Sleeping bag opinion mountain hardwear phantom

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mitomaniac

Sleeping bag opinion mountain hardwear phantom

Post by Mitomaniac »

Been looking about online for a bag that is warm but packs small etc and i find affordable

https://rockrun.com/collections/mountai ... tom-28f-2c

Would that be a suitable bag for autumn and spring times ? i have a bag thats suitable with a silk liner for summer and it packs small too.

i was looking at weight and packsize and its right at the upper limit of my budget, i have a military bivy bag ill be using with it, and i do have a liner i can always use for a bit more insulation
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sleeping bag opinion mountain hardwear phantom

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a very good bag and should do exactly what you require.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:It's a very good bag and should do exactly what you require.

Appreciated thanks
psling

Post by psling »

Agree with Stu, that looks a good buy at that price. Handled with care it should give a lot of fun nights out.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

Ordered

Thanks next to resolve the tarp or tent debate

Looking to the DD super light 2.8 X 1.5 or whatever it is or the hexoeak 2

Both different but I can only go one or the other advantage of the tent is my little boy can come along he can sleep in inner and I'll give bag the porch bit but it's packsize and weight penalty again meh
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Both different but I can only go one or the other advantage of the tent is my little boy can come along he can sleep in inner and I'll give bag the porch bit but it's packsize and weight penalty again meh
You'll get 1.5 of you under a small tarp and kids love kipping under tarps :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When we started using tarps we used the Alpkit r-i-g3.5 which is 2.4x1.4m and could (just) squeeze in two adults. Actually the main problem wasn't floor space but head room as to keep the edges reasonably close to the ground (and we are talking 200mm here) then there isn't the material to allow you to pitch it so that the ridge is high enough to sit up.

Their (DD) 3x3m superlight tarp isn't much heavier and would definitely be big enough for two.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I got me and my 13yr old under a dd s tarp in a fashion when on Jenn ride this year ,heads and parts of body under tarp feet sicking out ( could have been set up in a different configuration to get a bit more coverage but it wouldn't have been much more) and Stu's right he loved the tarp and as he put it the bodybag
Attachments
2018-12-31_10-32-32.jpg
2018-12-31_10-32-32.jpg (116.55 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

middleagedmadness wrote:I got me and my 13yr old under a dd s tarp in a fashion when on Jenn ride this year ,heads and parts of body under tarp feet sicking out ( could have been set up in a different configuration to get a bit more coverage but it wouldn't have been much more) and Stu's right he loved the tarp and as he put it the bodybag
That's a good photo for explaining my point about considering the tarp and bivvy bag as part of a system.
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

Excellent info again thanks I'll try and get him a cheap bivvy bag for the odd summer trip we will do
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Cheers routes ,he loves that set up much more than a tent ,just a shame with his other hobbies and the amount of school work he brings home he only managed to get out 2-3 times a year