Drop bar off road advice please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Retiredtester

Drop bar off road advice please

Post by Retiredtester »

I'm hoping to do some off road stuff this year (cambrian and sdw itts, plus, if I'm lucky, torino nice are on the bucket list). I'd really like to put together a drop bar 650b/29er bike that is adequate on the road, but capable of some proper off road stuff. I'd like the option for mounting cages on the forks and want something pretty bomb proof, so thinking steel or alloy throughout. Would like the option of fitting 50c tyres, so decent clearance is a must. I come from a purely road background, so drops are a must. For reference, I'm currently using a boardman Cross bike, but it lacks the clearance I'm after and has carbon forks that I'd fear for on anything really rough.

The shand frames look spot on, but out of reach price wise. The salsa fargo looks v interesting, so I'm keeping an eye on ebay. Neither the ribble 725 or the sonder caminos have metal forks with anything cage bosses, so I've ruled them out. Ditto the Mason bokeh, which is also a bit pricey. Is there anything obvious out there that I'm missing?

TIA,
Tom
jameso

Re: Drop bar off road advice please

Post by jameso »

If you are 5'9" to 6', I might know of a crmo project frame and fork you could try out. Matches your needs 100%. Just let me know.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Genesis Vagabond andBombtrack Beyond are quite similar to a Fargo.

Salsa Journeyman is alloy with carbon forks but with the cage mounts and cheaper new than a Fargo.

Almost anything Surly make is all steel with fork mounts, plenty out there with drop bars fitted.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks Johnny - great advice. James, I'll drop you a line now!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't be concerned about using carbon forks off-road, they won't break. I'd generally avoid alloy forks off-road like I'd avoid putting my nob in a mangle ... they tend to be very harsh and unforgiving.

I also wouldn't rule anything out because it doesn't have cage mounts. They're great when additional capacity is required but there's a surprising amount of 'aero drag' when they're fitted.

Genesis Vagabond could be worth a look as it seems to tick all your boxes.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Javi

Post by Javi »

You could try to contact Shona and Rich, from Keep Pedalling bike shop in Manchester. I'm sure they can give you good advice.
Or you could buy the Ribble or Sonder and get forks separately.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks folks. The vagabond looks interesting norm and point noted re the knob/mangle aspect. I must admit I've never broken a pair of carbon forks through normal use, but did once send a loose front light through my wheel and the mess it made of the forks has always made me a bit wary of them off road. And good suggestion re swapping out the forks on a sonder, Javi. I'd like to have the extra capacity afforded by fitting anything cages, despite any extra drag - only done one multi day ride and my inability to pack small meant I ended up binning my bike packing luggage and fitting panniers - couple of extra 6 litre dry bags would have made all the difference.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I reckon this is a good option, but the frameset and complete build is a bit spendy for me:

https://www.thelightblue.co.uk/Sport/5L ... -One-By-MT

Great bike though, taking proper 29" tyres.

Or get a camino or vagabond and get the fork only. I'm thinking of doing the same on my arkose:

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-f ... ork-p17805

But the A/C is 425mm so fairly tall and resulting minor implications to geometry etc.
jameso

Post by jameso »

minor implications
vs the 400mm of the Arkose, some might put it at slightly more than 'minor' :wink:
(but others could say I'm fussy in that respect)
faustus

Post by faustus »

Indeed, I think I'd have to be fairly desperate for fork bosses to go with it in the end...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

25mm, it'd be fine.

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I've been increasingly thinking (lusting) over bikes of this ilk. A bike in this category, alongside my hardtail, would cover pretty much all my bases.

I've come across some Singular Swifts that seemingly play well with drops, I presume this would make it fargo esq.

What I really like the look of (off the peg) is the Kona Sutra ltd. Maybe swapping the forks at a later stage for some carbon triple mount jobbies. Anyhow holding out for some real world reports on them.

http://www.konaworld.com/sutra_ltd.cfm
jameso

Post by jameso »

Anyhow holding out for some real world reports on them.
I heard some really good things about that bike from someone with opinions I trust, 'you'd love it' amongst other things.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Been lusting after a kona sutra ltd for a while and it'll be a good while more before I could buy that or anything else :cry:

My drop bar 29er is a steel charge cooker 3 with genetic digest bars, 2.3" tyres, recently went back to 100mm front suspension. works well for me despite the ugly short high stem work-around due to the long TT.

But I was really enjoying riding my Genesis vapour CX with 40mm tyres too. I need drop bars due to wrist issues and in don't ride super rad gnar anyway.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Are you looking for a drop bar MTB (monster cross style), with 2 inch or more tyres, or a gravel bike that can take some off road

I'd say a good proportion of people here ride MTBs with a rigid fork and will happily do 'proper' off road, just a bit slower than if you had suspension (or in my case a lot slower :grin: )

Personally I have rigid carbon forks which have cage mounts (that I've not yet used) and they've taken everything my clumsy style has given them
jameso

Post by jameso »

There's always the new Arkose.

https://singletrackworld.com/gritcx/201 ... than-ever/

RE carbon point, those forks are ADKs, they make good stuff.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

So basically slightly wider and beefier than the 2017-2018 bikes? ie wider rear end, wider rims, wider range (comparing the 2018 Arkose 3 to the 2019 D3). Is that a 3 pack mount on the down tube?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Riddler 45's James?
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks once again for all the advice. Jameso has been good enough to offer me the loan of a steel frame set that looks spot on, so hopefully I'm on my way.
jameso

Post by jameso »

PaulB2 wrote:So basically slightly wider and beefier than the 2017-2018 bikes? ie wider rear end, wider rims, wider range (comparing the 2018 Arkose 3 to the 2019 D3). Is that a 3 pack mount on the down tube?
Lighter frames, slimmed in some places and stiffened in others, ie refined. 142 or 135 rear, swappable dropouts. Wider rims and
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Riddler 45's James?
- yes, on the Dirt spec models. Road spec are on 30mm WTBs and there's a set of 3 bottle mounts on the DT - hi/low bottle or Anything Cage etc.

All specs here (for answering Qs more than a stealth ad, understood if removed) https://www.evanscycles.com/search?text=arkose%202019
Scud

Post by Scud »

I do like the look of that James, is is singlespeedable (looking for a frame and forks to replace my aging Singular Peregrine)?
ootini

Post by ootini »

That journeyman by Salsa looks nice, and surprisingly affordable.
That said, the Bombtrack Hook ext-c makes me want to do sex wee. It is quite possibly the most beautiful bike ever built.
Last edited by ootini on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Scud wrote:I do like the look of that James, is is singlespeedable (looking for a frame and forks to replace my aging Singular Peregrine)?
The Alfine model is - not sure how many frames we'll have available though as it's a bit niche. The Arkose S was popular in many ways but we didn't sell that many. It's a shame as SS rando-packing appeals to me in a weird way - think I'll get the Monzonite for that.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Jameso, looks like the womens D3 tall is essentially same size as men's medium. As a man, would it be daft to look at the woman's version to get the slightly smaller front chain rings? Or am I missing something?

Cheers
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

This seems to of swung by with useful timing -
http://www.bikepacking.com/index/drop-b ... ikes-29er/

Re- the kona sutra ltd (or road based konas generally). Biggest size is 58cm, I'm 6"4 and ride 60cm road bikes wonder if this is a consideration..