Highland Trail 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: Highland Trail 2019

Post by GregMay »

I crossed at the GPX in 2013, it was below knee. It was warm too.
Mart

Post by Mart »

OK so I scratched earlier today but not a hard decision for me personally it’s was a combination of both weather, ankle and saddle.

Wednesday saw me enter fisherfield, it had been raining hard the night before and it continued through the day (with a few isolated breaks).
The downhills saw the little streams that cross the path become very full and where you should just ride through them, not so given the volume of water now rushing down.
So I descended by getting off the bike to step across, couldn’t see the stones underneath as the water flowed too fast and foamy.

The Strath na Sealga when I got there was to top of my thigh but very powerful, it nearly took me and the bike.

The elements sapped my strength for the rest of the day and i was crackered when I reached Carnmore bothy

It continued to rain hard all night, and although still raining in the morning it was much lighter. This morning I had to wade the stream to get over to the path that goes up and over to Letterewe house. it was above knee height but the water was moving the stones in the riverbed, such was the force

It was at this point i said enough - just to get to that point was too much risk, and i didn’t fancy my chances in the gully on the posties path, and the other streams that come down the side of Sloich.

Routed to Poolewe and discovered my saddle has split across at the nose (I believe others with a Brooks Cambium have had the same issue)
The ankle I’ve been nursing for the last 4 days when I had cleat plate issues at Loch Vaich. After 10hrs riding it would balloon up, but was manageable with some ibuprofen overnight. Stiff as hell now I’ve stopped.

Am I disappointed - No. I think I made the right call at the right time given the conditions. I believe Matt McWhirr who a few hrs behind and was catching me up didn’t make it across the Strath and headed back from Sheneval

Edit : I had an ace time - hard work but just loved getting up and riding every day taking whatever comes your way.
2924 miles per Gallon
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well done Mart. To quote Don Whillans: "The mountains will always be here. The trick is, to make sure you are."

It's very easy to sit behind a keyboard with the sun shining outside and pontificate about what's going on several hundred miles away. On the Cairngorm Loop a couple of years ago, burns that normally don't figure in any accounts were raging torrents. Unless you were there you'd never know.

Hope your ankle eases and you get back safe.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Very well done Mart. :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Well done Mart. The risk assessment is an essential element of a big solo ride - and only you know what is right or not for you. You made the right call! Hope you are still up there to say hello!

And, you have given the group start riders good info about the conditions - I have now packed plastic bags for my feet and armbands......
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done Mart: amazing effort and good call to get back to safety after all of that (and what lies ahead)... :-bd

(Dont overdo it (like Lee Craigie did when she was in the US) with the ibuprofen and see if you can mix and match eith some other pain relief as well as using a bit of ice/cold water on the inflamed parts when you can!...)
touch

Post by touch »

Well done Mart, really great effort!

Looks like Steve has timed his run perfectly, I'm predicting he'll be back in Tyndrum for around 6pm this evening. Right into the middle of all the group start excitement.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Does anyone have a Spot going spare? I loaned mine out to ‘one of the Belgians’ (Alan’s words) as he’d forgotten his.

However, the guy I’m bringing up has found out this morning that his is totally dead and won’t power from batteries or USB. Had I not loaned mine out he’d be using it.
landel

Post by landel »

Richard G wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 am When I come to do it I'm going to have to know where all the bothy / B&B options are in advance. I wont get through 6 or 7 days without sleep, and I very much doubt I'll have learned how to sleep outdoors by then.
I have the same as problem you. Can’t sleep in a bivi or tent..... but I did the HT550 last year. Stayed in bivi every night. Tossed and turned every night for a few hours maybe
got 1.5hrs sleep absolute max any night. You can do it. You’re still resting, obviously not as good as proper sleep. Just keep ploughing on :-bd Strange thing is I slept perfectly in my bivi at By The Way the night I finished even while being eaten by midges. Guess I was finally able to switch off!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

AlasdairMc wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:57 pm Does anyone have a Spot going spare? I loaned mine out to ‘one of the Belgians’ (Alan’s words) as he’d forgotten his.

However, the guy I’m bringing up has found out this morning that his is totally dead and won’t power from batteries or USB. Had I not loaned mine out he’d be using it.
Should be one arriving this evening?
Might be worth asking.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Well done Mart, sounds like a good effort and a good decision.
Try arnica cream instead of ibuprofen - it really is miracle stuff and much kinder to the body. You can literally see the swelling go down after you apply it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

landel wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:29 pm I have the same as problem you. Can’t sleep in a bivi or tent..... but I did the HT550 last year. Stayed in bivi every night. Tossed and turned every night for a few hours maybe
got 1.5hrs sleep absolute max any night. You can do it. You’re still resting, obviously not as good as proper sleep. Just keep ploughing on :-bd Strange thing is I slept perfectly in my bivi at By The Way the night I finished even while being eaten by midges. Guess I was finally able to switch off!
I'm ruined by the third day, and barely conscious by the fourth. I wouldn't even like to think how slow I'd be at that point!
landel

Post by landel »

Yep I was moving pretty slowly by the end alright but it was worth it :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good luck all :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mart

Post by Mart »

AlasdairMc wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:57 pm Does anyone have a Spot going spare? I loaned mine out to ‘one of the Belgians’ (Alan’s words) as he’d forgotten his.

Bugger - If I had known sooner could left my inreach for them
2924 miles per Gallon
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

No worries Mart - now sorted.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Liam and Ben in the zigzags before 5pm. Some decent riding right there.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Agree. Rich not far behind them. Hoping this doesn't result in a massive kaboom moment.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Pretty hot pace that is
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Some strong riding by all concerned. Interested to see if anyone is going to try and pull a very late night to try and get the jump.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just got back from a walk bagging some Munros. It's effing grim up high with driving rain. Not too bad out of the wind but as soon as you step out of shelter it's going through everything.

Not sure what Phil Clarke is up to, he said he was going to go steady!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
DaveJo

Post by DaveJo »

I was expected Lee and Jenny to be together, but Lee isn't messing about.
It's all about the journey
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Further North it’s been absolutely pissing it down until a couple of hours ago, so trails might be soggy.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Javi going a good pace on SS :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
touch

Post by touch »

Pizza place is popular tonight.