keswick up to Skiddaw ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikerbill

keswick up to Skiddaw ?

Post by fatbikerbill »

When going up to Skiddaw House from keswick there are two bridleways, east & west of Glenderatera Beck.

Is one better for up & one better for down ?

I am planning going up at the weekend to Skiddaw House & the up the the summit & may be some other meanderings (hopefully), wither Ullock or over to Lingy Hut
whitestone

Re: keswick up to Skiddaw ?

Post by whitestone »

The one to the east is a land rover track as far as the beck, probably a push up to the other side from there. The one to the west is more technical and has a short rocky section that is best walked (there has been at least one MTB fatality at that point)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Going on the east of the beck is as Whitestone says an easygoing Land Rover track to the head of the valley, then a short just about rideable/push up to join the track that runs up the west side.
Getting onto that track from Keswick means going all the way out to Threlkeld and up the road past the FSC centre.
From the west you can go straight up a bridle way from Keswick to the Skiddaw car park. It's then a great Gide round to the head of the valley with a section that is very rocky and exposed - pant filling drop on one side, mountain on the other. It's only short though. In the 90's I lived at the FSC centre and could clean the rocky section on my old RockHopper. I'd practice a lot more caution these days :roll:
If pushed to say I'd go west on my way to Skiddaw House and east on the way back.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

cheers both.

Will try & take car !

Never ridden up Skiddaw so looking forward to it - views permitting !
Weather wise - it is looking like shorts & t-shirt weather
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

car ! - well I could take the 110 but think the fatty will be more fun.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Lingy Hut is well worth a visit, recently taken over by the MBA. There’s a bit of nice riding to the north, joining up with the road that encircles the back o’ Skidda. All other directions quickly turn very boggy. The Cumbrian Way is largely rideable, albeit rough in parts. It’s been very wet this last week so expect full rivers/bogs/puddles.