Garmin Edge Explore anyone got one?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Garmin Edge Explore anyone got one?

Post by pistonbroke »

I've used an Edge Touring for 5 years or so with decent experiences, the only issue was the USB port breaking due to being permenently left plugged in on multi day trips and rattling itself apart. This was remedied at reasonable cost so can't really complain. They've stopped making it and brought out a pared back version of the 1030 which doesn't have all the power meter gizmos which I don't need anyway.The cost of the Explore is half that of a 1030 at around €230 and the only issue I could see is it doesn't have a micro SD slot but uses a 16GB internal memory. Talkytoaster have said it will take the Spanish mapping they sold me . The big plus for me is that I can transfer routes wirelessly to the Explore from Wikiloc which I use a lot here but have to download to my PC and transfer via cable to the Touring.
I'm a bit wary as Garmin have a bad rep for beta testing their products on early adopters so am keen to know if anyone has got one and how they work in the real world, I'm keen to know if the screen clarity is ok and whether battery life is as claimed.
(Yes I know Oregon is the only answer re batteries but they're also double the price of the Explore and I do have a working dynamo based charging system to keep the unit going, it's just not on every bike that the Garmin is used)
Thanks
Pickers

Re: Garmin Edge Explore anyone got one?

Post by Pickers »

I've one of these... A bit unfashionable in these parts maybe but I've been pretty chuffed with it for my purposes.
Got to say it's been faultless. I have a set of Ioffer UK OS Maps that went straight on without issue, just needed a couple of goes to get them in the right folder.
Nav is much like the Touring (I had one for a few years too).
The screen clarity is streets ahead. Battery life ok but not fantastic, but it doesn't shut down when you pull the plug either! Downside is the charging port is underneath, just behind the mount. Means you can't stem mount and charge on the go. I use an extended out front mount or a stem cap mount. Both of these work fine.
I've even been brave enough to update it! And it still works!
Gimme a shout if youve any other questions, I'll help as best I can.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
pistonbroke

Re: Garmin Edge Explore anyone got one?

Post by pistonbroke »

Cheers for that, seems a decent upgrade. I saw the silly USB port position and reckoned I could get around it by using a cable with 90° up angle. I got a similar mini USB lead for my Touring and it did a better job of keeping itself attached and the dust out. I don't tend to worry about water ingress in these parts. :-bd