Stans in very wet conditions.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gummikuh

Stans in very wet conditions.

Post by Gummikuh »

Hi All.

OK, after completing this years BB200, I've finally recovered enough to have a thought about what worked and what didn't.
I suffered with a constantly flat back tyre, tubeless Schwalbe on DT Swiss rim, I think the sealant was just constantly being washed away or unable to congeal, I was having to pump every twenty minutes, on getting back to the community centre and after eating the bacon sandwich the front tyre had also finally given up.
Has anyone else had this and tried a different sealant? or would adding glitter been of any use? I was too exhausted to put the tube in and as it was the last bit through the forest, I just took it easy.
I have Jones loops and really like them, but would like to add extensions, not on the ends but inboard of the levers, does anyone know of bar ends that are short with quite a sharp angle that might work, even better if they could be two piece and fit inside the loop?

My shins are still showing the damage the river crossings did, shoes with cleats are useless!

Pete
sean_iow

Re: Stans in very wet conditions.

Post by sean_iow »

I didn't have any issues with my tyres, Michelin tyres, stans rims and stans sealant. I always top up the sealant before a big event to make sure there is plenty in there.

I can't think why the water would affect the sealant, it's on the inside of the tyre and the water is on the outside. When I take my tyres off the sealant has coated the inside surface. Was your sealant just old or not enough to cope with the number of punctures? I pulled a few bits of thorn out of my tyres over the course of the day.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I've had an issue where Stans wouldn't seal in the wet. Another racer that day mentioned they too had had issue in the past with water and Stans...as they left me in the middle of nowhere to sort it. :) Something about the liquid latex not liking to bind to wet rubber.

Greetz

S.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Stans is water based though? When I add more to my tyres I rinse any bits in the bottom of the scoop I've measured the stans into with a drop of water and put that in the tyre as well. When I seat tyres I also spray loads of soapy water around the bead and rim and the stans still seals.

Javi had tyre issues on the BB300 but I don't know what make of tyre he had.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Looks like a case of simply not enough sealant in there.

I’ve had this problem, tyre needing pumping up after a day.

Put more sealant in. Bingo !

Problem solved.

Have you tried this yet ?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i think just more sealant added before any event and remember it only lasts three months and the race stuff is even less.
I cannot see how a wet ride can alter the tyre - if its sealed it sealed and if air is not getting out then water is not getting in - and remember the tyre has a positive pressure to the air outside so that makes it even harder to get in.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

My stans race wouldn't seal on the BB300, though that was on a sidewall puncture (which I sealed with a plug) which is always more difficult.

Made for a miserable last 10 hours.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

It may have been a case of not enough, but it was topped up before the event.
Its sorted now, once the bike was dry it sealed no problem.

Just wanted to know if any others have tried something different?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Use Conti Revo.

Seals much more reliable, seals larger tears/cuts/holes and last longer than Stans.

Probably also tastes better than Stans...