Tyvek insulation properties

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Tyvek insulation properties

Post by petemaz »

Strange one maybe, but does anyone know if a tyvek groundsheet offers any insulation when sleeping on cold ground?
RIP

Re: Tyvek insulation properties

Post by RIP »

All the best questions are strange :smile:. Unless you have some interesting bedding arrangements, presumably you'll have no insulating air trapped between the ground and the sheet or the sheet and your body so no help there. Can't see it doing much against conduction - it's usually 0.15mm thick so its R-value must be about 0.0000001. Unless you use Tyvek Thermawrap or Reflex.... My empirical view is that I have a tiny bit of tyvek to sit on to get dressed, and I can say that in winter my arse freezes within about a microsecond of sitting on it! Am interested in the full technical details from our chums here in the trade....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jay91

Post by jay91 »

My guess it not much or nothing at all
Trying to ride bikes.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-serv ... #Question5

Do Tyvek® weather barriers have an R-value?
No; however, properly installed Tyvek® weather barriers help protect against loss of R-value in insulation due to wind washing. Even at wind speeds of 5 mph, a wall without an air barrier retains less than 40% of its original installed R-values.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

congrats you just proved that if you have some insulation there already it can improve it
Unfortunately your question was about whether it insulates on its own not whether it can improve other insulators :wink:

I also go with none at all - have you see how thick it is not? What material, at that thickness and on the ground, would have an r value worth getting excited about ?

I have an off cut you can have but i am certain the padded envelope it would come in will be of more use
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks for the replies... confirms what I thought. So is there a cheap, lightweight, packs-small product of some sort that I can stick under my mat during the winter months to offer insulation from the cold? Current mat has an R rating of 4.4.

Thanks
RIP

Post by RIP »

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but isn't the mat doing that job admirably already with its R4.4? If you're tarp-only, reckon there's nowt wrong with a bit of tyvek/polycryo bunged down first to keep things clean and tidy though - but probably that's just me being needlessly house(tarp)-proud :smile:. I'll be taking a dustpan and brush with me next at this rate.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Well I bought the mat in the US last year and only used it a couple of times in early summer in the desert so I wasn't sure if it was up to a cold, Scottish winter! I've previously used a down exped mat that was great over winter, so I guess I was thinking I'd need some additional insulation...just in case!
RIP

Post by RIP »

"cold, Scottish winter". Insulation:

ImageSxRlicR by Reg, on Flickr

:-bd

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

American r values are 5 x the UK value so that r could well just be a summer mat with no insulation in it*

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ained-i206

Better mat being the solution there- i dont think anything else light weight will give a comparable r value to a winter sleeping mat and I don tthink there is another solution

I have seen folk use silver backed tyvek type liners and also what looked like silver and bubble wrapped - found it on a construction site so cannot advise on what it is or if it works but there are other materials - I suspect they will all be bulky though not that heavy.

*that said my winter insulated one only has a r value of 4,2 US and is fine - though I am not in Scotland temps
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've got a friend who does ultra running races, stuff like the spine challenge etc.
He tried making a DIY superlight mat out of bubble wrap, and tested it when we went bivvying in June.
He was bloomin' cold all night, and jacked it in to head home at about 4am.

So yeah, get a proper mat.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote:"cold, Scottish winter". Insulation:

ImageSxRlicR by Reg, on Flickr

Bowmore 15 works well, glendfibidlih will just keep you away while you ponder missed opportunities.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I know you said a Scottish winter but as you already have a Irish in there WHERES the teelings small batch ? :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tyvek will do nowt from an insulation point of view. Best light (but not overly small option) would be some thin foam used to insulate beneath laminate flooring.
May the bridges you burn light your way
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Ah, if only I liked whisky....lol. Thanks for the bit about difference between US and UK 'R' ratings, I didn't know that and seems very misleading. My current mat is a Klymit static V lite, which claims to be 4 season.... So suitable for winter camping in the UK?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A US R rating of over 4 should generally be fine for year round UK use.
May the bridges you burn light your way
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:A US R rating of over 4 should generally be fine for year round UK use.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

petemaz wrote:Ah, if only I liked whisky....lol. Thanks for the bit about difference between US and UK 'R' ratings, I didn't know that and seems very misleading. My current mat is a Klymit static V lite, which claims to be 4 season.... So suitable for winter camping in the UK?
I have the Klymit Ultralight V (insulated version r4.4 US, there is also a non insured one) which was fine on last years, admittedly boiling, winter event. There was ice on the ground in the morning so must have got pretty cold.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use a Synmat UL7 all year. I was out last night on frozen ground. R value (I assume US) is 3.1.

I've thought about using that thin foam used under laminate flooring as I have a chunk of it left over from insulating the van. I reckon I could get a 3/4 length part stashed in my harness quite easily. I've not "needed" it yet though :wink:
Al

Post by Al »

I’ve used similar stuff to this in cheap campervan conversations and ended up with off cuts - works really well as a sit mat or a boost for a thin sleeping mat for winter use. Weighs very little too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-thermawr ... lsrc=aw.ds
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Al wrote:I’ve used similar stuff to this in cheap campervan conversations and ended up with off cuts - works really well as a sit mat or a boost for a thin sleeping mat for winter use. Weighs very little too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-thermawr ... lsrc=aw.ds
Yeah - I make pot cosies/meal cosies out of that stuff and some duct tape. Great for keeping food warm when you're eating it or waiting for it to re-hydrate.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve used one of those car windscreen frost guards as an extra insulator under a mat. It works but is surprisingly bulky.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks for all the responses folks, much appreciated. I did think about the thermawrap stuff, so if I feel I need some extra insulation I might try and source some (cheaper than buying a new mat!).