Winter Gloves

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Winter Gloves

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Skytec argons for a fiver from screwfix as mentioned above are far better than many an expensive glove I've tried! :-bd
If I'm not sporting yellow marigolds, I'll usually use these. Discovered them a few years ago and never looked back. Used Glacier gloves before but after tearing 2 pairs I gave up.

If it's very cold / wet I'll go the pogie route as Colin suggests.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Mention of Lomo on another thread took me over there and I see they do winter gloves for £13. Could be worth a gamble.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Skytec argons for a fiver from screwfix as mentioned above are far better than many an expensive glove I've tried! :-bd
If I'm not sporting yellow marigolds, I'll usually use these. Discovered them a few years ago and never looked back. Used Glacier gloves before but after tearing 2 pairs I gave up.

If it's very cold / wet I'll go the pogie route as Colin suggests.
Yeah, I wondered why one hand was cold on BB300 and spotted the tear when I turned them inside out to dry them. :lol:
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Like many others I have tried countless gloves and my one piece of advice is never ever buy a glove made from 2 or more layers of material down together. They always turn into a nightmare if you ever take them off once wet.

Separate layers are the answer so i use a mongrel version of the dissent 133 system

Inner glove - lightest, thinnest work gloves I can find. They look like a very thin version of the Skytec argons mentioned above. I use Honeywell work easy ones at the moment but the same glove is available under other names. At less than £2 they can be replaced if you end up using them for some oily mangled chain disaster. I often carry a second pair so I have some dry ones if it's wet. At 25g it's worth the weight

On top if cold, a thin softshell lobster style windproof lobster glove. I use some German ones with a strange name that escapes me at the moment

On top of inner glove if wet I use extremities tuffbags

If it is wet and cold I wear all three.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Only problem with mitts is that I like to one finger brake and it makes that tricky
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'm a fan of neoprene for winter. You don't lose the ability to feel or grip through them in the way you can do through an equivalently weather-proof fabric glove.

Something like the Endura FS260 Nemo gloves are good for 5-7 deg if dry-ish but need something over the top to keep wind off if it's wet and cold. Buffalo mitts look ideal apart from the lack of brake finger.

I have something like this for proper cold rides - diver's mitts. Not had cold fingers yet even on 5hr+ sleet/snow kind of grim road rides. Lobster gloves do seem to be warmer than 4-finger designs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/391913850801?c ... 0884074993
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Weren't you using sniper mitts a while ago James?
May the bridges you burn light your way
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

OK - so I commute to work in Norway by bicycle and we have proper winters here, but also have more clod and wet days than full on cold and dry. As you all know, cold and wet is the worst possible combination for gloves to have to protect again. So what do I use for winter:

My go to gloves (the ones I use last night at just above freezing, and every commute since September) are only £7.99 out of sale times (picked up several pairs in one of the sales for £4.99 a pop https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULRA ... aix-gloves

I love these gloves, not because they are warm (they are not warm) or waterproof (no, not waterproof either) what the do excell at is dexterity, comfort (they fit me like umm.. a glove), cheap, last ages, can use my phone, dry fast in work, thin enough to be a liner in other gloves, more than warn enough for 90% of my commutes etc.

I have become accustomed to wet hands whilst cycling and TBH expect it, but can put up with it as long as I have the dexterity to control my bike and the wind is kept out, then all is good.

When its around zero and raining (yes we get a lot of that too) then I move up to these: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULWB ... ock-gloves

Again, same reasons as above, will get wet but block the wind and that (for me) is the important bit. Soggy wet hands that are not frozen and can fell the bars (dexterity) is way more preferable to clammy warm hands and zero dexterity of most (well, all of the waterproof insulated) gloves, I have tried.

In full on winter, (-15 etc) it cold enough to be dry and then my ski gloves come out.

We are all different but the 2 gloves above are cheap and IMHO rather nice gloves.
techno

Post by techno »

Just ordered a set of these, will report back once I've tried them out
https://www.tweekscycles.com/hirzl-fing ... s-1004176/
jameso

Post by jameso »

Weren't you using sniper mitts a while ago James?
Yes, would still be using them if I could get them in a more suitable material. The ones I have are cotton + pile army issues from ebay, £7 I think. I waxed the cotton well but they still wet out and get heavy - though not cold. The wind-proof outer / pile liner / 3-finger combo is a winner. I want a Buffalo 3-finger glove.