Down tube bag/cage options sans bosses

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jamesh

Down tube bag/cage options sans bosses

Post by Jamesh »

My new bike is lacking down tube braze ons, so looking at bag or cage options to get around this.
Anyone have real life experience of the King Cage Many Thing using their universal support bolts?

Or bags along the lines of the offerings from Rogue Panda or Bedrock Bags, seen here - http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/bikepac ... sory-bags/

Seen various interesting options but all seem US based and haven't read much about them

Thanks is advance!
middleagedmadness

Re: Down tube bag/cage options sans bosses

Post by middleagedmadness »

Monkii cage and clips ,not sure if the clips open wide enough to go round a down tube though ,sure Stu can answer that if that's what your after
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a BeerBabe downtube bag - https://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/prod ... sizes.html Like you I was looking for a downtube bag, I emailed Rogue Panda and it was going to cost more to ship it than the unit cost :o I got mine just before Judy added them to the site so it's a different length (300mm) to those now on sale and from the description it seems like things have moved on a bit as there's a couple of new features.

Just be careful if you've suspension forks that you have enough room between tyre and downtube when the fork's fully compressed.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

thanks for the info.

Running 130 Pikes so for that reason was thinking small bag for repair kit purposes. That Rogue Panda bag looked ideal so happy to check out the Beerbabe bag
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

techno mail wrote:From Dr nick of this Parrish: https://backcountry.scot/product/dewidget-strap-deck/
Saw this yesterday on instagram, looks a neat product. Tempted to try it on a bottle boss for bulky items paired with a half frame bag.
By looks of it may be reluctant to use it on down tube without bolts, unless the whole unit is secure enough with voile straps
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I've used King USB's with the Blackburn anything cage equivalent on the forks of my Krampus. They work well. Solid connection and relatively neat as well.
Think they'd be fine on a downtube.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

lune ranger wrote:I've used King USB's with the Blackburn anything cage equivalent on the forks of my Krampus. They work well. Solid connection and relatively neat as well.
Think they'd be fine on a downtube.
Ah great, good to hear positive report on these as they are my next move.
Scud

Post by Scud »

All depends whether it is for regular use or not, for the odd trip as the main triangle on my fat bike is so small due to kinked top tube, i have attached a bottle cage underneath simply with about 10 wraps of electrical tape for a coastal bivvy and even with salt water it has stayed there fine, and that is with a bottle cage that takes a 2 litre shop bought water bottle so quite a bit of weight, i admit it doesn't look the best though
RIP

Post by RIP »

"it doesn't look the best though" - can't be any messier than my duct tape bottle cage! Then again, function over form. 13g cage plus a 14g 500ml plastic bottle (yes I do re-use it, a year so far). Oh, and 500g for the water of course :wink:. Never quite followed why "sports" water bottles are so over-engineered and heavy.

Image20181220_101410 by Reg, on Flickr
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
drjon

Post by drjon »

hey there! thanks for the mention!

Andy at https://backcountry.scot/product/dewidget-strap-deck/ has been using a Strap Deck with a strip of the grippy revelate frame saver tape on the frame and the voile straps around the downtime no problemo. its not as solid as using bosses, but it works...

2 sizes off strap decks are on his web shop now along with some other goodies like the DeWidget and feedbag adaptor.

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve used the older version of these - https://www.evanscycles.com/elite-vip-b ... s-EV242878 to mount a bottle cage lower than my bosses would allow.

They have coped with ~20,000km+ of off-road riding without any drama.