Talk to me about Rohloff

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

stevenshand

Re: Talk to me about Rohloff

Post by stevenshand »

We use the OEM2 axle plate almost exclusively now. Much neater but does mean the mudguard/rack eyelet needs to be in the correct place.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ripio wrote:the chances of the axle plate notch lining up with the mudguard/rack eyelet on any particular bike frame must be unlikely.
And would an eyelet be able to take the torque forces?
I used one on an alloy CX frame mudguard eye for a year or so with no issues. I don't think the torque force is huge.
You're right, the OEM2 plate notch didn't line up on my frame. I used the torque arm mounting plate that has a notch in between the two bolt holes which lined up pretty well and held just fine.
TBH the thing from SJS is nothing more than a fancy nut. I'm pretty confident any old nut that fitted into the slot would do the sam job. However with the official one being inexpensive you may as well use that if you were to give it a try.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Not owning a disc rohloff, do you still have to use their own rotor? Somehow led to believe that was the case. If so do they function fine enough?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

It's a unique 4 bolt pattern.
Other manufacturers make disks to fit. They're just rotors so work fine whoever makes them though you can splash the cash and get a Hope floating disk.
I have standard Hope disks one each of mine that were in the region of £25 on eBay
WSC
ripio

Post by ripio »

lune ranger wrote:. I don't think the torque force is huge.
Which begs the question, why Rohloff have only just come up with this solution rather than the long torque arm they have been producing for 20 years or so?
The torque can be sufficient to break a chainstay according to this article on Sheldon Brown https://www.sheldonbrown.com/twist-internal.html
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

mines been running on dedicated left hand drop outs on a thorn raven enduro , and ragley TD-1

it now runs on a DIY speedbone on my 9zero7 fatty set up very similar to how shand has it except with a slot machined into a Disk Mount adaptor for the OEM 2 plate.

never had any issues from those things.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

lune ranger wrote:It's a unique 4 bolt pattern.
Other manufacturers make disks to fit.
While the 4bolt usage is proprietary to rohloff disks the 65mm BCD matches that of small chain rings ( you actually use chainring bolts to mount it) apparently you can fit a chain ring, flip the hub and run it fixed.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

lune ranger wrote:
ZeroDarkBivi wrote:if you are after a solution that requires no fiddling and faffing to set up, this is probably not going to float your boat.

Not sure I understand your point here. There's a little bit of work shop time to get set up and then you have gears you essentially don't need to touch. Besides cleaning the chain, yearly oil change and occasionally taking up chain slack.
Derailleurs need constant fettling to keep just so and the moment they get covered in mud or take a little tap from a rock you're back with your fingers covered in grease rather than riding.
Can I take that back?
Spent a couple of miserable hours yesterday getting a Rohbox to play with the Rohloff on my Fargo build.
A more picky set up I can't imagine.
However it's all done now and the faff is over. It ran faultlessly on a CX bike used for commuting for over a year. Let's see if it does the same for a more off road set up
WSC
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Spent a couple of miserable hours yesterday getting a Rohbox to play with the Rohloff on my Fargo build.
But to be fair, none of what you were setting up had anything to do with Rohloff no?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Absolutely fair. Rohloff set up is a bit of a fiddle but no great pain. A reasonable analogy might be tubeless tyres. A bit of workshop time traded in for trouble free trails.
Setting up the Rohbox is more like getting a Surly Clownshoe to work ghetto tubeless with a 5 inch tyre and a track pump...not much fun
WSC
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

I think the man's point was that rohloff don't make the rohbox so it's not fair to blame them for set up hassles.

The rohloff supplied clickbox is easy to set up.
Clanton

Post by Clanton »

This thread has reminded me I need to change the oil on my and my wife's touring bikes before our summer trip.
How essential is it to replace the drainage plug with a new one? The price of a full kit is £17.99 or so which includes the plug, but for £47 I can get 250ml of each oil......
I have the syringe and filling adaptor already.
Worth getting new plugs or not?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

When I first got the Rohloff I never changed the plug and didn't have any problems. Rohloff recommend it so I do now. I'm inherently pretty cautious and would hate to think that I could ruin a Speedhub by getting the plug stuck.
You can buy them separately from SJS
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

restlessshawn wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:13 pm Shame hub gear development seems to have stagnated I was hoping by now Rohloffs might be cheaper or there might be something else with a wide enough range. I have a (modern) 5 speed sturmey archer on my road bike and it's great for just riding...it's definitely more stop for chips and a pint type rides than chain gangs though. I guess making huge cassettes was easier!

Do Rohloffs make lovely clockwork noises like Sturmey Archers?
You don't mention Kindernay or Pinion, Pinion frame specific, kindernay hydro shifter, but no experience of either. I'm just using an 20yr old rohloff, that speaks for itself, (for 10yrs not serviced when it was stolen & used as a get to work hack bike), that's another tales.
Rohloff converted it to disk encap. Said very little wrong internally and they upgraded the springs, for lighter shifting... Would any thing else still be working like that..?
Noise.- I originally ran it on a steel frame then changed to an alloy frame and it made it really noisy as the stiffer (?) frame amplified & resonated, the extra spinning pinions. Its the frame not the hub that makes it really noisy, in my experience.
Edit : correct a few spelling typo so it makes sense
Last edited by ledburner on Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Repurpose, a old short cage rear mech?
I want 2 cogs, at back to give me that half step. I've got it working with Front Chainrings but that makes changes too slow.. Like a 1/2-1 crank revolution as oppose to 1/8-1/4 turn of the cranks.
It of course needs ramp/profiles on sprocket teeth...

As usual I've edited a few typos.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..