Gear recommendations and Is a 3x3 tarp too big for solo

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mitomaniac

Gear recommendations and Is a 3x3 tarp too big for solo

Post by Mitomaniac »

I'm planning on bike packing next year and impulse purchased a bargain DD 3x3 tarp is this possibly a bit large for a solo person I didn't realise the packsize was as big as it is.

Cookware wise I'm sorted as I have some gear from camping and such.

I have a basic bivvy bag and a alpkit lumo or Numo whichever it is

Sleeping bag wise I'd appreciate advise on a cost effective 3 season bag with decent packsize and doesn't mind a bit of damp.

And then luggage options for the bike too and water carrying what's a good amount to aim to get on the bike

I'm happy to make AliExpress purchase to keep costs down and have a go at making some bags or altering bags to suit a new purpose just looking for recommendations and advice
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Gear recommendations and Is a 3x3 tarp too big for solo

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm planning on bike packing next year and impulse purchased a bargain DD 3x3 tarp is this possibly a bit large for a solo person I didn't realise the packsize was as big as it is.
Yes and no. It will obviously offer greater coverage but it will also be more difficult to set-up in some instances. My advice would simply be to have a practice and see how you get on.
I have a basic bivvy bag
How basic? Some cheap bags really don't breath well, so condensation becomes quite a problem.
Sleeping bag wise I'd appreciate advise on a cost effective 3 season bag with decent packsize and doesn't mind a bit of damp.
Cost effective and damp ... synthetic could be the way forward. The Mountain Hardware 'Lamina' range of bags are well worth a look and can be had for reasonable money with some shopping about. HyperLamina Spark half price here: https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mot ... lsrc=aw.ds
And then luggage options for the bike too and water carrying what's a good amount to aim to get on the bike
Recently playing with the POD luggage from PlanetX and it's very good for the money.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice can of worms you've opened there :wink:

The Alpkit R-i-g3.5 is plenty big enough (and packs small enough) for one, we used it for the two of us for quite a while. See the reviews section from the main site on here for tips on how to set it up.

Water: as little as possible :-bd Get something like an MSR TrailShot water filter to let you fill up at any available source. I usually just take one 750ml water bottle.

Down is fine for sleeping bags even in our damp climate, you just have to take a bit of care. Note that sleeping bags have an upper comfort limit so a three season bag might be too hot in summer, you might be better getting a summer bag then look at something as a wrapper to augment it when things get cooler. I use a PHD Minim 200 and a Cumulus 150 quilt in this manner. Not cheap but no worse than a quality 3 season bag.

Bags to put it all in. Look at Alpkit, Wildcat, Apidura, Revelate amongst others. You'd probably want/need a handlebar harness & bag and a seat harness and bag and some form of frame bag. It's all very much a voyage of discovery finding out what works for you for any particular season/trip.

Edit: See this recent thread about bags http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =7&t=13712 I posted some shots of the various configurations I use. As an update here's what I used for a three day trip around Kielder Forest. In the list below I didn't use the items marked with an asterisk.

Wildcat Lion harness with Revelate Saltyroll bag: R-i-g7 tarp*, pole for tarp*; Exped inflatable mat; Borah Gear bivy bag*; PHD Minim 200 bag; Cumulus 150 quilt; a day's dried food; pan.
Alpkit stem cell: car key, Xmas cake; Alpkit MyTiMug 650 containing pop can stove, matches, tea bags, porage oats.
Revelate Feed bag: trail food (and more Xmas cake)
Alpkit top tube bag: wallet; phone; pegs for tarp; batteries; various leads; toothbrush and paste.
Beerbabe downtube bag: tools and spares*; firelighters; Meths for stove
Wildcat Tiger seat harness with Wildcat tapered dry bag: 2 sets spare socks; spare gloves; medium microfibre towel*; thermals for sleeping; PHD duvet; buff*.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

Excellent info thanks
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Consider the tarp and bivvy bag to be part of a system, A smaller tarp provides less cover from the elements and might require a heavier, waterproof, bivvy bag. Wind-blown rain can find its way round most tarp pitches. A larger tarp provides more cover and pitching options so you can get away with a much lighter bivvy bag - or not use one at all.

I was using a Siltarp 1 (1.5 x 2.4m) until recently, paired up with a Rab Event bivvy bag. I now have a Trekkertent DCF tarp (1.8 x 2.7m) and a TiGoat Kestrel. I shaved off quite a bit of weight and packsize with that relatively small increase in coverage (at a cost it has to be said).
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I started off with a 3x3 alpkit number but picked up a Rab siltarp1 for £24 in a sale almost 2 years ago and not bothered with the alpkit since.

The larger tarp can be rigged up more like a tent but to me this removes the ‘fun’ of a tarp (being exposed to the night sky) and I now pitch the smaller tarp in a flying whatever (vee?) config. I always twin it up with a bivvy bag (well I live in Scotland, it’s either too wet or the bloody midgies are out....)

As already worked out the 3x3 takes up a fair amount of (packed) space.

Gear wise (as per the other bags thread) I’m a convert to the harness/holster set up. As Backcountry.scot (the uk importer) is only a 45 minute drive away it’s no brainer that I favour Revelate gear. Wildcat is good kit too though.

Start with the basics and see how that goes. A seat pack/handlebar pack/toptube frame bag supplemented with a (small) rucksack will see you all right for your first half dozen outings. Workout if you need the other bits and bobs thereafter?
Give the dirt a little room.
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

Brilliant information thanks I'll probably sell the DD on and get something packing smaller. I have a military bivi bag which should do the job nicely even considering the AliExpress tents

I'm struggling with a sleeping bag I have a good summer bag and a Vango ultralite but its A older bag and packs quite large a d not really 3 season as such weight too... I was also looking at the AliExpress bags but not so sure of them

I live in the lakes so midges are a issue at times too
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

See the thread about Lakes temperatures for a sleeping bag/quilt discussion.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mitomaniac

Post by Mitomaniac »

whitestone wrote:See the thread about Lakes temperatures for a sleeping bag/quilt discussion.
On it thanks