Anti-corrosion frame protection

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Anti-corrosion frame protection

Post by whitestone »

Whilst perusing the MTBR forums I came across this thread - http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/anti-c ... 73581.html where the OP tests various anti corrosion products. I have to say I admire his persistence across several months of applying salt water to the tubing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Re: Anti-corrosion frame protection

Post by Lazarus »

fascinating but not sure how well it applies to the real world
techno

Post by techno »

and it seems that most of those products aren't available in the uk. shame.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 is my anti-corrosion product of choice. They do a clear version to which I spray onto external bits you can see (and on the edges of the bodywork on wheel arches of the car).
They've done some more testing than that bloke in a shed to various standards too. :-bd

The Por 15 stuff is rated highly, and the classic waxoyl stuff is the other one. I think waxoyl is c4rp.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I've used something I got from tool station last year, it's excellent stuff, still a lovely
Lubed coating in my frames months later and stickier than a sticky thing to apply :-bd
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

ACF 50 is what I've used on longitude , probably because it was free but it's what we used when I worked for Volvo trucks when we had problems with corrosion around various modules on their trucks ,once sprayed on for the time I was there no more issues
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thin and spray waxoyl using a schutz can on a compressor - you can get it up the down, top and seat tubes via the BB and head tube. The chainstays are more tricky but you can get it into the BB end which is where the worst corrosion occurs. ACF 50 for harder to get at bits like seat stays and all the wee link tubes - as per MAM, this stuff is ace put dear if you have to buy it!. Tape over any breather holes (or plug them with silicon) after the waxoyl has dried. I've gone back into frames several years old after doing this and the tubes have been mint inside.
techno

Post by techno »

htrider wrote:Thin and spray waxoyl using a schutz can on a compressor - you can get it up the down, top and seat tubes via the BB and head tube. The chainstays are more tricky but you can get it into the BB end which is where the worst corrosion occurs. ACF 50 for harder to get at bits like seat stays and all the wee link tubes - as per MAM, this stuff is ace put dear if you have to buy it!. Tape over any breather holes (or plug them with silicon) after the waxoyl has dried. I've gone back into frames several years old after doing this and the tubes have been mint inside.
One tin of acf 50 will be enough for one frame right?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Anyone a clue how a ED treated frame will fare?

I'm getting one soon and am wondering if it still needs some frame protection(?)

It's going to be my winter slapper and kind of keep the expensive plastic bikes from regular winter wear etc., so will see a fair amount of muck and snow & ice, which obviously will melt and run inside the tubing.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

techno mail wrote:
htrider wrote:Thin and spray waxoyl using a schutz can on a compressor - you can get it up the down, top and seat tubes via the BB and head tube. The chainstays are more tricky but you can get it into the BB end which is where the worst corrosion occurs. ACF 50 for harder to get at bits like seat stays and all the wee link tubes - as per MAM, this stuff is ace put dear if you have to buy it!. Tape over any breather holes (or plug them with silicon) after the waxoyl has dried. I've gone back into frames several years old after doing this and the tubes have been mint inside.
ACF 50 goes a long way. One can has done my steel bikes and my motorbike(s) for a few winters.
techno

Post by techno »

johnnystorm wrote:
techno mail wrote:
ACF 50 goes a long way. One can has done my steel bikes and my motorbike(s) for a few winters.
Brillo, thanks.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

The cans of ACF supplied to us were 750ml and I used a complete can , just having a look on Amazon I think you may be better of getting 2 as they seem to be 395ml ,but yep now I've seen the price think I'm gonna be phoning up the old store man to see if he's got any extras knocking about in the new year
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Yeah, ACF50 is pretty good stuff too - I used that in lots of places too. :cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The only thing I've found with ACF50 is that it doesn't skoosh very far - so good for dribbling into nooks and crannies, chain stays and seat stays but less good for getting up into the main tubes.
Alpinum wrote:Anyone a clue how a ED treated frame will fare?

I'm getting one soon and am wondering if it still needs some frame protection(?)

It's going to be my winter slapper and kind of keep the expensive plastic bikes from regular winter wear etc., so will see a fair amount of muck and snow & ice, which obviously will melt and run inside the tubing.
Probably still worth treating as its not a perfect corrosion proof coating, just better than bare metal.