Aiguille bikepacking kit

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Aiguille bikepacking kit

Post by whitestone »

This just popped up on STW. Aiguille who make rucksacks are now making a range of bikepacking bags. https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/produc ... bike-bags/ We got a sneak preview of the seat pack when Rich Munro posted up about last weekend's bivy ride he organised.

The Hamper Pouch looks to be a different take on the top tube bag.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Aiguille bikepacking kit

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tying the straps to the seat stays just seems kinda wrong. It might work but it seems wrong and looks like something broke mid-ride and you had to cobble it back together to get you home.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

:YMSICK:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Don't like look of seatpack or bar roll but as I'm in the market for a full frame bag the custom one fits the bill ,it's not the normal vx21 material anybody got any experience how it wears ,I'm presuming their rucksacks are made of the same material
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Does look as though I had a go at a MYOG harness.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Tying the straps to the seat stays just seems kinda wrong. It might work but it seems wrong and looks like something broke mid-ride and you had to cobble it back together to get you home.

How would it work on full suss frames or if you use a dropper post (or both)?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

middleagedmadness wrote:Don't like look of seatpack or bar roll but as I'm in the market for a full frame bag the custom one fits the bill ,it's not the normal vx21 material anybody got any experience how it wears ,I'm presuming their rucksacks are made of the same material
It looks like cordura. I’ve an alpkit framebag made from it, very marginally heavier than vx but much tougher. Better abrasion and puncture resistance.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

How would it work on full suss frames or if you use a dropper post (or both)?
It would not work as they would just shorten and I assume [ depending on hoe they are secured ] allow the seat bag to move around as the "stability" lines went loose
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I was with rich this last weekend while he was testing them

Stuff was nice, good quality and heavy duty

Seat pack still swayed a bit, and looked a bit floppy. Frame bag was nice, nice little OS map holder too. Bar bag converted into a rucksack for hike a bike, but it was massive!
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

As Ben says, it looks top quality & really well made. The material looks more heavy duty than anything else i've seen.

Really like the bar bag that converts to a back-pack, would be ideal for hike-a-bike sections :ugeek:
The frame bag also looks really good.
Not sold on the seat-pack though tbh, the seat-stay straps don't appeal to me as a good solution.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

When I saw the pic of the seat pack I thought the triangulation offered by the saddle rail straps wasn't great and that it would be wobble-prone. Happy to be corrected though.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

It needs a stiffened side or top, the side stabilising straps still create a pivot too near the front of the pack. Stiffened pieces would help move this 'pivot' further back
Scud

Post by Scud »

Although i am not one for style over substance, is it me or do they instantly look very dated? I think it is the colours used and their logos.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Although i am not one for style over substance, is it me or do they instantly look very dated?
I thought that and as previously said, they do look somewhat 'make your own'. Given the quality of some of the luggage that's now coming from China and the fact that many 'newbie' packers are now being led by an industry where looks are just as (maybe even more so) important than function, I do wonder how well they'll fair in the market? Especially one that's fairly well catered for at all and every level.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scud

Post by Scud »

I think that any new company now has to branch out and do something different and innovative, there are so many places you can place a bikepacking bag and they all now seem to go for the same solutions really.