hammock for a big un?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

hammock for a big un?

Post by ton »

is there a hammock suitable for a 294 lbs bloke?

and not like the ones on the endeavour in Whitby harbour........... :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Re: hammock for a big un?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Warbonnet:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/produ ... kbird-xlc/
Heavyweight Double Blackbird XLC:
Weight capacity: 400 LBS
Item weight (webbing/buckles): 2 lb. 8oz.
Item weight (whoopies): 2 lb 6oz.
Item Weight (continuous loops): 2lb 2oz
Fabric: 70D Nylon (x2)
There are probably plenty of others but this one springs to mind. Wait for their Black Friday sales and you might make a saving (got to order from US). Or get Mat at UKHammocks to make you a double layer one (I can't vouch for level of service you may or not receive - I've had great stuff but also been buggered about).

In UK you have UKHammocks and Snugpak. They're the two that spring to mind though I'm sure there are others.

If you are tall as well as heavy you will typically benefit from a bigger hammock (hence suggestion of XLC).
yeha

Post by yeha »

Look on the hammock forums. Most of the US made ones are for big lads. I'm just over 100kg and have no fear of mine failing. It's a Nomad XL. Might have come from Ronnie Sunshines. They're easy enough to make though and then you get to choose the material, or use 2 layers. I use climbing tape for the suspension.
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S.Eliot.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Tenth Wonder do some cheap and good quality double layers and XLs. Think they had an ebay shop.

At this time of year you won't need a built in bugnet but if you're thinking of using it during the warmer months then well worth it.

EDIT - having looked on TW's wite (google it) found this:
As of the middle of 2018 one of the 'we' is awol pretending to be dead/disappeared after pocketing all the available funds that we had (not Neil).

Suggest you avoid!
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

Hennessy Hammocks do a number of hammocks that are rated for people up to 300lb and 7ft https://hennessyhammock.co.uk/collectio ... bs#filters I'm at the other end of the scale, and have got a backpacker ultralight, really comfy, and easy to set up
jBay

Post by jBay »

I have the double skin Warbonnet Eldorado for the larger carbon unit.
Morebikes

Post by Morebikes »

I have just received an Easyhammock Classic. Only hung it once so far but all looks good. I bought the xl version, so 11ft length, and is wide as well.
They also do a double layer one which should add a bit more strength.
The website says they have tested up to 200kg, but rate to 120kg so a bit under what you are, but I think the 120 kg figure has a good safety margin on it.
The classic is uninsulated, but they do built in insulation as well. They are made to order so some customisation is possible, and uk made as well.
http://www.easyhammock.co.uk