Bar ends on loops? How wrong is it?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Bar ends on loops? How wrong is it?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just how wrong is fitting some short bar ends to a pair of loops? Will I burn in Hell for eternity? Will kids throw stones at me as I ride past? Will they refuse to serve me in the Spar?
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Re: Bar ends on loops? How wrong is it?

Post by middleagedmadness »

Got ergon gs2 ithink ,on straight bars and yes kids thrown stones at me as I ride past , :lol: , how comfy would they be Stu with the way the bar sweeps back ,would it not put your wrists in a awkward position , only asking as now kids are sorted for Christmas I have the spare cash for my frame bag and was also looking at a set of riser loops
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

On the OP, very/yes/yes/if there's any justice in the world.
middleagedmadness wrote:...looking at a set of riser loops
Risers and bar ends? There are no words. :YMSICK: :YMSICK: :YMSICK:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

(Or, y'know, whatever's comfy. It'll probably be too dark to see 'em quite a lot of the time. Or they'll be covered in mud.)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Go for it :-bd I have 80,s style foam grips on my woodchippers wrapped with tape, wrong but works.
You might find humpet do suitably strange/ugly bars if you want to avoid DIY :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Can’t imagine how they would work on the ends, possibly stick out too much and catch on stuff?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Get some proper ski-bend types

Personally I can't see how the hand position would work. I think I'd feel my wrists were twisted too far outwards. Sort of the opposite of Loops/Woodchippers. But then I know some folk who like to steer a car by holding onto the lower half of the wheel....
landel

Post by landel »

I've Ergon GP3s with On-One OG bars. Worked perfectly well on the HT550 this year. The GP3s offer a lot of different positions for long days. Admittedly, I rarely get points for style :grin:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I found the bar end ergon grips very comfy, GP3s I think

Only problem was on tight tracks with brambles and similar they would hook on and it was murder!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I broke three ribs when some bar ends caught on a bush sending me crashing to the floor, the bars had only a small degree of backsweep. I wouldn't recommend it.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Unless you broke both wrists and the doctor was pissed when he set the bones...
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I can see it working if you run the loops vertically, like a chopper.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just how wrong is....?
never thought i would see the day that chef boner would ask if something was wrong.

surely, being on the fringe of cycling we can do as we please? :shock:
heck, might even start the next trend. :lol:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Well, if you're popping into Spar, they'll be reet grand for hanging you shopping bags on ;)

Disclaimer: I have a 29er with wide riser bars and bar ends - but I've never been accused of being trendy,
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

On the basis that it would send the denizens of STW into an apoplectic meltdown I'd say do it and post lots of pics :lol: Then again ...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Apologies, you're right ... it's a crap idea :roll:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

What about bar ends on drops? Or bar ends on bar ends?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I tried a specialized grip/bar end combo on my Jones loops once.
It wasn't a good combo, foliage that wouldn't usually cause a problem worked like an arrester hook!!

The extra hand positions that they offered were not worth the risk of being catapulted off..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
gairym

Post by gairym »

Charliecres wrote:What about bar ends on drops? Or bar ends on bar ends?

:shock:
BrokeBikeMountain

Post by BrokeBikeMountain »

Wouldn't you turn your arms inside out?

I've got Alpkit Confucious Bars with bar ends, and an extra light bar too.

Looks a horror show when there's no bags. Got some strange looks when I rode with Singletrack last week at Hebbers!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Isn't this how Butterfly Bars were invented? :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

all my bikes used to have them till bars got stupidly wide they dont work on proper wide ones

I used them on my confusious bars when bikepacking BUT the bar end has the tool kit and i like not having to dig for it. I honestly dont recall using them for hand position but i must have at some point.

As for looks never understood why anyone cares it not like you stare lovingly at your bike you just ride it and , on a ride, I am the person who should can ,, and does, see least of its looks. I I am stunned to hear two wheeled tramps care and I advise you to try it with some poggies then no one will know what you are up to and you can still look like one of the tribe
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As for looks never understood why anyone cares it not like you stare lovingly at your bike you just ride it and , on a ride, I am the person who should can ,, and does, see least of its looks. I I am stunned to hear two wheeled tramps care and I advise you to try it with some poggies then no one will know what you are up to and you can still look like one of the tribe
Yeah but doing it just felt wrong - a bar that already affords multiple hand positions, how could I ever think I'd need any more :wink:

After trying a pair of Crane Creek ends this afternoon, I can confirm that while it nearly works, there's just a bit too much backsweep. Could really do with some ends that are angled in slightly towards the centre. I often ride with my palms resting on the tips of the bar, so thought it'd be worth a go.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: After trying a pair of Crane Creek ends this afternoon, I can confirm that while it nearly works, there's just a bit too much backsweep. Could really do with some ends that are angled in slightly towards the centre. I often ride with my palms resting on the tips of the bar, so thought it'd be worth a go.
Seen a couple with bar ends on loops but... on the front loop, aero stylee, which of course is not what you mean at all!!

I kind of understand (I think) what you're trying to achieve though. Bar ends that are cranked at about the same angle (reversed) as the sweep of the bars, meaning they sit roughly parallel with the centre-line of the bike. Similar hand position while riding to Cane Creeks on flat bars?

As for catching on trees, wouldn't have thought that would be too much of a problem around your neck of the woods. Neck-high bracken in the summer though? Don't even think about the consequences!!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.