Highland Trail 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

Re: Highland Trail 2019

Post by padonbike »

Thanks ....thought you would know.
Can see how I would have missed it from OS as just off track. Won’t miss it in future :grin:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

The one I’m thinking of isn’t on that list. It’s an open shelter and nothing else, but it has a spectacular view across the loch. If I can find a picture I’ll share it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

AlasdairMc wrote:
The one I’m thinking of isn’t on that list. It’s an open shelter and nothing else, but it has a spectacular view across the loch. If I can find a picture I’ll share it.
Good one - last time I did actually think about getting a key for the toilets in case I was caught short along that section but as usual forgot near to the time.... I've both time intended to bivvy along the GGW but never got there at a suitable time (too slow then too fast!) will make more of an effort this time (if I get that far...)
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

With this year's group start just a month away I thought here would be a good place to organize ride sharing to Tyndrum.
I'll be driving up from the Lakes on Thursday morning, passing Glasgow airport around 10 am if anyone is arriving there that morning or staying at an airport hotel.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm coming from Edinburgh at some point on Thursday with one other, and I can take two more.

Staying at the Pinetrees as I couldn't get a space at By The Way.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

AlasdairMc wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:59 pm
Staying at the Pinetrees as I couldn't get a space at By The Way.
I'm at Pinetrees also as I left it too late to get into By The Way as well. Last year I was very nervous about the ride so planned everything very far in advance, I had the 4 person chalet at BTW booked before Christmas :lol: I'm a bit more relaxed about it now I'm a veteran :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:40 pm I'm a bit more relaxed about it now I'm a veteran :smile:
Famous last words there ;)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

GregMay wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:13 pm
sean_iow wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:40 pm I'm a bit more relaxed about it now I'm a veteran :smile:
Famous last words there ;)
I only said I was a bit more relaxed, but it wouldn't be possible to be any less relaxed than I was last year :wink:

I'm really looking forward to it, especially now I've ridden it once. I was chatting to Alan G about it on the Dales Divide. The HT550 and the aspiration of getting a place on the group start was the motivation for the events I did before it, and the other rides I put on my entry. Last year I really felt the responsibility to finish as I didn't want to have taken a place someone else could have had and then not make it round. This year I've only got the weight of my own expectations to manage :wink:
Mart

Post by Mart »

By the Way let you leave your car - Just got mine booked in for £10 (im going earlier than you lot)
2924 miles per Gallon
postierich

Post by postierich »

Planning on leaving the van in By The Way as there is a new diner now next to the Fish and Chip place so spaces will be limited in the public car park!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Long range forecast looking far too good, I've been hoping for a proper wet one this year!
Some ITT's kicking off this week I believe
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

postierich wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:44 pm Planning on leaving the van in By The Way as there is a new diner now next to the Fish and Chip place so spaces will be limited in the public car park!
Thanks for the tip. I’ll therefore drop mine off in the public car park some time on the Friday so it isn’t panic stations on the Saturday morning.

Do you think the new diner will be able to serve up bacon rolls in less than 40 minutes?
postierich

Post by postierich »

Is there a Facebook event page?

If not should I set one up so people an arrange lifts accommodation shares

Rich
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Weather looking good for the next two weeks in the north west so should be on course for a total deluge the week after :-bd
My prep has been totally casual (i.e. p*s* poor) so feeling pretty relaxed about the whole thing. Looks like 60 at the start line which is the most of any year!

My goals are:
Don't pay for any digs
Ride all the descents
Drink plenty of beer
Sleep a lot
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’m not starting this year. Fitness isn’t where I need it to be, but I’ll be along for the start as I’m bringing someone up.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

If anyone from this parish is riding, and uses Twitter, ping the account so I can add you to it.

#gregmademedoit
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I am on twitter but I never tweet, I don't think I have anything to say that people would be interested to hear*, but perhaps now would be a good time to start.

You'll have to explain how to ping your account though, sorry :oops:

*my wife would say that applies whenever I speak.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Send a message and include @ht_550 in the content.

It's more to be able to attach a name/face to any person who does something interesting :)
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

My preparation has been terrible with illness this year - and then I crashed on Sunday and sprained my ankle :oops:

Seems to be improving fairly rapidly - no really bad bruising - but I'd say I'm 50/50 for a start, and less than that for a completion in the time I have (need to drive back south on Friday...) :cry:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Looks like Martin brown is ready for his itt
http://trackleaders.com/highland19i.php ... rtin_Brown

Go mart :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ianpv wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:15 pm My preparation has been terrible with illness this year - and then I crashed on Sunday and sprained my ankle :oops:

Seems to be improving fairly rapidly - no really bad bruising - but I'd say I'm 50/50 for a start, and less than that for a completion in the time I have (need to drive back south on Friday...) :cry:
Sorry to hear that Ian - there is still a week and a half to go and don't underestimate the power of pain killers!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jay91 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 pm Looks like Martin brown is ready for his itt
http://trackleaders.com/highland19i.php ... rtin_Brown

Go mart :-bd
Looks like Mart is on his way, started at 07:00 this morning which gives and extra two hours over the GD for the first leg to FA so should be there in plenty of time for pizza :smile:
ianpv wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:15 pm My preparation has been terrible with illness this year - and then I crashed on Sunday and sprained my ankle :oops:

Remember, glass half full Ian :smile: You had the speed for a completion on time based on your riding speed at the B150 but too much vitamin I just upset the stomach? You should at least start as it's not until Oykel Bridge that you'd need to decide if you are on schedule before heading round the northern loop? Or make a decision after the northern loop?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Long range forecast = cold, breezy and dreich....
Trails should be pretty dry though. Marts got the right idea going now :-bd
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Anyone using Inreach or is all SPOT trackers?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Mariner wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:51 pm Anyone using Inreach or is all SPOT trackers?
I'm using InReach Mini