2019 - what you got planned?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Re: 2019 - what you got planned?

Post by faustus »

Aside from getting out as much as work and a baby will allow, definitely doing Trans-Cambrian when the weather is a bit better and it's lighter. May also do some Audax, but probably just some long rides I make up myself. Been considering BAM as a way of getting myself out each month too, will see.

Just got a new shed so i'll be just as happy tinkering in there and installing a little stove and doing some mindful tinkering and stuff.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My list so far

Bigbear
Braunton 150
HT550
Jenride
SD300
SDW double
BB300

Quite few of them are early in the year so it may depend on dates as to whether I can fit them all in. Living on an Island means that lot will cost about £500 in ferry tickets to get to as well :shock:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Only thing planned is the BB Winter Event...

Life has been hard going recently which has had a serious impact on the amount and quality of the riding I have done this year, especially more recently.

I am hoping that 2019 brings a serious change of direction for me, which will be designed to stop me feeling like I am wasting my life doing something I don't enjoy for an organisation I cannot abide...

I intend to partake in the full BB 2019 program and have a stab at BAM. I also need to invent some rides of my own and get creative. I do have Dartmoor on my doorstep after all!

Si
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Si give me a shout when you are venturing onto Dartmoor as I am in a similar place motivation-wise at the moment and need a break from the waves of bad news that just keep rolling in.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

jay91 wrote:Less work more riding
Easier said than done :|
Likewise, lacking motivation but going to try BAM, Ride to the Sun and maybe the Cairngorms loop.
Saying it might even make it happen :wink:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Dave Barter wrote:Si give me a shout when you are venturing onto Dartmoor as I am in a similar place motivation-wise at the moment and need a break from the waves of bad news that just keep rolling in.
Will do Dave,
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Gravel tour (309 miles) in the Borders late March
Ride to the sun as did it a few years back and enjoyed it
Something in July for my 50th*

That's all so far

I've decided I'm priced out of events now so mostly just being a loner as usual :)

*may also buy myself a new bike
Loki

Post by Loki »

I have hardly ridden for the last 12 months so I am very out of shape, unless you count round as a shape, work has been a pain in the arse and scuppered all my plans, so 2019 goals.

1.Ride lots
2.BAM
3.Go camping with the missus more
4.Take a 3-5 day trip to france on the bike, hopefully Brittany area
5.Twentyfour12 again
6.Bivvy trips to Dartmoor.
7.Replace my Genesis Fugio
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
RIP

Post by RIP »

... to commence my seventh decade, apprehensively but with hope, and pray to the Great Bear In The Sky that, along with the other ups/downs/hopes/fears/joy/tears of family life, I can still be riding & bivvying, with some good people off Here, (*) at the end of it. And to ensure I don't take Stu, and Dee's, efforts for us for granted. The bloke saved my life. Not physically but I know what I mean.

(*) Apologies, comma overload.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

RIP wrote:... to commence my seventh decade, apprehensively but with hope, and pray to the Great Bear In The Sky that, along with the other ups/downs/hopes/fears/joy/tears of family life, I can still be riding & bivvying, with some good people off Here, (*) at the end of it.

(*) Apologies, comma overload.
Well if that's what a vegetarian diet does for you reg I may consider it myself ,I only put at the start of your 6th decade :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Rather than my food preferences I think I'll put it down to the fact that, mentally, I haven't progressed beyond my first decade :lol:. Plus a healthy acknowledgment and interest in the absurdities, eccentricities, and lunacies of people and the world in general! Hoping for more examples of all three next weekend :-bd.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

gairym

Post by gairym »

My two main 2019 plans are not bike related.

- Stop being such a useless fat git and sort my waistline out!

- Run, run, run and then run some more. A mate has challenged himself (and included me) to run 40 miles on his 40th birthday at the end of October. No small ask :shock:

On the bike:

- Lots of snowy fatbiking over the winter.

- Then lots of little trips and long day rides once the sun returns.

- Maybe something in Morocco in June.

- a TMB at some point as I've not done it for a couple of years now.

- BB200 as I'm missing the challenge and self-torture element of bikepacking these days.

But.....mostly it's about not allowing my greed to dictate my ability when it comes to diet and gut diameter!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I really don't know at the moment. Was supposed to be my peak year before backing off the training and concentrating on putting on muscle rather than being a horrible scrawny cyclist. :lol:

Problem is, I still don't really know what the hell my body is doing after being sick... and it looks like I didn't get into the Highland Trail anyway, so everything is a bit up in the air.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Feel for y'there Rich :sad:. Not pleasant. If you're in for WE, maybe that'd ease you into '19 with its no-pressure conviviality...

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Hopefully it wont be too depressing being the last up hills for the first time in four years. :???:
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

main goal for 2019 is the Larig Ghru Hill race.

Many years ive liked the concept but never thought id get into a shape i could do it - ive never been a runner.

its a possible dream right now if i get an entry.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Nothing planned but hope to get some stuff done!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Richard G wrote:and it looks like I didn't get into the Highland Trail anyway, so everything is a bit up in the air.
Don't give up hope just yet, there will be a reserve list and some of those currently in are bound to drop out. Put in a good performance somewhere before May and you might still get in, obviously getting well again should be the first priority.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Richard G wrote:Hopefully it wont be too depressing being the last up hills for the first time in four years. :???:
Don’t worry, I’m coming :-bd (*)

* along ( slowly)
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

What's yer London jape tonight then Stevo? (I know it's not 2019, sorry). Just noticed the total of site posts (before this one ;-)) is 166666. Must mean something worrying but no idea what - "next post is 166667" perhaps?
Last edited by RIP on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote:... to commence my seventh decade, apprehensively but with hope, and pray to the Great Bear In The Sky that, along with the other ups/downs/hopes/fears/joy/tears of family life, I can still be riding & bivvying, with some good people off Here, (*) at the end of it.
Well, shall we pencil a ride in for 2028 Reg?!? :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:. Still trying to pull my finger out to get over to FoD next year...

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote::smile:. Still trying to pull my finger out to get over to FoD next year...
If you're riding anywhere near those Forest types I'd leave it in.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: (present company definitely excepted obviously!)

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In order of priority but not timeline (I think).

1. 86 miler one way commute to Scarborough and then do at least a quarter of a nursing shift!! This would nab me an unofficial record of the longest 1 way commute.train back off course and so far I've managed a max 60 or 65 of this for one reason or another.

2. A charity race (unofficial but making it a race ensures it doesnt get boring) of 220 miles with around 10000ft elevation and cut off time of 24H... Starts from one end of the country (not yet confirmed) and ends at another (not yet confirmed)... I normally run it (only been done once before) and have strict rules such as 'no drafting' and no lycra on show (as such none of the roadies and most of my friends dont like me!!)... Called the Khalid Bin Walid Challenge and around 7 of us will hopefully raise a minimum of £750 each for a chosen 'most needy' chsirty with 100% donation policies.

3. Hopefully an Everesting of I'm not sure which hill (again most likely for charity.

4. Lots of mtbingand once I've hit 1000 miles mtb on Stan (carb Sonder Transmitter with the Trav Prongs) I may treat him to some shocks!

5. At least 2 rides from Dewsbury to LadyPool Cycles (just ti say hello) which would be around 120 miles and hopefully a prebooked supercheap train back... Through the Peaks and happy for anyone to join me if they not gonna get annoyed at my slowish (I do try to go fast as poss) pace..

6. As much commuting as possible on the bike as well as another 15 of the 100 climbs from that famous book.

7. A Rapha500 but not by that name. Doing the Decmber one at end of this year for a human rights (Cage) charity which starts from Dews to Nottingham to Derby to Peterboro and ending in Slough for the 30th I think... 313 miles covered in total and hopefully (God Willing) wont have frozen to death...

8. Erm... The Braunton 150 (but I dont wanna die :geek: :cry: )

Is that too long a list!!