Smartphone mapping / bike computer sync

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jonathan

Smartphone mapping / bike computer sync

Post by Jonathan »

Forgive the clumsy title. I’ve always fancied a gps unit with full OS mapping but don’t want to spend the money required or replicate what my phone already does. What I want is a bike computer that has simple navigation, either inbuilt or pared to my phone, that’s suitable for offroad use. If the simple nav setup gets hard to follow at, say, difficult junctions, I could just get my phone out to look at the OS mapping. This means I don’t need my expensive phone on the handlebars and it’s battery will last longer because the screen will mostly be off.

I’m not sure that makes sense but if it does, does anyone know of anything suitable.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Smartphone mapping / bike computer sync

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does the Garmin Edge 200 has a breadcrumb trail? If so, that'd possibly do the job ... as you say, may need to get the phone out to double check at times.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Wahoo element or bolt. Very easy to set up and load gpx, or do point to point on the fly. Quite basic maps but obviously not cluttered either. Not great if you want to just follow your nose or pan about but then you have your phone with something like back country navigator for that. Using ride with GPS the routes will have built in cues on road or on some bridleways or if all off road you can add them yourself.

Good battery life and will run from a USB battery pack if you need exended run time.

Uses a mount just like Garmin edges (just turn 90 degrees and cut a sliver from one of the notches and they fit).
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Yep my 200 has a breadcrumb trail it's ok for a general heading anything more I use my etrex,the new 25 does as well
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I may have a 200 in a drawer somewhere. If interested I’ll post it you for a few beer tokens
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Mike

Post by Mike »

Had a garmin 62s for years now and it's by far the most used bit of kit and well worth every pound it cost!!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Have you considered a second, cheap smartphone to use solely as a GPS device? Far cheaper than a GPS and will give you OS mapping (though you'll have to pay for the mapping), or free if you have an old phone. This is what I do. I use the Viewranger app, a waterproof case, and one of those silicone "elastic band" bar mounts.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

thenorthwind wrote:Have you considered a second, cheap smartphone to use solely as a GPS device? Far cheaper than a GPS and will give you OS mapping (though you'll have to pay for the mapping), or free if you have an old phone. This is what I do. I use the Viewranger app, a waterproof case, and one of those silicone "elastic band" bar mounts.
Pretty much what I do for trips, with an old smart phone. I know I keep saying it on these threads,but if on android the Maverick GPS app is free and caches OS maps at 1:50k & 1:25k free as well as other map bases.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

If the suggestions above don't work for you, then have a look at the new Lezyne models - I've got the slightly larger XL (the smaller one has a colour screen).
It works with a phone app and tcx routes. On your phone or PC you download offline map sections and save to the device I grabbed the whole of the Lakes and the process took 5 mins). This then gives basic black and white lines showing roads and trails, with an arrow showing your position. My screen covers about 1Km2, but you can't zoom in/out like on my Garmin etrex20 (which has full OS). The Lezyne though has a rechargeable battery with a claimed 48hr life, which having had an earlier model, I have no reason to doubt - 16 hours out in the cold around Aviemore recently took under 40% of its battery. Almost all of the trails we used were shown too.
With phone signal, you can use online maps on the phone to create routes and bluetooth to the device, or transfer prepared or downloaded tcx routes from the phone. To follow these routes you need to have your phone on running bluetooth (no signal required), but it can be tucked away safely and with nothing else running it doesn't use much battery.
The screen mapping is basic - no contours/elevation - but allows you to see whether you are following a route. As you say, if it gets unclear, you get out a proper map, or OS on the phone. When you're not using it to navigate, it'll record pretty much any data you want it to, including live starve if that's your poison. It'll also show comms on the screen - SMS, email, call register, social etc - but this can be turned off. A lot cheaper than alternatives with 'proper' mapping and it has fantastic battery life and very secure mount.