduce bulk and now only use the downmat when it is going to be very cold.

As an aside, re being perched on top. I expect everybody here knows that there is no need to pump an air bed up hard. I have camped with people who do and they don't have a comfy night. I learnt back in the days of Boy Scouts and Lilo's that there is enough air in it when you sit in the middle and your bum can just feel the floor through it. That way when you are flat the air bed supports you and it hardly matters which way the tubes run.
Apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs :)
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cheers for all the info. Time to cane the credit card ;-)
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I just got a synmat ul s, dumb question but can it be stored rolled up or should it be inflated?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just got a synmat ul s, dumb question but can it be stored rolled up or should it be inflated?
I store mine loosly rolled with the valves open ... don't know if it's right or wrong but it seems okay.