Mkettle ( small Gillie kettle)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Andybev

Mkettle ( small Gillie kettle)

Post by Andybev »

Any thoughts this looks like a great bit of kit for bike packing, no fuel needed to carry ( just collect as required) and very quick boiling

https://www.ghillie-kettle.co.uk/produc ... tle-silver
benp1

Re: Mkettle ( small Gillie kettle)

Post by benp1 »

One trick pony and quite large for what it is Good for bushcraft type stuff but too much faff on the bike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had one, I think I reviewed it many years ago. They work very well but they are quite big and reasonably heavy (when compared to some other things). They also require you to carry an additional mug or similar as you can't really drink from them directly.

If you're not planning to travel fast or far and don't mind the potential limitations of finding dry(ish) fuel then they're good fun.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Loki

Post by Loki »

One of my friends has been using one for the past two years and loves his, I am currently waiting for mine to arrive which I plan on running on my old Trangia burner or wood, Yes it is bulky but you can store another 500ml of water on board, the only complaint is stability on uneven ground.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Personally I'd rather use one of my wood burning stoves

The three I have are the bushbuddy, the emberlit ul to and the pocket stove ti. The last one is a bit too small to be much serious use but the other two are great
Andybev

Post by Andybev »

Loki wrote:One of my friends has been using one for the past two years and loves his, I am currently waiting for mine to arrive which I plan on running on my old Trangia burner or wood, Yes it is bulky but you can store another 500ml of water on board, the only complaint is stability on uneven ground.
I saw one in the outdoor shop in Cheddar and I think I am going to get one :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Crap bikepacking kit. Great car camping / canoe / trailbuilding gear. IMO. Plenty of romance and fun to using them, too.

Got the one Stu' tested (I think, and I mean the actual one, note the same type) and regularly use the biggest ghillie kettles at trailbuilding days where a brew helps morale and work-rate. For digs and where you don't have to carry them they are great. Our trailbuilding kits include all the makings, including an insulated teapot, and can be carried on on a handy barrow :wink:
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I've used my Mkettle loads this last week - up in Scotland on a whitewater kayaking trip, mainly straight off the river and getting an brew on. Agreed, it's heavier than some of the ultralight kit but works a bit better than a gas stove in properly cold conditions. I keep some tinder stuff, a small bottle of gel fuel, and a few drier twigs in the bag with it then there's kit to start it with. Most of the places I used it there was plenty of other twigs and stuff around to run it off.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

It's a great bit of kit and boils the water up very quickly, even when it's properly cold. I've used it on loads of trips without feeling too weighed down - the main issue is the volume it takes up compared to a very lightweight setup.