Next question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Next question

Post by Mike »

Just bought an 11 46 sunrace 10 spd cassette. Any one using one and any feed back positive or negative. It's huge and heavy how does it shift??
I ask because iv not put it on yet incase I dont want to keep it.
whitestone

Re: Next question

Post by whitestone »

Not used the 46T cassette but have the 42T on the fat bike and the 40T on the Solaris, I'm just about to replace that with another. No discernable difference from an XT cassette IME. You might need some b-screw adjustment for the 46T.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

11/46, there's some big old gaps on that int' there :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I don't think it's as good as the system offered by Sram. Can't comment on Shimano (as they offer cr@p for large range 1x systems), but my girlfriend's Sunrace cassette is a p.i.t.a to get set right. Was a mistake, should've gone NX or GX.

A full Eagle system will outlast many other systems in my experience. I'm still on my first chains on the Eagle with one well beyond 2000 km and the other well beyond 1500 km by now. Usually my chains needed chainging after 700 - 1000 km...
Bearbonesnorm wrote:11/46, there's some big old gaps on that int' there :wink:
That's another point where 12x wins. If you really need that big a range, go 12x and pay for it. You'll enjoy the benefits of the Eagle, I'm sure.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've got that exact cassette on my CX bike. It's fine for gravel riding and saved me lots of money in upgrades/shifters etc... as I got it to work out of the box with a 9 speed XT mech and ultegra shifters.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I will say that although I've not used a 46t, the 42t Sunrace cassettes I've used have caused me no issues at all.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

I have the 42 at present and it works a treat but thought as I'm getting older I'd give the knees a bit more rest with a 46 and tbh ill use the 40 most of the time and save the 46 for special hills
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Gian, I know a lot of people rate the SRAM drivetrain but I've never had it on a bike - more because I know what's what with Shimano than any dislike of SRAM. Just did a quick pricing of GX Eagle 12spd vs XT 11spd (not sure if they are equivalent in terms of where they sit in the respective ranges) and the SRAM comes out at double that of the Shimano, that includes the cost of an XD freehub. NX is roughly the same price as the XT.

I don't really need the range of Eagle, 11-40/42 is enough for me here in the Dales, and for trips to Wales, the Lakes and Scotland. With a 30/42T lowest ratio if that isn't low enough then I'll be off and walking. At the top end I rarely use the 11T so why do I need a 10T? For me a 12spd 11-42T cassette would be more use with lower and/or more consistent gaps in the ratios.

Edit: I'm not even sure I've ridden a bike with SRAM gearing so I'll admit I'm completely in the dark about it.
Last edited by whitestone on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I have the 42t sunrace on my CX with a deore shadow derailleur and I find it great. I'm maybe not as fussy as some though when it comes to quick swift changes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Gaps aren't a problem, you just get used to them. The piece of string that are 12 speed chains are a problem, as is laying out in excess of £300 for a cassette!
Will be going to an 11-46 tooth sunrace when the current 11-42's wear out (6000 plus on the one on the Jones, using the 2 chain method). I'll be avoiding 11 and 12 for as long as possible....
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I guess I am missing the point but the high cost and low mileages quoted for the high end 1x systems makes me think that Rohloff looks like good value for money.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Hamish wrote:I guess I am missing the point but the high cost and low mileages quoted for the high end 1x systems makes me think that Rohloff looks like good value for money.
One of the reasons I miss mine, my XX1 10-42 cassette cost over £200, I’m on the second chain....the rohloff was just about run in after 2K and I changed the chain at 6K on the same sprocket. One bent alternator dropout replaced already.
The only downside is the weight, 1x systems shed a lot of the savings like the front mech and triple rings, but you can’t ignore the robustness and all condition shifting, nor the 500% gear range.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've got one. Seems ok. Not as nice shifting as shimano or sram but works fine.
It's made a funny noise in the larger cogs on the first ride but was soon covered in peak district grit so now makes the same grinding noise as anything else.

I liked the price. The ratios were better than the latest xt one which looks like mega range.

I've not tried eagle. But it looks good now that there's nx and gx to pick from.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote: I don't really need the range of Eagle, 11-40/42 is enough for me here in the Dales, and for trips to Wales, the Lakes and Scotland. With a 30/42T lowest ratio if that isn't low enough then I'll be off and walking. At the top end I rarely use the 11T so why do I need a 10T?
True, I ran 11-42/30 for the Wales C2C attempt, HT550 and 11-42/32 for an offroad trip from Jersey to Shetland myself. I'd likely be not so stuck to SRAM if I wouldn't live in Switzerland. A bunch of years ago the shifting feel of SRAM and Shimano was different, but know they feel the same. Regarding things like these, just going for the best price indeed seems the most sensible thing to do.

Sorry for the OT:
Hamish wrote:and low mileages quoted for the high end 1x systems
htrider wrote:The piece of string that are 12 speed chains are a problem
Own experience?

I've got two bikes with Eagle, one with a XX1 (no worries, got a killer deal) and the other with a XO1/GX mix and have been using them for about 17 (beyond 2000 km) and 14 months (beyond 1500 km) and have had absolutely nil issues, despite using the rear mech to dig up soil and shove rocks. As I write I just came back from the cellar to get the Bold out (XX1, > 2000 km) and checked chain streth. Well, it's just like new!

On my ssp bike with a ali chainring and steel cog and probably a 9x chain I've got to change the chain after about 3000 - 4000 km. Lately not going up many hills, so no super hard cranking which must have a large effect on chain stretch. Had a ssp chain from KMC that was done after about 2000 km... Of course the wear on the ali ring helps stretch the chain prematurely, but the stretch must be more now as the ring is pretty much done, but against what I would've expected, the 9x chains are lasting longer. I think it's important to find a system with components that harmonise, the narrower chain lying more precisely on the teeth than the wider 1x chain did. My ssp drivetrain needs a steel chainring and a chain just barely wide enough for the teeth, I guess.
With Eagle drivetrains it's easy. Just stay within the system as designed by SRAM and don't use 3rd party chainrings etc.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Replaced a SRAM 11-36 with a Sunrace 11-40 as a trial to see if it works and would it fit with the derailleur.
Easiest fit I can remember and plenty of room on the derailleur as the B screw is only about half way in on an X9 long cage RD.
Be careful with chain length. I ordered a 114 link and a preliminary wrap round 40 rear and 42 front including the magic link I think was about one link short.
Still its all working quietly and shifts well.
If I can find a longer chain might order an 11-42.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
burty

Post by burty »

I fitted one to the Krampus a while ago ,
no problems other than I had to buy a goat link to extend the rear mech :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Alpinum wrote:
htrider wrote:The piece of string that are 12 speed chains are a problem
Own experience?
Not so much in stretch terms, but in twisting - I guess a clutch mech cuts down on flap and therefore chances of twisting but it has happened to me whereby the chain twists so much that one of the links bends. When I see how narrow 11 and 12 speed chains are it seems they are going to be particularly susceptible. Plus they will wear quicker as there is less pin area. So a 10 speed chain is going to last longer than a similar quality 12.

its mainly the dosh that puts me off however....
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Same here , my deore kit may be the runt of the litter but ,it works well enough for me and if I need to drop weight off the set up it needs to come off my midrift first ,replaced cassette,chain,and front cranksets this year for just under £100 which suits me down the ground
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Hamish wrote:I guess I am missing the point but the high cost and low mileages quoted for the high end 1x systems makes me think that Rohloff looks like good value for money.
In the long run, it might be, but it is so heavy and draggy and the delicate shifting (my experience)... much prefer my Eagle set-up, even if it is a bit more vulnerable to damage. As for wear, it has been remarkably good, as Alpinium stated. Lee Craigie was also very impressed by it's longevity on the Tour Divide.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

htrider wrote:
Not so much in stretch terms, but in twisting - I guess a clutch mech cuts down on flap and therefore chances of twisting but it has happened to me whereby the chain twists so much that one of the links bends. When I see how narrow 11 and 12 speed chains are it seems they are going to be particularly susceptible. Plus they will wear quicker as there is less pin area. So a 10 speed chain is going to last longer than a similar quality 12.

its mainly the dosh that puts me off however....[/quote]

It's been 2 years since my last issue with a chain. Was on ssp, a wide ssp chain. Never had any twisted or bent links on the 12x. You might be right in theory. Sounds sensible to me, but in practise... See, perhaps they've actually made the chain stronger, by using more material (thicker) on the links. I've read in many places that the newest Eagle stuff was I don't know how many percent stronger. Marketing bs? Maybe. When I check my drivertrains though, I surely have the impression it's f@cking magic. Expensive, but quite different than everything I've used before.

The thing is, you need to run the full Eagle system to benefit from it. The way the ring's teeth grip the chain is quite different. Even the way it behaves in muck or snow/ice. I thing the interface chain-chainring is actually larger with Eagle then other setups save perhaps from well chosen ssp setup.

I've made the experience that a thicker chain in itself doesn't last longer/stretch less than a much narrower one, if it's too wide for the teeth gripping it.

At the current rate my Eagles are still running strong when all other systems I've used before needed new chains or even cassettes/rings. If it keeps on running this way, it'll suddenly be not that expensive anymore as you can get much more distance out of a chain or complete drivetrain.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Having to buy the whole drivetrain does make it a bit steep so to be objective about it all, I guess I'm just being tight... although I see its now available in the lower end groupsets for almost reasonable dosh so I've not even got that excuse....

On a related note I've just been having a look at the new XTR 12 speed https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/arti ... hub-52337/ and it does look good, but even more dosh :roll:

Sorry Mike we are way OT here!