Spanish C2C 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Re: Spanish C2C 2019

Post by BigdummySteve »

Hmm... I just went by the 20Kg and size allowance. Why should it cost more just because it’s a bike?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm afraid all the major airlines consider bikes,golf clubs,surfboards etc as separate from a bag containing clothes and charge more for the privilege of the baggage handlers drop kicking it down the runway. If I were you I'd ring Ryanair and say you mistakenly booked a case instead of a bike and see if they'll just charge you the difference. I've flown with a bike everywhere from Alicante to Thessaloniki and always had to pay for it seperately. The airlines went through a phase of only letting you pack a bike in the box and shoes helmet etc had to be in a seperate case but this has softened recently.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Well called customer service this morning and asked the question, after a long pause (13p a min x( ) they came back and said it’s fine if it’s under 20Kg and within permitted dimensions. We’ll see.....

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That's good news, it begs the question why would they then have a specific bike charge where you're still only allowed 20kg without excess charges? They must rely on people like me worrying that they would refuse to take a bike any other way. I've sent you the route and other info by email. Let me know if you get any issues downloading it.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I was told the bike allowance was 30Kg, perhaps also they think most bikes will be unable to fit within the normal baggage size?

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Hope you recorded the call as in the bit I copied and pasted and posted on page 1, they clearly state ANY sports equipment weighing more than 20kg will be charged at the excess luggage rate which currently stands at £11 per kg. I was reading a post on the CTC forum that a guy who paid the £60 for a bike which weighed 30kg with his panniers and kit was charged an additional £100 at the airport for excess weight. Ryanair's T's & C's are a complete minefield and much is down to the mood you find them in when you rock up at the airport. Its a sub standard way to operate. One thing is crystal clear, don't go over 30kg total as the baggage handlers won't take it, bunch of snowflakes!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Yes their mood on the day very much Changes the outcome, I used to fly with skydiving equipment, once I had to wait while they phoned the captain for permission for me to board!

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Flying with your own parachute isn't a great vote of confidence in the pilot, perhaps he felt under pressure :grin:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@BDS - doubt you'll need the telemark and you'll probably find it easier to run with a tarp/bivvy combo or ul single skin given the places that we used on the first SC2C. That coupled with the climbing on the first couple of days to get away from the coast...you'll be happier shedding the lbs now rather than mailing them back.

Greetz

S.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Latest News! This year's C2C will feature an authentic Lonely Hearts Club with a meeting with the Caravan of Love! :-bd
No need to spend hours searching on El Tinder Jase when the Señoritas will be bussed in.
This World Service programme explains it all.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p072312m

☆some or all of this may be a lie

The programme also explains the rural depopulation that the area we are riding through experienced and the reason the area is called Spanish Lapland.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Scattamah wrote:@BDS - doubt you'll need the telemark and you'll probably find it easier to run with a tarp/bivvy combo or ul single skin given the places that we used on the first SC2C. That coupled with the climbing on the first couple of days to get away from the coast...you'll be happier shedding the lbs now rather than mailing them back.

Greetz

S.
Cheers Scot, how’s life back home, you’ve just missed the hottest February day on record :lol:

I was wondering about the telemark, it’s not too heavy at 950g and sometimes I use it without the inner, I’m not sure a bivvy+tarp is much lighter?

Is it a question of room for pitching? I’m not too keen to try a new shelter system on a long trip but if needs be I be more inclined towards a single skin tarp tent.

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bivi bag 160 g Steve and tarp is as light as you can afford ,think the 150g one off trekker tent is £150 ,Bivi bag worked out at £110 with customs charges but took 6 weeks to be made and arrive here ,with poles a pegs you'd probably be close to saving half a kilo
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@BDS...doin' ok...brutal schedule hasn't killed me yet. February was pretty close to 30 every day here if not hotter with 80% humidity. Bit of a shock to the system.

Re: SC2C...if I had my time again, I'd probably go with just a bivvy bag and the flimsiest of tarps rather than my Solplex. The only days it really came down on us we were under cover...towards the northern end of the ride. But at the southern and mid parts...dry weather was the norm. With the climbing early on, it's a ride where lighter is rather useful. Pretty sure all the setups on the first run were pretty light.

Greetz

S.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just remember not to pitch in top of a sprinkler that's timed to come on at 6am.
My plan is to carry a rig3.5 tarp bora bivvy exped downmat and alpkit quilt. If the weather gets biblical, there are options for solid shelter every night at nil or minimal cost. We are up at c:1,000 m for 3-4 nights so it can be chilly.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Those sprinklers :lol: when I heard them battering scott and jase was it,I thought it was p1ssing it down! I used rig3.5,Borah type bivi,sea 2 summit ultralight mat and a 150 quilt and a silk liner with no probs
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

As Mrs PB was away in Barcelona for the weekend, I took the opportunity to pack the bike and head off for an overnighter. Bivvy kit was spread all over the place so assembling it took ages. I decided to plan a route which took in a good chunk of Day 2 of the C2C and returned via an 80km trail along a tributary of the river Ebro. Dropped the dog at the kennels in Mora and picked up the route at Bot, scene of the eye socket bottle opening trick by Wotsits. So it was out to the Estret de Arnes canyon and Embalse de Pena then the town of Valderrobres to pick up the Matarranya trail. Plan was to get something to eat then ride a bit further to find a bivvy spot. Just as I was starting to worry as the sun had gone down and nothing had appeared, I came across a concrete building. It was a pig farm that had been built but never used and was perfect. Out came the mat, bivvy bag and quilt and a brew was made. Checked the phone signal and was amazed to get 4g so had the surreal experience of listening to Radio4 in the middle of nowhere in rural Spain as well as checking in with MrsPB. Chilly night ensued with several attempts to get the quilt to keep my back warm, needs a bit more work I think. 130km covered in first day.
Up early and back on with the meths stove for porridge and coffee then 10km ride to the nearest village for more coffee and donuts. Another 30km to a bigger place where I stocked up on bananas and chocolate croissants. End of the trail was still 50km from the finish and involved a 500m climb through the Terra Alta along a gravel road used in the Rally Cataluna. Arrived back at about 4pm with a total distance of 220km and 3,500m of climbing. Didn't see a single cloud in the 2 days!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Looks nice , eye socket bottle opening? I thought I was clever with my A4 sheet of paper bottle opening.

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Once seen never forgotten and referenced in Dave Barter's write up.
I hate to think of the other things that get opened with other orifices behind closed doors. Can you imagine the twinkle in his eye when handed a jar and asked “can you open this?” I’m never ever having ketchup from a bottle in Jase’s house.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I didn't see this when it was originally released but it's now available on YouTube. Worth a watch imo, those who have ridden the C2C will remember the breathtaking Burgos cathedral and some of the eccentric and generous characters we encountered on our trip. 3 weeks to go till this years trip, can't wait. https://youtu.be/OA6aq85WhXU (the link is to the English language film despite the title)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

:-bd That is all
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

How much confidence do you have in an over-the-horizon forecast like this? Having lived my life by daily forecasts for years, in the U.K. I rarely look more than 3 days in advance.

Still getting excited. I’m in the Lakes for a few days warm-up in not-so-warm conditions!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Fair comment Craig, a forecast this far out should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think it's fair to assume there will be a decent amount of sunshine during the week but I'd certainly not risk leaving a waterproof at home. One item that many needed on previous trips is lip salve, the sun and wind plays havoc. Also don't forget lights, if nothing else to use in the long disused railway tunnels on day 1 and 2.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Forecast for Tarragona on Friday has risen to 27° time to dig out the factor 50 methinks.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Should be a nice contrast to the WRT weather, although sunny during the day it dropped to -2 overnight. Our water bottles were like shushies.
Just packing the bike, glad my lad wanted an early finish it’s taken loads more time than I thought it would. Now on to clothing......I’ll be packing pretty light any tips on what not to leave out?

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Scott made a good call on the first trip, bringing white coolmax arm warmers as sun protection, although combined with white leg warmers made him look like a cross between Nora Batty and a refugee from a New Orleans mardi gras skeleton costume.
Layering is the key, merino vest and lightweight shorts should do for nightwear and chilly mornings, I'm bringing a couple of merino blend riding shirts, windproof gilet and 2 spare chamois shorts. We should get stuff washed about half way at an albergue. Light weight cap under helmet is good for avoiding comedy forehead tan lines. Flipflops or pumps are good to let riding shoes dry/air post ride. Good waterproof jacket as when it rains here it doesn't mess about. Towel as showers are available most nights. Couple of pairs of socks and a down gilet just in case.
Helmet is compulsory as I wont ride off road with anyone not wearing one, my skill set doesn't run to diy brain surgery.