We now have actual bikepacking tents.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

We now have actual bikepacking tents.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Big Agness has just launched a range of bikepacking specific tents. They look quite similar to their other tents except the poles are shorter when folded, the stuffsack has webbing loops on the outside and they have a helmet stotage facility between inner / outer - cunning.

I wonder whether you could still use one if you decided to leave the bike at home or would you be better buying a specific 'walking' tent for those occasions?

https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Tents/Bikepacking
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: We now have actual bikepacking tents.

Post by RIP »

Fair enough. Too many poles though for me, and 1.25kg is a bit portly. Presumably the 'helmet storage' thingy is the only feature Marketing could come up with to differentiate from non-BP tents. 'Hmm, now how are bikers different..'. And "media pockets"??? I know I'm Reg but what's wrong with just stargazing at bedtime! If one needs artificial entertainment on hand you'd be best off at home in front of the telly. I'm sure we could come up with some more useful proper 'BP' features eh kids? I can't help thinking they've missed a trick - Fireproof floor for when the meths stove gets kicked in a drunken stupor, lockable cake safe, beer voucher dispenser, cloaking device to hide from dog walkers etc etc.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: ....and they have a helmet stotage facility between inner / outer - cunning.
I interpret that as "our tent is so small that you won't get your helmet inside but don't worry as we've thought of a way to keep it out of the reach of passing slugs" :lol:

The shorter folded poles is a good call as it's the pole length that governs the packed length usually, plus on my quick look on the site I didn't see any fires so that's a good sign :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Nothing beats Stu’s super short poles which really do make the difference for me when packing my sleeping stuff.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Totally agree re Stupoles - we're jolly lucky to have him, with all the customising options. I really must get round to asking him about that 48-piece 1"-section set so I can just stash them in a pocket with my tarp :smile:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I can't help thinking they've missed a trick - Fireproof floor for when the meths stove gets kicked in a drunken stupor, lockable cake safe, beer voucher dispenser, cloaking device to hide from dog walkers etc etc.
Oh Reg, you don't half make me giggle.
Last edited by TheBrownDog on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

goes with the job mate - tickle toes, tickle toes :smile:.

Desperately trying to work out how to get a pass for your Feb caper but not doing very well :sad: . Me birthday two days beforehand and off ter see the offspring in Sheffield that weekend.

(PS. In one of those little "links", after my jape last year to your ancestral seat in Workington ( :-bd ) I got interested in the ironstone industry round there and The Postman's Been this morning with a copy of the collectable (by loons like me anyway) book "The Story Of Iron Ore Mining In West Cumbria" by Mervyn Dodds. Now if that ain't a niche book I dunno what is (*)...)

(*) PPS. actually I do know what is - my NINE-volume set of "Ironstone Quarries of the Midlands" by Eric Tonks :wink:.

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

How do they compare to the Topeak bike tent? :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We've the normal(?) version Big Agnes 2 person Copper Spur and it's not that bad to carry when using MTB bars, looks like the pole section length is now "optimised" for use with drop bars. Looking at the blurb for this "bikepacking" version the main difference seems to be the pole section length but what's most awkward about the poles isn't the length but the spider to which they attach - the whole of the main cross is shock corded together so it doesn't pack particularly nicely.

Not sure about the "drying loops" on the outside of the fly :???: The most awkward thing about the tent I've found so far is not being able to tie the fly door back so you can get in or out without brushing against the material. The door tidy looks to be for the inner which isn't really a problem. Most of the other "features" seem to be tweeks of existing things.

The tent's actually pretty big volume wise because of the near vertical sides. Split between two we've around 750g each (we've the groundsheet which is optional with the normal version) so it's not that bad weightwise either. A daisychain on the stuff bag would make carrying it a bit more secure.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Anything for a slight tweak and another sale, still companies thinking about how tents are going to be packed/carried is nifty.
I've a normal BA copper spur 2 and must say it's been my favourite tent out of several over the years. As Whitestone said it's pretty massive inside and the side porches make for good storage. I'm a tall disorganised chap so tend to use it for longer trips and spread out inside.

Agree with the spider/pole situation. I tend to stick the poles in a tangle frame bag, but it's an older one pre stretchy zipper so it's not ideal.
The most awkward thing about the tent I've found so far is not being able to tie the fly door back so you can get in or out without brushing against the material.
Dude pretty sure there is a little toggle for this, or at least mine has one
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm guessing just good pr work and making a bit more money off the back of what for some is a new trend " bikepacking " you just know some folk will buy them because of how they are advertised!! :roll:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Isn't it just a company that makes tents and sells them to people making tents and selling them to people?
Not a big surprise really.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Tent company tweaks their established design to sell more tents. Can’t see the harm in the that, and shorter poles sounds like a good change to me.

It a bit like changing an outdoors jacket into a cycling jacket. Make the tail a little longer and low and behold, we’ve a cycling jacket. Small tweak but a different market or have I missed something?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Isn't it just a company that makes tents and sells them to people making tents and selling them to people?
Not a big surprise really.
The surprise to me was that they actually think / thought there is / was a market large enough to warrant changes and the effort / expense of marketing them. Obviously, they think there is. Certainly wasn't kncking them and aside from the 'helmet holder', it sounds like the alterations will be welcome but I was a little bemused.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Fair enough. I guess all BA markets are fairly niche. Add the trad touring types to the bikepacking tramps and the ultra-hipster-mega-racers and you have a target big enough to shoot at it would seem.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's rare for a product to be "right" first time so there's often a series of tweaks/refinements to keep the brand/product in the spotlight, keep sales moving and differentiate them from their competitors. It does seem a bit odd to have two versions of what is essentially the same tent - the new features add about 100g but most of that is in the extra size of the footprint which in both cases is sold separately.

Stu - the Americans seem to be much more in to taking a tent when bikepacking rather than using a tarp. Cultural? Environmental? Dunno.

jamesh - from memory there's no toggle to tie back the door or if there is then it means that the opening is compromised in some way - can't remember now but it didn't seem ideal. Could be user error of course.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bit OT but not worth a thread. Just back from the shops and spotted a tent in the park at the end of our road, obviously a homeless person. Quite a few tents around our town now, none bothering to be stealthy but seemingly not getting hassled. Not saying we should feel guilty in our executive tents/bivis but worth sparing a thought, a word, or a practical offer perhaps.

20190126_093925
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

psling

Post by psling »

The irony of a 'helmet holder' for me is that I tend to use my helmet itself as a holder at night - it holds all those little bits and pieces I don't want to lose in the undergrowth, all piled into the upturned helmet :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Tents look alright, but more interestingly...
(PS. In one of those little "links", after my jape last year to your ancestral seat in Workington ( :-bd ) I got interested in the ironstone industry round there and The Postman's Been this morning with a copy of the collectable (by loons like me anyway) book "The Story Of Iron Ore Mining In West Cumbria" by Mervyn Dodds. Now if that ain't a niche book I dunno what is (*)...)
What gives you your interest in Iron Ore mining?
I taught for years in Egremont, home to Europe's last working deep ore mine - Florence.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... gy.society
Hard to ignore the impact it had with Cornish, Polish and other immigrant miners. Coal mined nearby too, with iron works at Cleator Moor, then Workington. Not much left now....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hi Box, I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe all my ancestors being Derbyshire miners (including the women and children too probably!) has caused a filtering down via the genes, giving me an interest in the 'extractive industries' and holes in the ground generally (dunno if genes can transmit 'interests', must ask me Genetics MSc daughter, very much doubt it but what the heck). There is a link to BP, because I found a bike/tent was the best way to reach all the remote and obscure slate, coal, iron etc sites. Maybe it's a Fred Dibnahesque harking back to lost times hitting things with hammers. I feel a little guilty sometimes seeking out these post-industrial remains with their associated lost communities and jobs.

Egremont - capital of gurning as I'm sure you're fed up being reminded :smile:. Yes, shame re Florence, finally killed by BNFL not wanting to pay for water pumping. Maybe there's a new chapter starting with the Haig coal proposal, albeit in some ways a backward step in this day and age. Really enjoyed my visit to the area last Sept for my BaM (see my writeup if you're bored today! http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 25#p162995) - takes a bit more effort to unearth (ho ho) its little treasures but ultimately much more rewarding than the obvious scenery further east. Interesting people too. Have you left the area? Would you return?

Erm, tents....

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It might be a leap but bikepacking.com gave some glowing reviews of the big Agnes tents so it would’t surprise me if these tents are just a response to feedback about what would make them better for bikepacking. Bikepacking is a growth outdoor market so manufacturers are jumping on that bandwagon
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

PaulB2 wrote:It might be a leap but bikepacking.com gave some glowing reviews of the big Agnes tents so it would’t surprise me if these tents are just a response to feedback about what would make them better for bikepacking. Bikepacking is a growth outdoor market so manufacturers are jumping on that bandwagon
I think it's pretty straightforward to say that is the case. BA seem to support a range of bikepacking.com content, assume via donations of kit for the longer features,etc
Also with US brands they have the extra market of selling products via the prism of stores such as REI, which can easily be a one stop shop for all bikepacking kit (potentially all curated in one area)
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

RIP wrote:Hi Box, I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe all my ancestors being Derbyshire miners (including the women and children too probably!) has caused a filtering down via the genes, giving me an interest in the 'extractive industries' and holes in the ground generally (dunno if genes can transmit 'interests', must ask me Genetics MSc daughter, very much doubt it but what the heck). There is a link to BP, because I found a bike/tent was the best way to reach all the remote and obscure slate, coal, iron etc sites. Maybe it's a Fred Dibnahesque harking back to lost times hitting things with hammers. I feel a little guilty sometimes seeking out these post-industrial remains with their associated lost communities and jobs.
Hello Reg - If you are interested in mining lobbocks, then remind me next time our paths cross - I can give you the full pit props and chock nogs along with other nonsense that is rapidly becoming folk-lore - That's if I can remember my NCB days (Affectionately reminisced as No C***Bothered.) - Alcohol helps with recall.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Will do :smile:. Did one of my regular visit to the oldsters recently. Dad likes to talk about old times (mainly because he can't remember any of the new times...), so I dug out a framed certificate that I've had for a while. It was presented to my great-grandfather when he retired in 1956. Signed by Mr Bowman, NCB Chairman, and everything. "In recognition and appreciation of 52 YEARS loyal and efficient service". IN THE SAME PIT - Coppice near Ilkeston. Didn't even get a clock. Different times, but by all accounts he loved the job and his mates.

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Reg (I know this is all starting to get very OT) but if you like historic mining & iron works stuff & you're in the South West Lakes any time, then this place is worth a visit. There's even the moulds that 'pig iron' gets its name from still in the ground-

https://www.visitcumbria.com/sl/duddon-ironworks/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duddon_furnace

There's a great techie track that runs down from the hill behind down to the furnace, but its more trail than bikepacking terrain..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!