Dynamo lights

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Dynamo lights

Post by Mike »

So I need to get a light n charging system. The two I'm considering are the new revo with a sinewave or the self contained beacon both are about 800 lumens. I don't want the k lite as too many wires for my liking. However the revo will need a switch in the system if I want to run the charger alongside the light. Or should I just unplug the light and plug the charger in as a nd when I require. Hmm not sure which to go with. But I like the look of the revo more as it is machined the beacon looks like it's been made from odds n sods :)
ianfitz

Re: Dynamo lights

Post by ianfitz »

I have the old revo and an Igaro with a switch. You’re welcome to have a look if you are up here some time.

Still a few cables around but easily fit in a top tube mounted bag with plenty of room to spare.

One advantage of the Igaro is two usb outputs. It will put 500mah from both at about 20-23kmh and above. One from about 10-11
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

guy at work uses the revo and a dynamo and raves about it - not sure how he wires it and he is not in today
Not used one myself but I do like the support of exposure - though there helmet mount is ludicrously overpriced for a piece of flimsy and brittle plastic*

* guess whose helmet fell of a chair and broke his helmet mount this week
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have the same set up as Ian. It's spot on except in one aspect. At low speed off road, climbing or pushing or simply slow muddy stuff the light output is too low for me. This is easily rectified with a helmet mounted light such as a Joystick.
I really like the idea of the battery boost option on the Beacon to keep the light output up at low speed but haven't seen it in use.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

lune ranger wrote:I have the same set up as Ian. It's spot on except in one aspect. At low speed off road, climbing or pushing or simply slow muddy stuff the light output is too low for me. This is easily rectified with a helmet mounted light such as a Joystick.
I really like the idea of the battery boost option on the Beacon to keep the light output up at low speed but haven't seen it in use.
That’s a good point. Often the lower speed requires less light anyway but I find a joystick, usually on the lowest setting, enough in the situation.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Mike the beacon may not be as pretty but the battery support option is a very nice option as it takes over duties when climbing etc, also it has ahigh/low switching when connected to a battery to manage power usage, also it has proper charging. The new klite system does away with the external box and wires, if your only using the light it’s one wire I believe, with their top cap switch you could have a very neat system with the charger in a frame bag.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mike

Post by Mike »

I think the wires on the klite system are too flimsy for my liking. I like the fact that it's brighter but I guess I have my headlight for that.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

lune ranger wrote:I have the same set up as Ian. It's spot on except in one aspect. At low speed off road, climbing or pushing or simply slow muddy stuff the light output is too low for me.
Sounds like every dynamo light I’ve ever calms across! Always have a helmet light to provide extra light, and redundancy for when the dynamo gives up... I’m not saying it will, but there is too high a probability to rely on it entirely.
Mike wrote:I think the wires on the klite system are too flimsy for my liking. I like the fact that it's brighter but I guess I have my headlight for that.
I have the original Klite, and I know what you mean - it is a bit cluttered, but it has taken two ‘hard stops’ without damaging the light system (the dynamo plug-in is a bit more vulnerable, but that’s not Klite)